Recommendation for 4x4 rental in Arusha, TZ needed

KaliCA

Can anyone recommend a self-drive outfitter located around Arusha? Looking to rent a 4x4 with roof tent and camping equipment.

Thanks.

• 3 months later...
Anthilltiger

We don't often see hired self-drive vehicles in TZ, but the ones we do see are Fortes, but I don't see know anything about them.

Check them out at http://www.fortescarhire.com

Edited by Anthilltiger

I have done some research about this topic & Fortes is the one I see mentioned most often - and people gave good feedback. They can also help you with campsite & other lodging bookings and route advice. They will be my first port of call if I decide to self drive in Northern Tanzania in the future.

• 3 months later...

Hello, you must be the person who's self-drive report to Zam amd Zim is posted here. I have read it last night and now I'm a little unsure whether to self-drive their in the future. You have had some bad experiences.

Anyway, thanks for researching about TZ. Fortes was my first call there as well, but they do not supply their Landies' cool box with a dual battery system, a must-have for us.

So then I stumbled upon a company called tanzania-pioneers.com, a joint venture of a German, Daniel Staub and his partner Nathan, an American (Safari Select) out of Arusha. We are renting two land rovers with cool box on dual battery system, and they have been making all the bookings. We got most of the special campsites in LM, Tarangire, and Serengeti that I requested and are only waiting on one more. So the trip will happen in August of 2015. My husband and I will be in Kruger for two weeks before TZ as well. For both trips we will have different couples join us. Can't wait. Are you going or have you been to TZ on a self-drive?

I'm researching visiting Zambia for 2016, but after reading your report, I'm a little anxious about making a commitment. Maybe you have some thoughts on that?

• 1 month later...

Shaw Safaris have excellent 4x4 land rovers, kitted out with everything you will need, and GPS co ordinates for different places. info@shawsafaris.com