advice for remain safe around elephants

COSMIC RHINO

http://www.news24.com/Travel/Guides/Bush/Surviving-a-charging-elephant-20140113

a usefull list which has been issued following a recent event in South Africa

then add the really obvious being in a car that is properly mainted, performs well and has good fuel supplies

I've said this a few times before and I'll say it again:

some of these advices only work in theory! Kruger is a park which at times becomes really busy, especially on the main tar roads lading from Malelane and Croc Bridge towards Skukuza. Some sections of these roads are really curvy which means that at times you are simply surprised by an elephant herd which all of a sudden blocks the road in front of you - and yes, this may well happen within their "comfort zone"! now you are advised to retreat - great advice which, however, only works if in the meantime no other elephants have appeared behind your car. This happened to me a few times and I am sure it has happended to other folks around here who regugarly self drive in KNP as well - now what? all you can do is stay still and hope they cross the road or pass you without feeling threatened.

Another not really unlikely scenario: you see them, keep your distance (!), waiting for them to cross the road in front of you. In the meantime other cars behind you start to pile up along the road. Of course in theory they will form a nice line, thus only blocking one half of the road. However, this is not what really happens. Just like you their progress is stopped, so they will at least want to have a better look, perhaps even take some pictures. In the end (sooner than later) the road is completely blocked, leaving you with NO means to retreat. Too bad if the elephants now decide to walk towards to - how are you now going to keep the smartly recommended safety distance?

@@ice i agree with the points you have made.

However, if you watch the video of what occurred the occupants of the car had opportunities to drive on past the elephant or reverse up. They clearly pushed their luck and unfortunately the poor elephant is the one that pays with its life.

@@Geoff

I totally agree with you, the driver of this car could and should have acted way differently - the point I want to make is that these "general" advices are fine "in general", however sometimes (actually, for my taste and especially the taste of mrs ice, too many times) in kruger you'll find yourself in situations which are exceptions from the general rule, situations as described above

and let's not forget; Kruger has way too many elephants; I'm sure this put extra stress on these elephants

@@ice i agree with the points you have made.

However, if you watch the video of what occurred the occupants of the car had opportunities to drive on past the elephant or reverse up. They clearly pushed their luck and unfortunately the poor elephant is the one that pays with its life.

from personal experiences, I don't think trying to drive past it would have been a smart option - retreat and nothing else