Anita

PLEDGE: Koiyaki guiding school-Safaritalk Scholarship for women guides: 2014

23 posts in this topic

Could people who are interested in the sponsorship ( like last year), send a PM to GW ( @@Game Warden with their commitment amount so we can have an estimate of how many girls we can sponsor this year. Many thanks!

These are the links from last year-

1.) Pault's visit in December 2013

http://safaritalk.net/topic/12025-koiyaki-guiding-school-december-2013/?hl=koiyaki

2.) The scholarship thread from last year

http://safaritalk.net/topic/9806-safaritalk-guiding-scholarship/?hl=koiyaki

3.) How it all started

http://safaritalk.net/topic/9771-why-arent-there-more-female-guides/page-2?hl=koiyaki#entry81616

GW or I will get back asap on some of the following info:

a.) Progress report on current 2 sponsored girls

b.) When does the new school year start

c.) Possible candidates for scholarship

d.) School fees this year and what percentage of school fees are sponsors advised to cover. For example, last year the school fees was USD 2300 and it was advised that USD 300 per girl should be paid by their family so they have some kind of commitment and equity in the whole thing - a very positive plan.

If you need any other info, just ask the questions here. Once again, big thanks!

bumping this back up to the top of the new content queue.

1 person likes this

Already have US $275 375 pledged: thank you to those who have done so.

Matt

(edited)

I may not be able to donate this year sadly as I have some unexpected expenses. :wacko:

If I could start selling more art things would be better, but I'm about the world's worst marketer.

We could auction a print to raise funds.

Now is that a response to your concern about not being able to donate or your concern over your marketing skills?

You don't need to respond. I just liked the thought - you shouldn't feel obliged to consider it seriously. @@twaffle

1 person likes this

I wonder if we shouldn't add wording "pledge here" to the subject of the thread? Possibly overkill, but discussing it will keep the thread naturally bumped.

Ok few updates:

1.) Sponsoring each girl is USD 2000

2.) The final list of students that the school will finalise for scholarships is likely to be ready by end February. This is following the receipt of application and the interview process which I presume they are in the middle of now.

3.) Current batch of students are expected to graduate in August - It is currently a 1.5 years course but might get further extended as students are now taking the KNEC exam as well as KGS exams.

@@pault yup maybe one of the moderators can include the word Pledge there

US $825 pledged so far. Matt.

1 person likes this

Now is that a response to your concern about not being able to donate or your concern over your marketing skills?

You don't need to respond. I just liked the thought - you shouldn't feel obliged to consider it seriously. @@twaffle

I'd happily donate a print to raise money, however my worry is that no one would think it worth bidding on and then I'd have to resign from ST in embarrassment. :(

US $860 pledged so far...

@@Game Warden Could we make this a permanent item on the home page until the deadline, so it's always visible to STers?

I've pinned it for now. Most members I think use the View new content option, so by topping the topic every now and again will serve as a reminder as well.

I'd happily donate a print to raise money, however my worry is that no one would think it worth bidding on and then I'd have to resign from ST in embarrassment. :(

Wouldn't happen!

1 person likes this

Update from the school on the two girls we sponsored last year: Recently both Simon Nkoitoi the Director/Principal of the school and Roelof Schutte- Manager Asilia Naboisho Camp and actively involved with the school, sent some updates to share with all Safaritalkers. Roelof has also co-ordinated with the board of the school to ensure that we can liase both with the school as well as Kenya Wildlife Trust for future sponsorship and he will update us on progress. Matt and I will also make it a point to more actively ask for an update.

So both Sophie and Leah are doing very well. Here is a quote from Roelof's email ( he met them just today and specifically went to the school to get updates for us, many thanks to him for this)

I am very happy to report that both of them are doing really well, they are in great spirit and enjoying the course tremendously. I like both of them, they speak very good English and think that they will one day be great guides. They are bright and motivated and have lots of confidence.

On an academic level they are doing great as well, the both passed with Credit on their overall scores so far, (they passed all their subjects so far, by a high margin!)

Here's a recent picture of both of them that Roelof took today:

gallery_8193_865_260908.jpg

And here is what Simon has forwarded to Roelof and us to be put up here as well:

All okay at Koiyaki Guiding School and students are back from their holidays. I would like to thank SAFARI TALK for all the great support to have the 2 girls go through a one year guiding course at Koiyaki Guiding School. I would like to thank all those who contributed for the success and for
securing funds to have the two young Maasai girls from poor families get education

Further messages from the girls themselves:

1.) Sophie Sialo Njapit

Home area: Lemek Location, Narok South District

Parents: Both are not alive

Education: High School

Work experience: Worked with Loita Mineral Water Company, 2011. That’s when I learnt of Koiyaki Guiding School and applied to join. Reason, I was still determined to continue with education despite being an orphan.

• Joined Koiyaki Guiding School 2012 and sponsored by SAFARI TALK

Expectation: To set good guiding standards in and outside the Masai Mara, become a role model in my Community; help my 3 young brothers and 1 sister.

Word to SAFARI TALK: Thank you so much for the great support to pay for my school fees to pursue a one year Guiding course at Koiyaki Guiding School

2.) Leah Namunyak Morompi

Home area: Lemek Location in Narok West Constituency

• Parents: Both are alive (very poor family; no cows and this is Maasai prestige)

Education background: Neighbours sponsored me to join high school, my parents could not afford to pay fees

• Have 2 brothers and 2 sisters

My vision: to become a professional Tour guide and an environmentalist. Also to be a role model of girls in my community where few girls have gone to school

To SAFARI TALK: A big THANK you for making my dream a reality

6 people like this

Now we need to work on getting them placed as well :)

1 person likes this

@@Game Warden - Sorry I placed them in this thread - just thought would help with people to get more background for the pledge for this year. Please feel free to move or copy it to different threads.

Good work, @@Anita. Thank you for filling in the blanks. And thank you to Roelof too, in case he reads us.

Sorry I placed them in this thread

@@Anita - what I meant was work placement :)

Sorry I placed them in this thread

@@Anita - what I meant was work placement :)

@@Game Warden I know!!! It was just something that struck to me separately. Re placements, I did mention to Roelof that if there are any challenges the girls are facing, it would be good to maybe share it here incase there are operators who read. But it seems the girls have really cracked it, if there is more, will definitely put up here, else I look forward to being guided by them one day.

Really loved hearing the updates and seeing photos as it brings to life what was achieved by Safaritalk members.

Is anyone planning to visit the Koiyaki School whilst in the Mara this year to meet our students and see how they are getting on?

When and how do we need to forward the pledged money for 2014?

Same question as Safari Cal's...when and how?