Safaritalk Big Year 2014. Take Part...

Game Warden

Take part in Safaritalk's "Birding Big Year" 2014.

If taking part, (purely for fun, although who knows, there might be a prize for the winner), these are the rules...

1. Start a new topic, the title of which will be your Safaritalk Display name.
  2. Upload one picture per species, include when and where taken and tech specs.
  3. Only upload images taken on or after 1st Jan, 2014.
  4. No cheating and delving into photo archives, if you saw a bird but couldn't get a photo, too bad...
  5. Species can be from around the world, not just Africa, so if you get pics of those birds which visit your garden, upload them too.
  6. Do encourage other members taking part in the Big Year: it's a friendly competition so there can be friendly rivalry, but most of all it's about getting out there and enjoying birdwatching.

If you can think of anything else that should be included in the rules, please say below and I'll edit them into the list.

So, who's in?

Matt.

armchair bushman

eh.... I would be in except for the photo part. not all of us have the resources to buy cameras that can take picture of birds 100m away in a bush.

When I go out birding I almost never have my camera nearby (much less, switched on and ready to click).

I enjoy birding for the fun of it, not for the photo opportunities. Doesn't a big year normally work on the honour system? If you say you've seen a bird, we just have to take your word for it. After all, we're not Bostick or Vanderpoel competing for "best birder in the world". It's all in good fun.

Anyway, I may do my own big year just for the hell of it, but don't think I'll be taking photos, unless great ones present themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

So, has anyone started their Big Year yet?

I'll give it a go but as I have no trips planned for this year (yet) the chances will be few and far between although as you say it's just for a laugh.

• 2 weeks later...

Come on then, who's going to start their own ST Big Year topic and start listing the birds they've seen... (and uploading images)?

• 2 months later...
Game Warden

Seen will do, but of course, with photos it is more interesting and helps other members with identification...