Show us your Eland photos...

madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Hello,

great idea of starting a new thread so as not to hijack the trip report ..........

I have a theory from the sighting of Roan in Tsum Tsum this past October (they are normally super shy although I've seen them relax at times and I've read reports of super relaxed Roan in Kafue) ........ If you are already in a place (waterhole and waiting with patience) they come and drink and do their thing. Movement and noise is more of a threat to shy animals (Just my opinion ofcourse) .....

What say?

All that said - I'd love to see those super sized mega herds of Eland; just as exciting as the great migration or the big buffalo herds in the Kwando.

Still not cheetah ......... ;) although these guys won't drain every drop of energy and sweat out of you!

EDIT - Have edited just now (for content purposes) 

Edited by madaboutcheetah

eland are not endangered but not oftyen seen ,especially in groups of ablove one.

However, I briefly sited a group of around 10 in Lewa last year

Now that we are officially talking about Eland

post-43899-0-00285800-1385540908_thumb.jpg

This is one of 2 herds of 40-50 eland on the Swartberg Private Reserve in Klein Karoo. They are very shy and although there are big bulls, there are none as pumped as that one of @@wilddog which must be on steroids.

madaboutcheetah

Bigger than 3000 herd? Wow -

Let's include that here....... ;)

Only an italian could see a herd of 300 eland in Bologna :D (Oops, sorry former member, you said Bologonja)

Edited by Tdgraves
p

africapurohit

This past August I saw herds of around 20-40 eland in Mkomazi and one herd of 50+ in northern Serengeti just behind Serian Camp. I have previously seen herds of 50+ in southern Serengeti and the Masai Mara.

These are 2 of the largest eland bull's I've got close to, but they hadn't been on steroids

post-43899-0-78538700-1385553074_thumb.jpg

post-43899-0-91523200-1385553124_thumb.jpg

Oops, actually it is the same eland.

Edited by Soukous

madaboutcheetah

Keep it to Elands?

Yes, Sir!!! We shall.... ;)

A tribute to the eland! There are three races of the common eland. Some specimens exhibit hybrid forms.

gallery_6003_377_389353.jpg

(1) Cape eland (photo taken at DeHoop Nature Reserve, South Africa) - pale, dull color, adults lack body stripes, generally "leggier" in appearance. They occur in Namibia (except the far north and the Caprivi Strip), southern Botswana, South Africa and the extreme south of Mozambique. Places you are likely to see them: Etosha, Kgalagadi, Kruger, Central Kalahari.

gallery_6003_377_518595.jpg

(2) Livingstone's eland (photo taken at Nchila Wildlife Resreve, Zambia) - darker than the Cape eland, adults have 6-10 stripes on the sides, dark brown band on the rear side of the forelegs. They occur in the extreme north and the Caprivi Strip in Namibia, northern Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Zimbabwe and northern Mozambique. Places you are likely see them: Chobe/Linyanti/Kwando, Luangwa, Kafue, Hwange, Mana Pools.

gallery_6003_377_299115.jpg

(3) Patterson's eland (photo taken at Nairobi National Park) - generally darker and more rufous than the Livingston'e eland, females bright rufous, more prominent body stripes, dark brown band on the rear side of the forelegs. They occur in southern Sudan, southwestern Ethiopia, Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania. Places you are like to see them: Nairobi National Park, Serengeti/Mara, Laikipia, Tsavo, Ruaha, Tarangire, Selous, the Chyulus, Katavi. Some consider the southern Tanzanian population to be hybrids of Patterson's and Livingstone's.

The first Mega herd of eland I saw estimated at +/- 1,000 animals back in 1998 was on the plains somewhere between Shifting Sands and Ndutu at the time we were driving from the Crater to Ndutu, they were so far away that in my one photo (at least the scanned version) it’s almost impossible to tell that they’re actually eland so I'm not sure there's any point in posting it.

I’m not sure exactly where the other big herd/s were but I think we were heading north towards Piaya or somewhere roughly in that direction, they must have been too far away to photograph as I didn’t take any photos of them which is why I’m not too sure of the lexact ocation.

The following photos may answer your question about the eland on the Nyika although I think they may have already been on the move before we spotted them.

gallery_6520_942_102049.jpg

gallery_6520_942_169134.jpg

While there are plenty of eland on the Nyika this was the only large herd we saw otherwise we were actually quite unlucky and only really saw a few individual bulls, so I can’t really say just how approachable they are. I think it used to be possible to get fairly close to them on horseback but that option is not available anymore; I don’t know how many visitors the Nyika gets since Wilderness took over Chelinda Lodge but I wouldn’t think too many. The park certainly didn’t get that many before so the eland don’t get to see that many tourists.

At the opposite extreme to my experience in the Serengeti/NCA in Hwange I've seen just two eland hardly what you'd call a herd.

Edited by inyathi

They are most likely Cape eland, though they may have hybridized with Livingstone's. It is interesting that the eland, despite being the most mobile and nomadic of all antelopes, developed these races.

Another eland on steroids that can match Wilddog's eland in Mana...

gallery_6003_377_747231.jpg

Tsavo West - near Lake Jipe

Edited by Safaridude

madaboutcheetah

Seriously!!!! Look at his neck!

• 1 month later...

The Mana light really is wonderful :)

Your photos are beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Gorgeous elands. I believe eland are some of the tastiest prey per the lion's palette.

• 1 month later...
Game Warden

I have moved this topic to the Africa images subforum and renamed it.

• 1 month later...
madaboutcheetah

Here's one from Mara Plains ..........

post-308-0-02529000-1397094374_thumb.jpg

Tsavo West 2007

Eland.jpg

Eland2.jpg

CapitanBurton

Part of a big herd in the Selous.

post-20776-0-30131000-1397239161_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
madaboutcheetah