Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Cooking on an open fire.

@Wilderness Safaris

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 John1132

John1132

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Local time: 04:58 PM
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:---

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:49 AM

Arriving at a truly remote camp (as most Wilderness Safari camps are), and being asked to prepare meals for paying guests was at first a truly daunting task. No stainless steel clad kitchens, ranges or even walk-in- coolers; this was not familiar territory for me.

Cooking on an open fire is strangely not something I was taught at chef school. I quickly realised that I would have to rely entirely on the Wilderness Safaris Chefs who have mastered the skill, and were luckily keen to share their knowledge with me.This is a remarkable skill, judging temperature by holding your hand over the coals and adjusting the number of coals to maintain a consistent temperature can only be taught on the job, and it is not easy!

To cook most dishes on an open fire we use ‘Dutch ovens’ - of various sizes and shapes. This is a bare cast iron casserole dish which in some cases has three legs but can also have none. It has a wire bail handle, and a slightly concave, rimmed lid so that coals can be placed on top as well as below. This provides a uniform internal heat similar to a conventional oven. Dutch ovens are well suited for long, slow cooking, such as roasts, stews, and casseroles but can also be used to prepare biscuits, cakes, breads, pizzas, and even pies. These ovens can also be stacked on top of each other, conserving the heat that would normally rise from the hot coals on the top.

Recently, while up at Serra Cafema Camp, the head chef, Matheus Shanyenge (an expert at cooking on an open fire) suggested making a vegetable Lasagne for lunch on the banks of the Cunene River.  Great idea – not easily executed.  I have added a couple of pictures of the outcome – well done Matheus! 

Attached File  VegLasagne.png   1.21MB   1 downloads

#2 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 14,002 posts
  • Local time: 01:58 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:36 AM

That looks delicious and really well presented: how difficult is it obtaining fresh basil and oregano where you are? A nice glass of red and some home cooked garlic bread as a side?

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#3 John1132

John1132

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:06 PM

@Game Warden 

Fresh herbs are grown at the camp :)

Wine: perhaps a Pinot Noir or a chilled Chardonnay would complement the creamy vegetable lasagne well. 

#4 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 14,002 posts
  • Local time: 01:58 PM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:10 PM

Ah, great! Any photos of the herb gardens?

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#5 Whyone?

Whyone?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Local time: 02:58 PM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:03 PM

Superb cooking skills!

Wild basil is easy to collect in Mana - great for cooking and makes a delicious salad dressing.

#6 ZaminOz

ZaminOz

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,383 posts
  • Local time: 09:58 PM
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:16 PM

Bush cooking is truly more art than science ... But what an art!
Warning, if any safari camps wish to employ me as a guide, I expect a salary far, far, more commensurate than my actual experience!

#7 John1132

John1132

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:49 AM

Ah, great! Any photos of the herb gardens?

I'll be sure to snap some pics of the herb garden when I next visit! :) 

© 2006 - 2014 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.
Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.