The Hwange Files

Alex The Lion

Alex The Lion

Lets all share our images from our safaris in Hwange National Park.

I will kick start with image from the drought conditions of 2007 in the Makalolo concession.

Zimbabwe.jpg

Even though I can imagine the harsh conditions, it has a serene feel to it. How bad was the drought for wildlife?

This was taken last month. His name is Goose and is the father of the three lions running the Mohican pride - Daniel, Day and Lewis. (Daniel was sadly shot charging at a ranger).

10502001255_6846c81509_b.jpg

I uploaded a photograph of the pride - about 20 of them - to the lions section.

Alex The Lion

Even though I can imagine the harsh conditions, it has a serene feel to it. How bad was the drought for wildlife?

@gamewarden

Lions just sit at the waterhole and prey on the weak. The ellies are a nightmare, incredibly stressed as they travel up to 40km per day between feeding areas and water sources.

Alex The Lion

A buffalo enjoying the time of plenty in a seasonal pan.

Hwange.jpg

Not exactly a wildlife shot, but this was spotted at Mandavu Dam.

10502976434_ff60111cde_b.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for starting this Russell. Hwange is on my list for next year so it is great to see what i can expect.