See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Safari of a different kind...

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,856 posts
  • Local time: 12:10 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:53 AM

I'm impressed with your dining companions!  Still hoping you have your roasted chestnut sighting.

When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

#62 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,081 posts
  • Local time: 12:10 PM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:25 AM

Aha, the sightings continue. Still back in the UK now?

Waiting again... for the next time again

#63 KasperW

KasperW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Local time: 07:10 AM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:42 AM

No offense, but it seems there are no big bulls left in UK? Did they take out the prime game?

#64 samburumags

samburumags

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  • Local time: 06:10 AM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:47 PM

Is there recognised "Big Five" in that area?  e.g. The Queen, Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, London Bobby, Big Red Bus???

Brilliant TR GW, I got to it a bit late I know but it was well worth the read.

But, in the gathering darkness, deep behind my soul, someone, something whispers "Africa"" (Mark Owens "Secrets of the Savannah")

#65 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:51 AM

No time for cultural sight seeing on this London Safari @samburumags : it was wildlife or bust and the last day gave me the opportunity to drop in on... 

gallery_1_930_194700.jpg

gallery_1_930_15729.jpg

Marc Reading and Byron Shirto from www.talkingstickmktg.com who were representing Ngoma Safari Lodge in Chobe - www.ngomasafarilodge.com: Marc is also on the board of The Southern Africa Travel Organisers Association (SATOA) and did a stirling job hosting the dinner on Tuesday night and raising funds for Save the Rhino Internal. The Botswana Tourism stand was large with many properties represented and alas I did not have the opportunity to photograph everyone in the ST pith helmet...

A stand that proved to be very busy across the three days I was at the show was the next one, and, the one at which I'll end my London Safari experience. It was a great shaded location in which I got to sit down in the heat of the day and just watch the migration pass me by in the company of...

gallery_1_930_100036.jpg

Anke Cowan from Kafunta, (Zambia) - www.luangwa.com.

gallery_1_930_314061.jpg

Pippa Turner from Kafue Camps - www.kafuecamps.com representing Mayukuyuku Bush Camp.

gallery_1_930_47561.jpg

Laura Sommariva from Konamoya Lodges, (Kafue NP) - www.konkamoya.com

gallery_1_930_38309.jpg

Lastly, Tim and Mandy Henshall from www.kamilisafaris.com who were representing a number of properties in addition to those from Zambia above. Every morning my welcome to the Excel Center was "The Bush Breakfast" which Tim and Mandy hosted, at which various presentations were given covering different countries: this invited some good conversation and a chance to meet and get to know everyone before the more serious part of the day began. So a big thank you to them both for making me feel part of the whole event: their hospitality did not end with the bush breakfasts and I was made to feel very welcome at the Kamili stand and there was always time for a chat. Both Tim and Mandy are very passionate and enthusiastic about Africa and this is evidenced in the way they interact with people who dropped by during the day. Without them, their kindness and friendship over the three days I was there, WTM would just not have been the same.

And thus as I left London Docklands behind, standing amongst other wearied travellers on the DLR, there was a sense that everything was over and the buzz which had been evident especially on the Tuesday was now gone. I was like a balloon a few days after a party, one sellotaped to a wall but that was deflated and going wrinkly. I had blisters on my feet, my legs ached and I was tired but knew that I could sleep on the plane on the way home.

Would I choose London as a Safari destination in the future? Yes. Of course. Same time, same place, in 2014... WTM London, I'll see you there :)

• Sangeeta, samburumags and TonyQ like this

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#66 Super LEEDS

Super LEEDS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Local time: 05:10 AM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:10 PM

I'm at ExCel next week, @Game Warden, for the BETT Show - I wish this exhibition was still on!

#67 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

@Super LEEDS You'll have to come down in November for WTM :)

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#68 samburumags

samburumags

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:13 PM

One fabulous trip report, deserves a pith with bar!  Great writing, you could help Mr Park out any day. 

But, in the gathering darkness, deep behind my soul, someone, something whispers "Africa"" (Mark Owens "Secrets of the Savannah")

#69 alexabram

alexabram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 19 December 2015 - 05:00 PM

Right!

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.