Land Rover announce the end of the Defender

JohnR

The last Land Rover Defender will roll off the production line in Solihull in December 2015, bringing to an end a 67-year history of different versions of the model.

The full BBC news article can be found via this link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-24458499

They'll be running in Africa for a few decades yet I imagine.

• 2 weeks later...
armchair bushman

As much as I'm not a big fan of Landies, it'll be a shame when the defender is discontinued. it's iconic, and no disco or range can ever replace it.

• 2 weeks later...

Great to look at, horrible to drive in unless they've had the top cut off to make a game vehicle conversion.

What will all those mechanics and garages do if there are no more Defenders to repair?

• 2 weeks later...

Great to look at, horrible to drive in unless they've had the top cut off to make a game vehicle conversion.

What will all those mechanics and garages do if there are no more Defenders to repair?

Not very nice hey @@Soukous,have you ever driven a new Puma 130 yet .I have driven them all ,and nothing beats this 4x4 in any terrain !!!!!

No @@A&M, I've never driven a Puma 130. It doesn't surprise me to hear that they are awesome off road though.

Don't get me wrong, I've huge respect for the off road capabilities of the Defender, but I've lost too much skin off my elbows for them to be a friend.

No @@A&M, I've never driven a Puma 130. It doesn't surprise me to hear that they are awesome off road though.

Don't get me wrong, I've huge respect for the off road capabilities of the Defender, but I've lost too much skin off my elbows for them to be a friend.

@@Soukous ,yes me too, elbows always seem to get in the way ,but not so in the Puma's ,looks like a better design for the interior than the older models.It is an awesome off road 4x4 ,not for sissies though ,it is hard ,and you really have to load it to get any comfort out of it.6 speed box and loads of power on and off road.

Has anyone else noticed that the new Defender concept bears an uncanny resemblance to the Skoda Yeti?

Can't say i have @@BigBaldIan, any photos you can share with us?

@@Soukous ,yes me too, elbows always seem to get in the way ,but not so in the Puma's ,looks like a better design for the interior than the older models.It is an awesome off road 4x4 ,not for sissies though ,it is hard ,and you really have to load it to get any comfort out of it.6 speed box and loads of power on and off road.

Is that the one built by Tata? :D

I will agree to a certain extent. As some of you may know I do compete in a local 4x4 extreme challenge, and have some pretty hectic 4x4's. I will admit to having some serious respect for landrover, but will add that at the end of the person behind the steering wheel is the one who makes the difference.

It will be sad to see the defender go, but it seems vehicle manufactures are driven by some mystical force, and cant seem to design a vehicle based on functionality anymore.

Maybe functionality doesn't sell anymore.

One reason for me never to sell my 130 ,as it gets better looked after than my (wife) and will be very hard to replace ,wife is easy to replace . :P

:D Answer to the question is ,NO !!!

It is only a concept model so far so hopefully it will never get off the ground .Nice for some Sandton rich ladies to hop the pavements with . :D

@@COSMIC RHINO,we are talking about serious off road 4x4's here ,not the above.And for 150,000 UK pounds one could by a hotel here never mind some fancy car . ;)

Bit loooong for a Yeti, but they've definitely smoothed the edges.

Won't get far off road on those tyres though.

@@BigBaldIan well there you go they take the "best 4x4xfar" and put slicks on to make it the best 4x4 on tar.... I rest my case. Do these manufacturers know what they are doing.

I am lost for words here.

It does look like a bit of a shabby attempt to copy the Jeep wrangler.

I am sorry but now I need to go and poke out my minds eye.

No matter what we think, you just have to look at the number of Chelsea tractors on the road to see that the motor manufacturers know what they are doing. I bet Land Rover are selling thousands more vehicles now than they were when they just made Defenders for farmers and the army.

If you're wanting pure mentalism, Lamborghini are planning to make a production version of the Urus.

However call me cynical but since Tata own Land Rover/Jaguar, any bets that the new Defender will be marketed on name and replace the Discovery/Freelander platforms? Taking a leaf from the premium hatch market (think BMW Mini, Citroën DS3 et al) there'd be short/long wheelbase versions with aesthetic packages tailored for the market. The SWB would replace the Freelander, LWB the Discovery and by rationalising platforms Tata would stand to make significant cost savings.

Meanwhile there'd be a rebranded classic Defender, perhaps built in India which would be marketed accordingly.

Edited by BigBaldIan

Have they not moved the LR factory to India or part there of ??

The Bentley SUV or the Range Rover is what the precious person in the expensivr suburb around the world take to boutiques, cafes, the shopping centre, an expensive hotel, perhaps to a polo field so everyone think they actually touch the earth.

Then don't forget the accessory of spray can mude to make it look like it has gone of road for anything other than a picnic with plenty of expensive grog.

The same sort of people like the British couple I saw at Vic falls , who were feeling hot and got relief from spray can evian water, instead of standing in the spray. Yes I mean they were at the actual waterfalls, not the town.

Land Rovers are well regarded by safari operators in South Africa.

armchair bushman

Defenders are becoming less popular here in Kenya. The whole appeal of the defender was the simplicity of design and maintenance. Both of those have gone out the window with all the fancy electronics and gizmos. It's no longer a good safari car for safari operators. Not so each to chop and change the body anymore. And nearly impossible to repair in the bush with a spanner and a pair of pliers. In fact the only way to fix the new ones is with a computer diagnostics kit.

landcruisers (Pickups and troop carriers), on the other hand, have kept their very simple straight 6 diesel engine with no fancy electronics or computer regulators. In fact it's only in the last year that they've begun to fit A/C in the cruisers for the Kenyan market (I understand it's different elsewhere).

Still it will be sad to see the demise of the Classic Landy look.