Having a Whale of a time in Zavora, Tofo, Kruger and Sabi Sand

kittykat23uk

Who would guess the water based part of your trip would start with a mouse in the loo? Glad the mouse and its spouse had a happy ending. @@michael-ibk, you either have a tremendous memory or an unusual affinity for toilet tales.

It was lovely whale watching with you, kittikat! The video approach is the way to go because, as you experienced, a breach can occur out of nowhere at any moment.

Ocean conditions are even harder to predict than land conditions I have found. Like you I appreciate land and marine creatures, but limit my underwater viewing to snorkeling or good visibility from the boat. Your dog friend must have figured out how to survive to be around two years later.

I think @@pault needs to take a Bonine. That over the counter med always works for me for nausea prevention.

How cold was the water?

Looking forward to Kruger and Sabi Sands.

@@Atravelynn

Actually, it´s...hm... I think I prefer not to answer this. :)

Thanks, it was cold enough to need a full wetsuit if going under. :)

Leaving the sea legs behind and on to Kruger…

Bush baby! Way to go! And more bush babies. Even a standing up bush baby.

The sunbirds surrounded by flowers are lovely. Even the flowers without the birds are lovely.

Nice spoonbill spooning. The pied kingfisher with a fish is a great shot.

I see your source for the bat shot in issue #1 of the Safaritalk magazine. Beautiful shot!

In post #36 it says the video is private. The other videos I have looked at all work.

I have never seen a monitor with a mouthful of turtle. From your comments it appeared the monitor was not able to get the turtle.

A civet in daylight is such a rarity. Looks like it had a small wound.

Two cheetahs is nothing much according to the Americans!!?? To my ears those are fighting words issued by my countrymen! I would not resort to violence over a slight to my favorite cat but when they were late someone might have to hold me back from taking a swing.

Three leopards makes up for the one you missed out on earlier. That worst of times shortage of petrol could have turned out much worse. Glad it wasn’t too bad.

I was just about to accuse you of forgetting to document the spider episode when I found the video. You disposed of it handily and humanely. I could relate because I had a spider encounter on my last trip too but I was much less proactive than you were.

You have also shown your considerable artistic skills in this report. Love that porcupine! And the other pastels. This is turning into Gallery Night.

Morkel Erasmus

@@kittykat23uk lovely report - you just reinforced the fact that there are really few places in Southern Africa that can sport the vast biodiversity of the Greater Kruger Park.

I think the pride of lions on the rock between Skukuza and Lower Sabie are rockstars - have found them on that same rock even up to 4 years ago...:)

• 1 year later...

@@kittykat23uk

That was one heck of a trip! Leopards almost too numerous to count :) rhino galore, a charging one during the walk and a civet cat in daylight. An all the rest. Hearing the humpback singing must have been so special! I was amazed at how much variety of wildlife and birdlife you saw. Great photos and lovely drawings as well.

kittykat23uk

@@CaroleE thank you, glad you enjoyed it! Hearing whale song underwater in zero vis was the most haunting experience ever! I am planning a trip to Ethiopia (still looking for a female share) at the moment for nov or dec this year and am also off to Finland next month for a short break.

@@kittykat23uk

Ethiopia. Will be very interested to hear how that trip is. Always been on my list to visit, the rock churches have always fascinated me for some reason. It also looks like a beautiful country.

• 4 months later...

~ @@kittykat23uk

For months I've not read trip reports as I was trying to finish my own.

Tonight it seemed time to read a trip report all the way through.

I picked this one. It's turned out to be a superb read from start to finish.

Your porcupine drawing is superb! Such talent with a complex subject!

The rain spider tale is enough to make me look twice before entering a bathroom.

Civets, rhinos, touracos, elephants, monitors, leopards, leopards and more leopards!

Although the ongoing Internet interference where I live prevented me from seeing many photos, those which I was able to see were terrific!

I enjoy your easygoing commentary. A joy to read.

Thank you so much for having prepared and posted this.

Tom K.

Glad you enjoyed it! I shall be heading back to South Africa soon to help protect wild dogs :)

Glad you enjoyed it! I shall be heading back to South Africa soon to help protect wild dogs :)

~ @@kittykat23uk

Really? GREAT!

That's admirable direct service to wildlife.

The South African wild dogs I saw on three different days last month made a strong impression.

Such lively animals, bright-eyed, continuously reinforcing their pack bonds.

That you'll be heading there to protect them is encouraging news!

Tom K.