Game Warden

Safari countdown...

870 posts in this topic

23 days until we are in the Kruger again

3 people like this

42 days 22 hours until India...

Just had some last minute changes--turned out one of the lodges we were booked at has gone out of business! So now in Gir, instead of Lion Safari Camp (defunct!) we are now staying at Gir Birding Lodge. I think that may end up being a better choice anyway.

Additionally we added a small detour to stop at Mt. Abu for birding on the way from Little Rann of Kutch to Bera, this was at the suggestion of Wild World India.

Now I am working on creating the daily bird checklist and the packing lists...

1 person likes this

Don't forget your VISA @janzin during your busy preparing. 

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, Botswanadreams said:

Don't forget your VISA @janzin during your busy preparing. 

Thanks @Botswanadreams Got it a few weeks ago :)

1 person likes this

Last day of this safari, 075 till next one :D!

4 people like this

On 11/7/2017 at 6:03 AM, cjt3 said:

Almost out of triple digits!  100 days until our first safari (Rwanda, Kenya, and Tanzania).

And before we have even taken that first trip, we have booked a second for next year.  In 290 days, we are going to David Lloyd's great migration photo safari followed by Amboseli and Lewa.

The countdown begins in earnest now.  Four weeks until our first safari!

5 people like this

Less than a month before I go to the land of the rising sun for my mammal detox. I just wish it were the right time of the year to visit rabbit island! 

1 person likes this

Just under 4 weeks before I return to Kambaku River Sands in the Timbavati.  This time I have my wife and 2 friends with me, none of whom have been on safari before. I also have a new camera to play with. KRS are offering 3 hour walking safaris in place of morning game drives which is new this year and sounds to be rather more than the 'wandering around in the midday heat looking at animal dung' walks I have done elsewhere in the past - I will report back.

After that Mrs pomkiwi and I will be spending 3 days walking and being pampered in the Western Cape...

Posted (edited)

The bonus is that Kambaku reminded me that I had 2 days private vehicle use that I paid for last year and which days did I want to use it? :D

Edited by pomkiwi

48 hours and off to Tanzania!  

2 people like this

5 minutes ago, Double Dare said:

48 hours and off to Tanzania!  

Safe journey and have a great time!

On 1/18/2018 at 8:52 AM, cjt3 said:

The countdown begins in earnest now.  Four weeks until our first safari!

Six days until we leave, and one final weekend coming up to make sure we have everything ready to go.

2 people like this

2 hours ago, cjt3 said:

Six days until we leave, and one final weekend coming up to make sure we have everything ready to go.

@cjt3

you will be counting the hours down soon - have a fantastic time- which country and locations?

1 person likes this

@cjt3  Safe travels through Rwanda, Kenya and Tanzania. Looking forward to hearing all about it!!!!

1 person likes this

16 hours ago, Julian said:

@cjt3

you will be counting the hours down soon - have a fantastic time- which country and locations?

@Julian - Rwanda (mountain gorilla trekking), Kenya (Mara), and Tanzania (Serengeti and Ngorongoro).

@lmonmm - Thank you!

3 people like this

44 minutes ago, cjt3 said:

@Julian - Rwanda (mountain gorilla trekking), Kenya (Mara), and Tanzania (Serengeti and Ngorongoro).

@cjt3

looking forward to your trip report.

Im currently in the middle of posting my trip report on Northern Tanzania which includes Ngorongoro.

1 person likes this

@cjt3 have a wonderful trip! I'm looking forward to your TR because you're combining some excellent destinations into one safari.  I was in Rwanda last year at this time for gorillas and know what you have ahead of you!  Enjoy it, it's all magical (and ridiculously addictive, but you must already know that by now!)

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

10 days to go and once more this trip (built on the wreckage of last year's trip cancelled at the last minute due to NZ visa issues) has had a curve ball thrown. The domestic airline we were due to use in South Africa remains suspended and some worrying reports have emerged relating to prevous incidents with companies owned by the same CEO.  So I have spent this evening booking alternatives with SAA and requesting a refund from Cemair.  More enjoyably I spent the afternoon in front of the TV watching rugby whilst setting up my D500 for its first safari trip!  

Edited by pomkiwi
4 people like this

Two more sleeps until we leave for India! Unfortunately threw out my back last week and its not going to be pleasant on a 14 hour flight in cattle class, but suffer we must for our safari addiction. I've got a bottle of Advil and a back brace. :(

2 people like this

@janzin have a safe and comfortable ^_^ trip