Game Warden

Safari countdown...

832 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, AmyT said:

I will be meeting up with @Seniortravellerin three months! 8 nights with Doug Macdonald in Mana Pools, 2 nights at Kanga Camp, and another night or two in Harare for shopping. :)  It's unusually steamy here in southern California, so I am getting acclimated to humidity combined with heat.

I am REALLY missing Kenya right now.

Amy,

It looks like I'm going to spend a week with Doug right before your arrival ( you and Seniortraveller), I will try  not leave him too tired for your safari ;)

Good luck in Mana Pools!!

1 Night Harare

7 Nights Mana Pools with Doug Macdonald ( 3 Chitake and 4 Flood Plains)

5 Nights Hwange (L.Makalolo)

11 weeks to go, can´t wait!!

Paco

5 people like this

Posted (edited)

18 days and counting until we head back to Zim with Doug MacDonald. A roundabout route via Amsterdam, one of my favourite cities, so we are taking a night there to enjoy a tiny slice of Dutch life. Then two nights in Vic Falls, three in Hwange before heading up to Mana for two nights at Chitake and 4 on the flood plains. 

@Seniortraveller @AmyT @africawild You are going to have such an amazing time I am so excited for you. Chitake and flood plains are wonderful and Chitake feels like it should have dinosaurs wandering around. Take a taxi tour in Harare its well worth it to see the sights and get out to the various markets. 

Edited by ld1
4 people like this

I'm wondering if Doug has any non-ST-clients at all this season, we're in Kafue and Mana with him in October. :)

6 people like this

@Id1, I have just been reading some old trip reports and with just over thirteen weeks still to go, I think I am really going to have to try and focus on something else for a whille! We have arranged a driver/guide through Doug, for our extra day in Harare and AmyT is going to join us. I am hoping to bring back some metal silhouettes of warthogs for my garden, so that I can sit and imagine I am in Africa!

@Seniortraveller There is plenty of shopping to be had in Harare. Lots of sculpture and the like. We went to about 3 places including Mbare market and Newlands where there are a lot of sculptures working. 

If you are exhausting the trip reports google Zimbabwe Situatuon and you can read the local news 😁

13 weeks will fly by! 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I read the news from Zimbabwe every day, which can be very depressing. Conflict between the various factions certainly seems to be escalating and the financial situation is scary.

Thanks for the shopping recommendations😀

Edited by Seniortraveller
To complete post.
1 person likes this

Three months from today we leave for Zimbabwe and Zambia.  We will be spending one night in Victoria Falls, three in Hwange and meet up with Doug on November 13 in Mana.  We have two nights in Chitake before our adventure with Doug to Kafue and Liuwa Plains, ending in Livingston on November 30.  Time can't go fast enough!

3 people like this

I'm starting to think I'm the only one not going on safari with Doug this fall.  Maybe I should remedy that???

3 people like this

I've not got a booking with Doug either :(

1 person likes this

I don't have a booking with Doug either.  It's this pesky thing of using up all my vacation time.

1 hour ago, Tulips said:

I don't have a booking with Doug either.  It's this pesky thing of using up all my vacation time.

I hate when work gets in the way of the important stuff.

2 people like this

I'm down to 10 days after booking this safari last November.  Cannot wait!

5 people like this

Posted (edited)

@TulipsRight around the corner!!  Can't wait to read about  your trip!

Edited by AmyT
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I'm down to two weeks from today :)  Packing is commencing (photo gear is pretty much already packed.) Although I haven't dared to weigh it yet...

Edited by janzin
3 people like this

@janzin... where are  you off to?

Just now, AmyT said:

@janzin... where are  you off to?

This is the Zambia trip...I guess its rolled off this page at this point :)  Lower Zambezi, South Luangwa, Victoria Falls...

4 people like this

Just booked our 4th safari to South Africa. 3 nights Buffelshoek tented camp, Manyeleti, 5 nights Shindzela in Timbavati and 3 nights at Marrick with a day trip to Mokala. Now I have to wait till May 2018!  Shindzela is so popular now we got the last available tent.

1 person likes this

12 more sleeps to Zambia...just booked some activities at Victoria Falls. Call me crazy (and I think I must be) but I booked the Livingstone Island/Devil's Pool trip  :o ...there's 100% chance that DH won't do the swim (given that he can't really swim) and I'm sort of 50/50 lol. But I read that its worth it even if you don't do the swim, so we'll see. I booked early morning for the rainbows. I might do it...but I won't jump in! You only live once....

Also booked a sunset small boat cruise for our last night (ridiculous because we'll have plenty of cruising for "free" in Lower Zambezi, but...its our last night :D ) And made dinner reservations at the Royal Livingstone Hotel.  And re-confirmed our birding tour with Charles Brightman who was really hard to reach and I was getting concerned but the very helpful folks at http://www.victoriafalls-guide.net/ phoned him for me and its all set.

On top of that I am mostly packed, so its time to start getting antsy!

1 person likes this

@janzin.....and you decided not to go canoeing?!!

1 person likes this

I am one month away from my Tanzania Safari, booked three months ago.

Lake Manyara - Ngorongoro Crater - Northern Serengeti.

I am really psyched.  Got just about all off my camera equipment together - will have to weigh it.  Still ordering some safari appropriate clothing.  Getting my vaccinations next week.  

I just got an email from Yellow Zebra Safari - the tour outfit which put together my trip.  It was a photo of a lion and it said KEEP CALM!  Your Safari is One Month Away.  I'm trying my best to relax.

Steven

5 people like this

2 hours ago, marg said:

@janzin.....and you decided not to go canoeing?!!

haha Devil's Pool seems less scary than capsizing and being eaten by a hippo or croc ;)  But canoeing may be a spur of the moment decision too!

1 person likes this

@janzin - you doing the Whitewater trip from Livingstone?  It was super fun - did it in 2005 ........ I recommend it....... 

10 hours ago, madaboutcheetah said:

@janzin - you doing the Whitewater trip from Livingstone?  It was super fun - did it in 2005 ........ I recommend it....... 

no, that's too high-energy for us LOL! Class IV or V I think! No thanks!

Agghhh, beyond excited. Now in Amsterdam enjoying a cocktail at the CitizenM hotel before we head to Zim tomorrow....yipppeeee!!!

11 people like this

Have a fantastic trip @ld1