Game Warden

Safari countdown...

832 posts in this topic

Nice for those of you in the UK, Whyone. For those of us who live in the "we don't need a healthcare program" U.S. it's the difference between $190 for the injection or $5 for the pills. Until we oust the Republicans and get a collective clue about healthcare costs, I'll take the four pills. I guess we could always move and give up our citizenship before the next trip.

It's a fair point.

Many people (myself included) tend to take the NHS for granted. Many more complain about the service. In reality, we are extremely fortunate.

1 person likes this

Can we take the health discussion to the appropriate subforum here please otherwise what could be important to other members will be lost in this topic.

Sorry, Matt. No harm intended. You know how conversation tend to spiral.

Cheers,

'Red

No problem :)

I'm leaving in a week for Botswana, traveling with a friend from Dallas who is a professional photographer. We have a couple of nights in Joburg and will go out to the Ann Van Dyk Cheetah Centre one day for a special tour. Then, on November 14, we fly to Bots for three nights each at four camps: Kwando Lagoon, Duma Tau, Vumbura Plains and Chitabe Lediba. Simply Red, it looks like I'll see you there!

Looking forward to sharing a sundowner with you ShayTay!

1 person likes this

Two weeks today!! Going a few days earlier than original dates. These last two weeks are going to ddrrraaaaaaaaagggggg!!!lol!!! Hoping they get some rain in Ndutu. Just a shower yesterday the first for a long time. Looking at the satellite they may get some more this week.

Off on Sunday from Toulouse to Heathrow, overnight at Terminal 4 then fly to Nairobi on Monday. First time I have waited to get my visa until I get to Nairobi. My tour company say 50 dollars but the other sites say it is payable in sterling or euros as long as you use new notes which is the best I wonder?

@@samburumags yes you can pay in £ or euros, or even CHF. I think it's £30, or 40 euro. So you might get slightly better value in one currency or the other depending on the exact exchange rate but the difference is probably minimal so I'd just pay in whatever is most convenient.

Thanks Stokeygirl I have 4 pristine 10 euro notes attached to my visa application, cant wait to hand them over !! :)

1 person likes this

6 days from now.
Nothing packed!

Cameras cleaned. Batteries loaded. Additional memory cards delivered.
Mana Pools and Hwange, we´ll be coming!

1 person likes this

99 days and counting.... :D

Tomorrow I go on Safari in London :)

Be careful crossing the streets....we would hate for you to get hit by a game vehicle!

1 person likes this

Tomorrow I go on Safari in London :)

Truly a walk on the wild-side!

6 weeks to go, ,Botswana for a month ,this time I am not coming back !! :P

1 person likes this

I have planned and booked well in advance

YEAR 2014

12 TH JUNE Johannesburg Premier hotel OR Tambo

13 TH JUNE Eka Hotel Nairobi

14 TO 21 JUNE Lewa Conservancy ,Kenya

22 ND JUNE rtn flight to Johannesburg

22 ND JUNE Johannesburg Premier hotel OR Tambo

23 RD JUNE City Lodge at OR Tambo airport

24 JUNE TO 1 JULY Thula Thula,KZ NATAL

1 TO 8 JULY Rhino River Lodge, KZ NATAL

8TH JULY Johannesburg Premier hotel OR Tambo

8 TO 14 JULY Tangala camp, Thornybush Greater Kruger NP

15 TO 21 JULY Shindzela bush camp,Timbavati Greater Kruger

21 TO 25 JULY Pungwe bush camp, Manyeleti Greater Kruger

26 TO 31 JULY Elephant Plains ,Sabi Sands Kruger

31ST JULY Johannesburg Premier hotel OR Tambo

1 ST AUGUST international return flight

I have a good amount of leave , am saving up hard and cutting out on a whole lot of things so I can spend a good period of time in areas which are still reasonably wild.

well I built up leave from when it was unwise to use it, and keep on earning it.

People are different and I can't understand how many people think how cities can in any meaningfull sense be call beautifull, in relation to what, the gardens are better than the back end of a bus and that is all. Cities are practical to live in for jobs,medical facilities etc.

I love wild nature with all my headt and soul, there is something profound about being in areas where the forces of nature are in control and humas feel of lesser importance.

If all known time is thought as one year , modern humans have only been around for 8 minutes. I refuse to celebrate much of the handywork of the industrial form of man which is nothing more than a wrecking gang on the beauty of the cosmos.

I think of what I need to take ,basically what I took before which is largely but not totally unpacked, what worked out, how things can improve.

I have tested my new bridge camera a Nikon P520 which goes to 1,000 mm on the optical zoom, the maximum digital zoom is twice that on bright sunny days , well that the ways it comes over with the buildings in the streets. I have only ever tested my cameras with street buildings etc.

Let us recall Henry Beston's classic passage from THE OUTERMOST HOUSE

We need another and a wiser and perhaps a more mystical concept of animals. Remote from universal nature and living by complicated artifice, man in civilization surveys the creature through the glass of his knowledge and sees thereby a feather magnified and the whole image in distortion. We patronize them for their incompleteness, for their tragic fate for having taken form so far below ourselves. And therein do we err. For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with the extension of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren, they are not underlings: they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth

Counting down to Cape Town :)

3 people like this

Got to change mine to 4 weeks and 2 days ...........

16 days...... tick tock

1 person likes this

16 days...... tick tock

Super!!! Where are you off to?

99 days to go.

I'm not sure when I'll next be in Africa, but I am planning some UK-based safaris over the next 9 months - Isle of Mull and Cairngorms (Scotland) and the Farne Islands off the Northumberland coast (most likely in May to catch the Puffins and thousands of other sea birds).

16 days...... tick tock

Super!!! Where are you off to?

Kenya in the (hopefully not too much) rain again ....... Naboisho and Meru

2 people like this