Game Warden

Safari countdown...

850 posts in this topic

So how many days have you left before you leave on your safari? Got all your packing done? Excited much? Last minute checks - what are they?

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

6 days left before travelling to the Pantanal, absolutely no packing done, and veeeeeeeeeeeery excited (especially after the recent fabulous trip reports by @@Treepol and @@pedro maia).

Last minute checks: Mainly going to the pharmacy for insect repellents and other stuff and learning the remaining 25 chapters of my "Portuguese in 30 fast and easy chapters"-book. (Ambitious, I know. Somehow my initial learning enthusiasm when I started months ago quickly ... diminished. B) )

For the first time ever I have amazingly defeated my usual stupid urge to try to squeeze in everything work-related and finish as much tasks as possible before heading off. So it should be a rather relaxed week.

Edited by michael-ibk
2 people like this

Just returned, no safari countdown for me. My friend is trying to persuade me to do the Spanish Lynxes for a short trip in December. I am contemplating this. There may be spaces if anyone else is interested too.. there is a second trip to Spain that is running in January too.

Yes the thought did cross my mind, be nice to see you and maybe take a trip to the wolf sanctuary. I'll have to look into flights.

13 days to go. Getting along with all the preparation - doing some treks across our harbour to the Canon centre to get gear cleaned up. Clothes and all other stuff done except some toiletries, medicine pouches etc, travel medicine done. SA and Zim visas done. 2 Trail cameras bought (finally) and duly received. Actually seems I might be all done 4-5 days before I have to leave.

2 people like this

19 days and sooo excited! Back to Kenya - haven't been there for 3 years - too long.

1 person likes this

Hopefully going to Ndutu at the end of November. Just waiting for my friend to confirm in the next week or two if he can go!! He has gone from " no chance" to "how much are the flights!". Went to Africa twice last year and was looking at not going until May next year. But the itch!!!! And the lodge have been saying "just come!! " lol!!! But do need two people to make it affordable. When preparing just wash stuff the weekend before as everything else is usually still ready from last trip. All the things I need are in the camera bag and wash/travel/medical kit/ bags. So just chuck em in the big bag and go!! Get visa at Kili and off we go!!

13 days to go. Getting along with all the preparation - doing some treks across our harbour to the Canon centre to get gear cleaned up. Clothes and all other stuff done except some toiletries, medicine pouches etc, travel medicine done. SA and Zim visas done. 2 Trail cameras bought (finally) and duly received. Actually seems I might be all done 4-5 days before I have to leave.

Golly, we are currently walking similar paths @@Anita !

17 days until I fly.

Canon bodies just dropped off for sensor cleaning.

All memory cards emptied and reformatted. All 12 batteries fully charged.

Colleague has today given me the trail camera I had shipped tou our Houston office.

Malarone picked up last week. Need to check out the rest of my muti kit though.

Visa will be bought upon arrival in Harare.

Batteries various bought and on their way.

What I still need to do is some food shopping - hard to get items in Zim - chorizo for example!

Also need to decide on a good bottle of malt to pick up at Dubai duty free for post-sundowners!

Clothes sit in a special 'Mana drawer' all year, so I just need to empty that into a suitcase nearer the time.

I went online last night to check my reservation and was astonished to see that my cheapy-cheap economy flight with Emirates gives me a 40kg hold allowance - I will have to see what camping equipment is in need of renewal.

1 person likes this

Bit of a spoiling trip as my daughter is an African tour operator so Ngong House, Olarro, Encounter Mara, Naibor and Ol Seki.

Cannot wait for my first sundowner!

@@Haghip just remember the trip report. Not much on here from people who've been to Encounter Mara...

I'm on the train to the airport right now. Headed for Alaska. Unfortunately it is for work and for only three days. It is about 50 degrees F and raining there. Nevertheless, I will try to get out and chase down some moose in the rut. It is that time of year. For them.

3 weeks to go for Bots - No visa hassles this time ........... Kwando were super helpful in assisting me with the visas through Botswana Tourism.

Will do, Game Warden! Am excited about Encounter Mara - may become one of my favourite camps! Sooo excited now - doing the "shall I, shan't I" with my packing! Lots of things to take for schools, women's groups etc., but we are driving from Nairobi so no luggage weight restrictions.

What I still need to do is some food shopping - hard to get items in Zim - chorizo for example!

Hi Whyone?, if you are coming through Harare - there are now a couple of butcheries that do wonderful chorizo... let me know if you need details.

hmm, now I'm depressed. Only been back 10 days and I'm jealous of you all!

Ah: so many trip reports in the making...

At last my friend has confirmed he can go!! So I will be off to Ndutu from the 21st Nov to the 4th Dec!!! I am excited beyond words!!!! :)

Will be in the air 4 days from now....

2 people like this

147 days for me!

Three sleeps to go!

1 person likes this

:) Man I'm feeling the buzz. Mind you, have just had 2 bicas. (Portuguese coffees.) Excited for everyone about to leave.

132 days

Mucheni 3 here I come! :)

1 person likes this