Show us your bush flight photos...

Game Warden

A lot of animals we flew over completely ignored our little chopper, but these sable antelope seemed curious.

sable-aerial.jpg

~ @Soukous

Thank you for posting this image.

Would you mind if I asked about what's shown in the image?

I've never seen sable antelope anywhere, therefore know nothing about their development.

Are the two smaller, lighter colored animals in the lower right juvenile sable antelope, or are they another species altogether.

Tom K.

Hi Tom (@Tom Kellie )

I am pretty sure that they are young sable antelope.

The sable start off a chestnut colour and then become darker as they get older. 

Males are very dark. 

These pictures gives you a better idea of what they look like. They are a very beautiful antelope.

sable-x-2.jpg

sable.jpg

sable.jpg

Edited by Soukous

Okavango Delta flying in from Maun into Vumbura Plains March 2, 2014 - emerald season

gQUqIsk0Dw3-CeMLm0agFqz5VZjTcf0YxWKEIecJ

jSd-UEMI-3hoK-6A0_7Lx1L2pkAEFbIFybfAmw2s

still okavango delta flying from Vumbura to Mombo

ELw4P6aljvzcCNY3lYKWo0qfCU-R4wqpmFy7g77O

Tao5nW_0l3-zjTGI1g6BuyKbbOObDc6HffyXQ1l5

Old Mombo camp with its row of solar panels. 

ARTJe_qQn1Zp7o7AektcSuv1f0DsG8avo9Oa8gMO

20 hours ago, Soukous said:

Hi Tom (@Tom Kellie )

I am pretty sure that they are young sable antelope.

The sable start off a chestnut colour and then become darker as they get older. 

Males are very dark. 

These pictures gives you a better idea of what they look like. They are a very beautiful antelope.

sable.jpg

~ @Soukous

Many thanks for the information and great photos.

In the few African wildlife field guides in my house, there are no images of young sable antelope nor any mention of their color.

Thanks to you, I now know.

Tom K.

• 2 months later...

Out of the window of the bush plane from northern to central Serengeti, TZ.  August 2017.

Ol Doinyo Lengai, the 7,650-foot-tall peak is the only known active volcano that belches out lava rich with a type of rock called carbonatite. This thin, silvery lava can flow faster than a person can run. An active volcano in northeastern Tanzania known to the Maasai as the “Mountain of God” has been quietly rumbling—and it is showing signs that an eruption is imminent.

DSC_0407 (2).JPG