Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LynneB

Guyana

3 posts in this topic

Has anyone been to Guyana? We're looking at doing a wildlife trip there next year.

Yes

In short it's not a great place for wildlife unless you are interested in frogs or birds. Most of the country is still dense primary rain forest. It's impossible to see anything, encounters are rare.

We went in the 'dry' season. The water table was all over the place and rivers were not as low as they should have been. This meant river banks were not exposed for good giant river otter and caiman spotting. Jaguar sightings are also rare.

Accommodation is a bit basic, do not expect the luxury lodges like you get in Africa.

Don't let me put you off, it's an interesting place. You will meet lots of lovely people and see some amazing sites.

I've got some pictures on flickr, we went via Trinidad (Asa Wright) and returned via Tobago

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16343559@N04/sets/72157625583407788/

1 person likes this

Thanks for the response. A friend of mine is interested in birds so this might suit her.