See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Show us your cougars...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,456 posts
  • Local time: 06:24 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:41 PM

Please include when and where taken, tech specs and any other pertinent details about the sighting. Likewise, any advice for others planning a cougar safari. Thanks. Matt. 

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#2 kittykat23uk

kittykat23uk

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 4,565 posts
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:36 PM

Santago Big cat collection (captive)

3759051697_b74a9d2f18_b.jpg
Puma- extreme closeup! by kittykat23uk, on Flickr
If an experience is amazing enough to be "once in a lifetime," I want to do it every year.
Alex: "Whoa! Hold up there a second, fuzzbucket. You mean like, uh, the live in a mud hut wipe yourself with a leaf type wild?"
King Julian: “Who wipes?”

#3 kittykat23uk

kittykat23uk

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 4,565 posts
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:42 PM

3759047799_00f77395dd_b.jpg
Puma by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

Same cat. Both shots taken with Panasonic FZ18. We were one of the last groups to visit this collection before it was shut and the animals rehomed. Have not been lucky to see a wild one yet! :)

If I were going to look for one in the wild then I would go to Torres Del Paine in Chile. Naturetrek do a just pumas tour which is usually a good indication that this is a reliable site. Of course you can have a chance to see these cats in many places in the Americas, Chan Chich in Belize frequently captures pumas on their camer traps, but I don't think that is a good indication that they can be seen easily. I believe they can als be found in the Pantanal, but do not know of anyone who has seen one there.

Max Waugh has had good luck photographing them in costa rica, not sure where exactly.
If an experience is amazing enough to be "once in a lifetime," I want to do it every year.
Alex: "Whoa! Hold up there a second, fuzzbucket. You mean like, uh, the live in a mud hut wipe yourself with a leaf type wild?"
King Julian: “Who wipes?”

#4 Atdahl

Atdahl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Local time: 09:24 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:48 AM

I would love to see one in the wild.  We have struck out on 2 trips to Chan Chich and 4 to the Osa Peninsula in Costa Rica.  But someday, we will get lucky.  Max's sightings were in Corcovado National Park in the Osa.  I think he is leading another group there next year in fact.

The good man is the friend of all living things - Mahatma Ghandi

Main Photo Gear:

Nikon D7100, Nikon D300, Nikkor 200-500mm, Nikkor 70-300mm, Nikkor 16-85

http://www.focusedonnature.com/

#5 KI-NRT

KI-NRT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Local time: 10:24 AM

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:41 AM

We stayed at Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge in the Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica, in December of 2011.  They were spotted during our hike on the Titi Trail. Not the highest quality photos, unfortunately, but it'll clearly remain in our memories forever.

gallery_51215_1632_17556.jpg

gallery_51215_1632_220557.jpg

Edited by KI-NRT, 06 February 2017 - 08:47 AM.

• Geoff, inyathi, michael-ibk and 3 others like this

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.