Let's see your wide angle shots...

Game Warden

Game Warden

Interesting wildlife perspectives, landscapes, in camp shots, fish eye images: what have you got saved on your hard drive? Please include when and where taken and any other pertinent details. Thanks, Matt

Ok, I will kick it off.

LIon beneath Kilimanjaro, Amboseli

1202845912.JPEG

Elephants outside a dried lake bed, Amboseli

1206934752.JPEG

Really wide, 10mm:

1204147320.JPEG

Northern conservancies, Mara, a journey:

IMG_0468.JPG

Okavango delta:

IMG_1912.JPG

Five male lions, Kwara, Botswana

IMG_8386.JPG

Five Rivers, Kwara concession, Botswana

IMG_1008.JPG

Duba Plains, Botswana

IMG_8969.JPG

Serengeti

DSC_5525.JPG

Wild Dogger

gallery_5715_811_154524.jpg

Ndutu, double rainbow with lion

Can you guys also post what type of lens used....I am in the market for a wide angle lens...

Thanks

I use a Canon 10-22 ( 16-25 full frame equivalent) on APS- C and Canon 24-105 F4 on full frame. In my opinion, the 10-22 is Canon's finest zoom lens in its EF series and although EF series lens do not get a L designation, this lens has an equal build quality to the lower end L zooms such as the 24-105.

Edited by AKR1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Looking out over Ngorngoro Crater from Sopa Lodge

post-43899-0-60781700-1388063433_thumb.jpg

I often find I have left my wide angle lens behind when I want to take a wide angle shot. So I use my standard lens (these days a 24-105mm zoom at 24mm) and take several overlapping shots which I merge later using Photoshop. Here are some examples I made earlier.

Ngorongoro crater. A 180 degree panorama using 3 images from a Canon 20D with kit lens. You can just see the window frame of my room at each end.

gallery_6125_237_99518.jpg

Mosi oa Tunya from Livingstone Island - I went there in the dry season with Tongabezi to have breakfast by the Falls. As it happened everyone else had cancelled but they agreed to go ahead for me so I had the place to myself apart from the cook and guide. This time I had a Canon 40D with the 24-105mm fitted. The first image is a row of 4 merged images at f7, ISO 400, 1/1000 sec. I believe the first pool under the middle of the rainbow is the devil's pool.

gallery_6125_240_48772.jpg

The next image is a double row panorama made from 7 images (the 40D with 24-105mm as above), 4 images across the top and 3 below, hence there are some blank areas in the bottom row. I suffer from vertigo, so for this shot on the edge of the Falls, the guide was standing behind me and holding me while I took the photos. We were wearing capes to protect from the spray, the double-headed shadow in the middle is not Zaphod Beeblebrox :P .

gallery_6125_240_132444.jpg

madaboutcheetah

The shadows work beautifully here in that last image! Lovely!!!

• 9 months later...
Morkel Erasmus

Nice work guys - I love playing with wide angles on safari and have done so increasingly this year.

This is fresh from Mana Pools, 24mm on the Trichilia floodplains. Elephants in the viewfinder are closer than they appear! :D

post-14617-0-29145000-1412687287_thumb.jpg

Morkel Erasmus

Elephant from underground research bunker in Etosha, Namibia

post-14617-0-37149500-1412687516_thumb.jpg

I often find I have left my wide angle lens behind when I want to take a wide angle shot. So I use my standard lens (these days a 24-105mm zoom at 24mm) and take several overlapping shots which I merge later using Photoshop. Here are some examples I made earlier.

Ngorongoro crater. A 180 degree panorama using 3 images from a Canon 20D with kit lens. You can just see the window frame of my room at each end.

gallery_6125_237_99518.jpg

Mosi oa Tunya from Livingstone Island - I went there in the dry season with Tongabezi to have breakfast by the Falls. As it happened everyone else had cancelled but they agreed to go ahead for me so I had the place to myself apart from the cook and guide. This time I had a Canon 40D with the 24-105mm fitted. The first image is a row of 4 merged images at f7, ISO 400, 1/1000 sec. I believe the first pool under the middle of the rainbow is the devil's pool.

gallery_6125_240_48772.jpg

The next image is a double row panorama made from 7 images (the 40D with 24-105mm as above), 4 images across the top and 3 below, hence there are some blank areas in the bottom row. I suffer from vertigo, so for this shot on the edge of the Falls, the guide was standing behind me and holding me while I took the photos. We were wearing capes to protect from the spray, the double-headed shadow in the middle is not Zaphod Beeblebrox :P .

gallery_6125_240_132444.jpg

The last one is fantastic!

Another tire change on the way into Seronera river area in Serengethi.

At this time I hade a Tamron 18-270 mm lens. Nowadays I only use much more expensive Canon L lenses. Unfortunately they are better but I must say that if you are on a budget the Tamron multipurpose lenses are a good option. This one is okay I think.

post-48637-0-67666600-1412710609_thumb.jpg

@@MrB great image: really conveys "Road Trip" in Africa...

Wow, all are good! I took one on my trip (with an iphone) maybe I'll find it and post it ^_^ LOL

Masai Mara, Naboisho conservancy, Olare- Motorogi conservancy:

IMG_0797.JPG

IMG_0796.JPG

DSC02372.JPG

IMG_9803.JPG

DSC02377.JPG

DSC02382.JPG

DSC02375.JPG

Here's one I've wanted to take for a while. This was taken with a 34mm equivalent lens, the bull was actually closer than the picture shows.

15292834001_800a870d30_z.jpg

I was lying on the decking at Kanga, Mana Pools just above the water outlet for the pump that feeds the pan. The elephants prefer their water cool and fresh. The light could have been better as it was about 9am and the light was behind him.

• 5 months later...

post-49296-0-18806500-1427483949_thumb.jpg

~ This was taken in Masai Mara on 21 January, 2013 at 10:58 am, using an EOS 1D Mark IV with an EF 14mm f/2.8L II wide angle lens.

Settings were ISO 100, f/9, 1/250 sec., Manual shooting mode, handheld in a safari van.

When a stack of student research writing homework awaits my attention, this image truly represents where I'd much rather be.

post-49296-0-52272400-1427989751_thumb.jpg

Photographed at the Great Rift Valley Overlook near Uplands, Kenya on 20 January, 2013 at 9:34 am with an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 14mm f/2.8L II wide angle lens.

ISO 125, 1/2500 sec., f/2.8, 14mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

Each of four road trips to Masai Mara National Reserve has begun with a stop at the Great Rift Valley Overlook.

I seek out the birds feeding by the farthest souvenir stall, where rock hyraxes and banded ground squirrels frolic.

Every time I see this scene I get a lump in my throat. It's like coming home.

What @@SafariChick must feel with her elephant baby, Kamok, at the Sheldrick Center is what I feel when returning to the Great Rift Valley.

In some primeval sense, home.

This image has an emotional tug with me, despite no wildlife being evident. The almost imperceptible white dots in the center right are immense satellite dishes.

Not really a wide angleshot, but i figure it falls under landscape stuff!

Wildebeests in Ngorongoro crater, Tanzania, Late june 2013

untitled-1-25.JPG

Edited by Kitsafari

post-49296-0-43071200-1428082746_thumb.jpg

Photographed at Masai Mara National Reserve, Kenya on 21 January, 2013 at 12:29 pm with an EOS 1D Mark IV camera and an EF 14mm f/2.8L II wide angle lens.

ISO 100, 1/2500 sec., f/2.8, 14mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

In each of four safari visits to Masai Mara I've passed through this area, hence there are especially strong memories.

The smell of grass on light zephyrs, clear blue skies in each instance, elephants, giraffes and medium-sized raptors — plain and calm. Bliss.

Atop Lookout Hill there's a fine view of the serpentine curves of the Mara River below.

This view is looking the other way. Small butterflies of several species flutter about the shining pebbles there.

• 1 month later...
Tom Kellie

post-49296-0-21894400-1432732803_thumb.jpg

Camels Near Archer's Post, Kenya

Photographed at 3:59 pm on 1 October, 2014 on the Isiolo to Archer's Post Highway, Kenya, using an EOS 1D X camera and a Zeiss Distagon T* 35mm f/2 ZE lens.

ISO 100, 1/2000 sec., f/3.5, 35mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure and manual lens focus from a moving vehicle.

******************************************************************************************************************

In north central Kenya camels are observed, as there's noticeable Somali influence from Isiolo northward.

We were driving when these camels were seen beside the road. This was a quick snapshot out of the safari van window.

Morkel Erasmus

I love using the wide angle lens for wildlife photography - getting a bit bored by telephoto lenses :)

This is a collection of 10 images taken at 100mm or less, all from my travels last year!

http://blog.morkelerasmus.com/2015/01/10-below-100-my-reflection-on-2014.html

• 1 month later...

I love using the wide angle lens for wildlife photography - getting a bit bored by telephoto lenses :)

This is a collection of 10 images taken at 100mm or less, all from my travels last year!

http://blog.morkelerasmus.com/2015/01/10-below-100-my-reflection-on-2014.html

~ @@Morkel Erasmus

Tonight I saw this post and looked at the ten wide angle images in your blog.

WOW! Really terrific!

I wonder if I have the courage to pack a wider angle lens to use while on the next safari?

You may have inspired me to try something different.

Really liked these!

Tom K.