See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Some Very Important General Trip Planning Advice (Disaster Prevention)

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Safaridude

Safaridude

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,019 posts
  • Local time: 12:30 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:25 PM

Here are some very important details to consider when traveling to Africa (that travel agents don't stress enough in my opinion):

- Disaster Prevention #1 - Make sure you have at least 3 blank visa pages in your passport (not just blank pages, but blank visa pages).  One member of another family I was traveling with in 2008 could not board the plane (South African Airways)... he was sent back and had to get his new visa pages, and he had to take a flight out the next day (luckily, there was an expedited service place for visa pages in New York City).

- Disaster Prevention #2 - If you have purchased your airline ticket on-line -- with many, if not all airlines -- you are required to show the credit card that you paid your ticket with as you check in.  I am not sure what happens if you don't have the credit card with you, but you don't want to find out.

- Disaster Prevention #3 - Bring a copy of your vaccination card with you.  Take Zambia and South Africa for example... they have gone back and forth on yellow fever certificate requirements.  Better to be safe and bring your vaccination records.

- Disaster Prevention #4 - DO NOT EVER put anything of value in your checked luggage.  I am amazed that I see this happening still... you are guaranteeing yourself of losses.  Remember, the bad guys have access to X-ray machines.  The good news is if you don't have anything of value in your checked luggage, they won't open your bag (the bad guys with access to X-ray machines are too busy to go through a bag with only clothes and shoes).

- Minor hassle - If you are bringing US dollar bills, bring bills that have been issued after 2001.  Whether true or not, there are rumors in Africa that there are counterfeit bills (issue date of 2001 and before).  Some merchants won't take those older bills. 

Edited by Safaridude, 06 July 2013 - 08:25 PM.

• Game Warden, Jochen, madaboutcheetah and 3 others like this

#2 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,407 posts
  • Local time: 05:30 AM

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:03 PM

Have made this a pinned topic. Please do add your essential trip planning advice to add to Safaridude's overview above.

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#3 JohnR

JohnR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:11 PM

Read Safaritalk's advice on trip planning.

What pays stays.

#4 kittykat23uk

kittykat23uk

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 4,459 posts
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:33 PM

Re # 2 that happened to me in India, I accidentally booked one of the internal flights with the wrong cc, one I left at home. After a bit of toting and front they let me through, I guess because I had the booking in print and my passport.

Re #4 I don't see how this can be avoided if you have a carry on full of cameras and also have a spotting scope and/or scuba gear, I will have both on my next trip! Best to take padlocks and get the bag wrapped in this circumstance I guess. But even then there is no guarantee and I have sadly been the victim of theft from my baggage once.
If an experience is amazing enough to be "once in a lifetime," I want to do it every year.
Alex: "Whoa! Hold up there a second, fuzzbucket. You mean like, uh, the live in a mud hut wipe yourself with a leaf type wild?"
King Julian: “Who wipes?”

#5 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 8,623 posts
  • Local time: 03:00 PM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

In Kenya you need US$ bills issued since 2006 now. It is a right pain when you get caught.

… clarity in thought comes after challenge …

#6 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

What is preferred in Kenya, smaller denominations? ie 5 and 10 dollar bills?

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#7 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 8,623 posts
  • Local time: 03:00 PM

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

$50s are scrutinised carefully so I take them because you can fit more into a space but try for smaller denominations. Not $100s, always give me problems. Not torn either.

… clarity in thought comes after challenge …

#8 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:40 PM

Re dollar bills, does this apply in other African countries as well?

#9 A&M

A&M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Local time: 04:30 AM
  • Category 1:Conservationist/Naturalist
  • Category 2:Born in Africa

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

Zimbabwe yes,but not SA and Botswana.

#10 Jochen

Jochen

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,632 posts
  • Local time: 06:30 AM
  • Category 2:Travel Agent

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

- Disaster Prevention #2 - If you have purchased your airline ticket on-line -- with many, if not all airlines -- you are required to show the credit card that you paid your ticket with as you check in.  I am not sure what happens if you don't have the credit card with you, but you don't want to find out.

I found out!

Our SAA tickets (Jo'burg to Hoedspruit) were bought with VISA. Then our bank decided to switch to Mastercard. So we had to turn our VISA in (it was destroyed before our eyes) and got the other card as replacement. We did not thing about our SAA tickets at that moment. We only thought: "we need a credit card to travel, so we must get our Mastercard at the bank before departure date!".

Then, at Jo'burg airport, they wanted to see our creditcard. I gave them our Mastercard but obviously that is not what they wanted. As I could not show our VISA card, they did not want to issue our tickets (which were paid in full 6 months ealier)! They told us we needed to buy new ones.

The only way out was if we could get them a proof from our bank that it was them who switched the cards. Luckily, we had about an hour before the gate closed, and luckily our bank was open on a Saturday morning. They faxed a signed "proof" to SAA's front office, and we got our tickets ...5 minutes before the gate closed.

Not an experience I want to repeat!

• twaffle likes this

#11 AKR1

AKR1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts
  • Local time: 12:30 AM

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:55 PM

Make sure your passport expiry is over 6 months out. Also on visa pages, I normally request immigration officials to stamp the entry/ departure stamps on a page with other such stamps until there is absolutely no more space. I hate it when they stamp a new blank page if there is space available elsewhere. With the US Global Entry program one of the many advantages is you no longer get your passport stamped upon entry to the US and also don't have to fill out any entry paperwork including the customs declaration form as all that is done electronically at the self service Kiosk.

#12 Patty

Patty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Local time: 09:30 PM

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

What is preferred in Kenya, smaller denominations? ie 5 and 10 dollar bills?

Kenyan shillings ;) I think the only thing you need dollars for is the visa if your safari is prepaid.

The best way to a man's heart is through the fourth and fifth rib

#13 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,855 posts
  • Local time: 11:30 PM

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:52 PM

Thanks, #2 almost caused me a problem because I discontinued that card.   But because the ticket was bought so long ago, they let me go.  I saw a family in South Africa get denied boarding because they did not have their credit card.

When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

#14 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,020 posts
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

One thing I can add - those nationalities needing a visa ...... Please check in advance as to processing time for the visa and the procedure involved - act early; plan early ..........

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#15 Annie

Annie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Local time: 11:30 PM
  • Category 1:Researcher
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:38 PM

I regards to credit cards, it is advisable to check if Visa or MasterCard are the preferred.  Depending on the country you may be out of luck with a Visa card or vice versa with a MasterCard.  I got stuck once not having done my research.

#16 Anthilltiger

Anthilltiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Local time: 07:30 AM
  • Category 1:Born in Africa

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:46 AM

Re the dollar bills:  this is true in Tanzania, and I think it's also after 2006 like @twaffle says - the dollar bills with the "big heads" on them.  If you pay anything in USD, the vendors all automatically check them and won't accept.  If you're getting USD from exchange bureaus, check as well - as they sometimes will give the unsuspecting tourist the ones they can't exchange ;)

Edited by Anthilltiger, 10 May 2014 - 05:00 AM.

#17 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,020 posts
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:16 AM

Re dollar bills for Botswana - also US $ issued only 2007 and later ............ check before your travels.

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#18 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts
  • Local time: 08:30 PM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:49 AM

If you take medication like myself-whatever you do put it in your carry on baggage. I made the mistake of placing my meds in my baggage on safari in 2011; Kenyan Airways lost my baggage!!! I flew to Selous National Game Preserve without it. Thanks to the daily inquiries of my travel agency: Expert Africa, they found it 18 days later and I received it Lakipia. I can't stress enough that one should avoid this situation if at all possible. I'll have to say that what happened to me without my medication wasn't pretty. I thank ExpertAfrica for helping me in a bad situation.

#19 Csaba

Csaba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:11 PM

Check to see if you need an outward flight before they'll let you into the country.  I had to buy a ticket out of the Phillipines at the airport as Air Asia refused to let me onto the plane without one.  Turned out to be pretty annoying as I would have liked an extra few days in the country.  I met an American guy in Thailand that claimed that he lost $4k worth of flights as the airline wouldn't let him board a flight.  Why he didn't just buy the cheapest onward flight he could find at the airport is beyond me.

For those of you that have had stuff taken from checked luggage what's the least valuable item you've had stolen?  I always put my binoculars and an external hard disc in the hold.  I can't fit the binos in my hand luggage along with laptop and cameras and I like to keep the external HD in a different location to my laptop so I have a backup if one goes missing.  Both items could be replaced for under £70 each but it would be annoying to do so whilst on holiday.  

#20 bigcats

bigcats

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Local time: 12:30 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:13 AM

With regards to $100 bill years, this is true in many countries outside of Africa.  I have been to many countries that will check this.  Not every country cares, but some do. And getting new bills is not always easy. If I get a new one I usually hang on to it, or I will inquire at the bank from time to time to get new ones and will the newest years on them.  As the US $100 bill recently changed again, now it has color on it, I am wondering how long it will be before these countries will only take the colored notes. 

Am I understanding correctly that in Kenya and Tanzania, small bills are preferred to larger ones?  So 1s, 5s, 10s, and 20s are ok??  Do they accept USD or we need to change to local currency?  Stupid question I know, but have never been to either of these countries. 

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.