Mara Cheetah photos - help the Cheetah Research team

loafer247

looks like it's the same sub-adult. I just compared your pics of his mum with mine. There is a young male sub-adult in OOC right now so it may well be him. Will ask the Cheetah Researcher.

P.S Not sure if you are familiar with Honey's Boys. They were a coalition of 3 male cheetahs. One was killed late 2011, and a second was killed by a lioness in Mid-April. So now only one is left !

that's the nature of Mara cheetahs. They roam ridiculously vast ranges as I've mentioned previously. But you're right, a lot of sub-adults seem to vanish off the radar once they leave their mum.

When are you next in Kenya? I live in Nairobi - would love to meet with you when you're next down.

Dhruv

Here are some Mara cheetahs from 2005 on our first safari-based holiday when we stayed at the Mara Intrepids camp for 2 nights and saw 6 cheetahs on 3 drives including a hunt from start to finish.

On the 19th September 2005 we came across this female surrounded by 6 cars

post-6125-0-75680200-1372498766_thumb.jpg

She was resting after an unsuccessful hunt so we left after a few photos to see some lions who were resting even harder. On the way back to camp we came across a second female walking parallel to a herd of Thompson gazelles she suddenly turned and raced in the opposite direction before swerving towards the back of the herd where a fawn had fallen behind. In this photo she is still recovering

post-6125-0-23270400-1372498780_thumb.jpg

On the 20th September 2005 on the morning drive we went looking for leopards along the Talek river but only found BBC Big Cat Diary spotters who told us they hadn't seen any of their target animals for several days. We then drove off to some higher ground where we found a third female cheetah who was tracking a wildebeest herd

post-6125-0-52630000-1372498790_thumb.jpg

She abandoned the hunt and came over to the group of cars watching and climbed onto the warm bonnet of one of the cars for a snooze after a look around from the vantage point. Our driver said this was Kike.

post-6125-0-21578200-1372498802_thumb.jpg

The afternoon drive was a bit quiet until we came across this male coalition (no idea which or where)

post-6125-0-40569900-1372498826_thumb.jpg

post-6125-0-65372500-1372498841_thumb.jpg

On 6/29/2013 at 9:03 AM, loafer247 said:

@@graceland, @@ice,  @@PT123, thank you all very much for your contributions so far. I'll make sure you get feedback on the cheetah ID's.

ICE - her contact details are as follows:

Dr. Elena V. Chelysheva (PhD)

Principal Investigator

Mara-Meru Cheetah Project

e-mail: cheetah9@mail.ru

chelysheva.elena@gmail.com

Tel (Kenya): +254 771 774 308

Your contributions will be very important as she is in particular looking for older photos.

thanks for that, it will take me some time but I will surely get back to her

Mara North end of June, 2010, mother and cub hunt:

IMG_0694.JPG

IMG_0701.JPG

IMG_0703.JPG

IMG_0705.JPG

IMG_0709.JPG

DSC_6997.JPG

IMG_0714.JPG

IMG_0716.JPG

IMG_0726.JPG

IMG_0732.JPG

IMG_0752.JPG

IMG_0757.JPG

IMG_0782.JPG

IMG_0783.JPG

IMG_0784.JPG

IMG_0787.JPG

IMG_0800.JPGDSC_5620.JPG

Masai Mara, Burrangat Plains, two males, Late Jun , 2010:

IMG_1571.JPG

IMG_1575.JPG

IMG_1576.JPG

DSC_8207.JPG

DSC_8211.JPG

1197519384.JPEG

1197504392.JPEG

1197616128.JPEG

1197650800.JPEG

1197632384.JPEG

Thanks for your help with this worthwile task loafer. It's sort of like "show us your cheetah pictures" but with a mission in mind. I'll be adding some images soon.

Edited by Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Quality may be lacking. From slide to print to scan.

2001, northern Mara

gallery_108_360_117397.jpg

same mother and cubs as above

gallery_108_71_53863.jpg

2000, central Male

gallery_108_360_67783.jpg

same male

gallery_108_360_49209.jpg

2010 Talek 3 brothers

gallery_108_348_53808.jpggallery_108_348_44025.jpggallery_108_348_53979.jpg

gallery_108_348_1225.jpggallery_108_348_65663.jpg

2010 Mara triangle

gallery_108_348_124171.jpg

Best wishes with your research.

That was my suspicion too. I wonder which female she is on the database.

Thanks to all for sending photos so far. I'm sure there are more contributions to come.

Dhruv

Tracks Berg Travel

This was near Poachers Lookout Hill... :)

post-21624-0-84406300-1373266876_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Tracks Berg Travel

I spotted these beautiful cats near Fig tree lodge... I hope they will help with the research

post-21624-0-12278200-1375605469_thumb.jpg

post-21624-0-92749400-1375605865_thumb.jpg

Near the Kichwa Tembo airstrip Jan 2013

gallery_5263_807_1206488.jpg

Thanks all for the photos. I'm meeting Dr Elena in the Mara on 18th August so will show her all of these photos. If anyone has any questions you would like me to ask her then please feel free to message them to me.

Good news for any Mara cheetah fans is that with the migration in full swing, a lot of the cheetahs have returned to the Mara - my guide from Intrepids saw Malaika and cub, Amani and 3 cubs and two other unidentified females yesterday.

Dhruv

• 3 months later...

Dear All,

A few have you have requested Dr. Elenas email address for you to send her some images directly.

It is cheetah9@mail.ru

Good news from the Mara is that the migrations is back!! Yes it's late November and the wildebeest are back due to the rains in the Mara which is providing them with plenty of fresh grass.

The Mara cheetahs are benefiting from this unexpected surprise. Amani has two new cubs, and there are 3 or 4 other females with fairly young cubs.

1452111_221602924682343_450032611_n.jpg

• 11 months later...
madaboutcheetah

How members on safaritalk can help the Cheetah in the Masai Mara

Dear All,

I was lucky to have met Dr.Elena Chelysheva the Principal Investigator with the the Mara Meru cheetah project. Thanks to @@loafer247 for the introduction.

Her email is cheetah9@mail.ru

You can follow their work on their face book page "Mara Meru cheetah project" or www.marameru.org

What She requests is photos of cheetahs and cubs for i.d basis (approx month;year) and location if you know ......... They do have a data base starting 2001 - so, even images from back in the day will help them. Also, applies to the Northern Serengeti as some of the cheetah do pop across via the very shallow Sand River.

The type of images will be side on shots - especially the front and rear legs and the tail (facial shots don't really help).

Cheetahs in the Mara need all the help! and this is easy for any of us do ........... PLEASE!!!!!!

Thank You

Hari

I shall co-ordinate with both @@loafer247 and @gamewarden to see how we can get an interview done for safaritalk.

Hari, should we send her the pics to her mailaccount or post here? There's already is a thread with this purpose on Safaritalk:

http://safaritalk.net/topic/10998-mara-cheetah-photos-help-the-cheetah-research-team/?hl=+cheetah%20+project%20+mara

madaboutcheetah

Oh! How did I miss that????

Not sure now ...... She wanted me to email them to her.

Maybe @@loafer247 can give us some input too as how to take this forward.

madaboutcheetah

Thanks, GW

All - I suggest you keep posting to this thread!

For anyone living in Nairobi, I have sponsored a stand for her at the upcoming Kuona Art Exhibition held at the Sarit Centre from 6-9 November where she will be selling her artwork.

I urge anyone to come and visit the exhibition and her stand in particular.

Dhruv

All - One other area where you can help.

If you have any old camera bodies or lenses which you want to get rid of then the researchers really need them to give to the rangers, guides etc... to help with greater coverage of the Mara cheetah population.

I would be willing to pay market price for this equipment to help put.

Please let me know if you can help.

madaboutcheetah

@@loafer247,

I have an old Nikon D300 that I no longer use and would like to donate to them also.

now - can you please highlight the thread to Dr.Elena to keep up with the cheetah photos - maybe she can just download them from this thread for her database?

Thanks

Hari

@loafer247 @madaboutcheetah Fantastic stuff. Thank you. Matt.

@@madaboutcheetah - massive thanks to you for your offer to donate a camera to the Project.

I have already highlighted this thread to Elena and she will periodically check it. she will also send anyone who sends a cheetah pic an IM giving information about the cheetah if it is on their database.

FYI - I just returned from a quick 2 night break to the Mara - Managed to see 10 cheetahs, although pics weren't great due to light. Will post pics to this thread to keep the momentum.