See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
loafer247

Mara Cheetah photos - help the Cheetah Research team

82 posts in this topic

How members on safaritalk can help the Cheetah in the Masai Mara

Dear All,

I was lucky to have met Dr.Elena Chelysheva the Principal Investigator with the the Mara Meru cheetah project. Thanks to @@loafer247 for the introduction.

Her email is cheetah9@mail.ru

You can follow their work on their face book page "Mara Meru cheetah project" or www.marameru.org

What She requests is photos of cheetahs and cubs for i.d basis (approx month;year) and location if you know ......... They do have a data base starting 2001 - so, even images from back in the day will help them. Also, applies to the Northern Serengeti as some of the cheetah do pop across via the very shallow Sand River.

The type of images will be side on shots - especially the front and rear legs and the tail (facial shots don't really help).

Cheetahs in the Mara need all the help! and this is easy for any of us do ........... PLEASE!!!!!!

Thank You

Hari

I shall co-ordinate with both @@loafer247 and @gamewarden to see how we can get an interview done for safaritalk.

Hari, should we send her the pics to her mailaccount or post here? There's already is a thread with this purpose on Safaritalk:

http://safaritalk.net/topic/10998-mara-cheetah-photos-help-the-cheetah-research-team/?hl=+cheetah%20+project%20+mara

Oh! How did I miss that????

Not sure now ...... She wanted me to email them to her.

Maybe @@loafer247 can give us some input too as how to take this forward.

Thanks, GW

All - I suggest you keep posting to this thread!

For anyone living in Nairobi, I have sponsored a stand for her at the upcoming Kuona Art Exhibition held at the Sarit Centre from 6-9 November where she will be selling her artwork.

I urge anyone to come and visit the exhibition and her stand in particular.

Dhruv

1 person likes this

All - One other area where you can help.

If you have any old camera bodies or lenses which you want to get rid of then the researchers really need them to give to the rangers, guides etc... to help with greater coverage of the Mara cheetah population.

I would be willing to pay market price for this equipment to help put.

Please let me know if you can help.

1 person likes this

@@loafer247,

I have an old Nikon D300 that I no longer use and would like to donate to them also.

now - can you please highlight the thread to Dr.Elena to keep up with the cheetah photos - maybe she can just download them from this thread for her database?

Thanks

Hari

1 person likes this

@loafer247 @madaboutcheetah Fantastic stuff. Thank you. Matt.

@@madaboutcheetah - massive thanks to you for your offer to donate a camera to the Project.

I have already highlighted this thread to Elena and she will periodically check it. she will also send anyone who sends a cheetah pic an IM giving information about the cheetah if it is on their database.

FYI - I just returned from a quick 2 night break to the Mara - Managed to see 10 cheetahs, although pics weren't great due to light. Will post pics to this thread to keep the momentum.

Dear friends, thank you very much for your wonderful photos! To date, we identified 67 adult individuals in the Mara and know kinship of 55 of them. To accomplish task, we are looking for images of mothers with cubs of different ages photographed in 2002-2012. For identification, we use spot patterns on the limbs and spots and rings on the tail. For more details see: http://marameru.org/eng/project/cheetah-identification/ Please note, that profiles of walking, standing or sitting cheetahs are the best for identification. All photographs contain date and time (if it was set up in the camera) which helps keeping personal cheetah records, while posted pictures don't have this important information. We would highly appreciate if you could send your original photos of cheetah profiles of single individuals or groups to mara-cheetah@mail.ru Thank you for your support!

1 person likes this

I would like to thank Dhruv, who kindly sponsored Mara-Meru Project stand at the first ART FAIR held at Sarit Center in Nairobi for given opportunity to display my art works, and all visitors of the Fair for sharig ideas and offering collaboration, and for purchasing my art pieces. Thank you Dhruv for your continuous support of our work! And thank you all who are willing to support our projefct! We appreciate any help

Special thanks to Matt for coordination our project with Safaritalk great team

@@ice

Yes, certainly, it would be easier to us working on photos if they are sent by e-mail. Please send your photos to: cheetah9@mail.ru Please be sure that theiesize is not less than 1Mb. Thank you in advance. Best regards, Elena

@@ice

Yes, certainly, it would be easier to us working on photos if they are sent by e-mail. Please send your photos to: cheetah9@mail.ru Please be sure that their size is not less than 1Mb. Thank you in advance. Best regards, Elena

isn't it possible to submit the photos via eMail? I have dozens of pictures from half a dozen visits to the Mara, some more than 10 years old - sorry but it's too much work to upload them here pic by pic

Yes, I will highly appreciate if you could send your photos to cheetah9@mail.ru . Please be sure that the size of pictures is not much less than 1Mb. Thank you in advance. Best regards, Elena

19th November 2010, Olare Orok Conservancy, Mother (very distictive scar on cheek) with 2 sub-adult cubs

DSC_1189.jpg

DSC_1190.jpg

DSC_1202.jpg

DSC_1206.jpg

DSC_1213.jpg

Can you work with .NEF Raw files or do you need .jpeg? If you let me know I'll email them through.

2 people like this

Sorry @@Mara Meru Cheetah, forgot to "mention you" in the above post - Can you work with .NEF Raw files or do you need .jpeg? If you let me know I'll email them through

Posted (edited)

Dear Ian,

Thank you very much for your great photos. The female you saw was Narasha, who isthe oldest female in the Maraat the moment. If you have profiles of both of her cubs of 2010, please send them to: mara-cheetah@mail.ru

I can work with NEF, but they might be too large to send. Therefore, I would prefer Jpeg of 1-9 Mb. Thank you. Elena

Edited by Mara Meru Cheetah

Posted (edited)

Oh! How did I miss that????

Not sure now ...... She wanted me to email them to her.

Maybe @@loafer247 can give us some input too as how to take this forward.

Definitely, sending photos via e-mail saves a very important information - date and time which saves automatically if these parameters were set up in the camera. All picturesposted on the Internet lose these data and wecannot use these photos for thepersonal cheetah records.

Edited by Mara Meru Cheetah

Sorry @@Mara Meru Cheetah, forgot to "mention you" in the above post - Can you work with .NEF Raw files or do you need .jpeg? If you let me know I'll email them through

Dear Ian,

Thank you very much for your great photos. The female you saw was Narasha, who isthe oldest female in the Maraat the moment. If you have profiles of both of her cubs of 2010, please send them to: mara-cheetah@mail.ru

I can work with NEF, but they might be too large to send. Therefore, I would prefer Jpeg of 1-9 Mb. Thank you. Elena

Masai Mara, Burrangat Plains, two males, Late Jun , 2010:

IMG_1571.JPG

IMG_1575.JPG

IMG_1576.JPG

DSC_8207.JPG

DSC_8211.JPG

1197519384.JPEG

1197504392.JPEG

1197616128.JPEG

1197650800.JPEG

1197632384.JPEG

Your pictures are great. Would ypu please send the one with a profile to cheetah9@mail.ru? If you have any other profiles, would ypu pleasesend them too? Thank you. Elena

isn't it possible to submit the photos via eMail? I have dozens of pictures from half a dozen visits to the Mara, some more than 10 years old - sorry but it's too much work to upload them here pic by pic

Sending photos via e-mail saves a very important information - date and time which saves automatically if these parameters were set up in the camera. All picturesposted on the Internet lose these data and wecannot use these photos for thepersonal cheetah records. You can send photos to cheetah9@mail.ru Thank you. Elena

IMG_0954-2.jpg

Here is a photo of a mum and two sub-adult cubs taken in April 2012 near Double Cross. This photo was taken by by good friends and professional photographers Aatish and Aashit Patel

That was Resy, the oldest Mara cheetah ever recorded. I observed her in 2001, and the last spotting was when she was 13 yars old! We now observe her daughter and grand-daughter in the Mara

The Mara Meru Cheetah Project is finally starting in Meru, the website of which can be found here: www.marameru.org. Where should photos of Merus cheetahs be uploaded or are Safaritalk only supporting documenting of Mara cheetahs?

We on Safaritalk are also supporting the project by documenting cheetahs in the Masai Mara here, so if you have any images taken of cheetahs in the Mara please upload them there.