Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cannedlion

Bees and Colony Collapse Disorder

4 posts in this topic

Preferable, nay, essential, to save the bees I think. Some recent concerns here about a chemical that is disorientating the bees. Think that they are trying to ban it in Europe.

Big firms like Monsanto and Nestlé (often overlooked because Monsanto is always named first) promote a new way of crop raising; without natural pollinators. Their crops yield more, and as politicians will always do "what's best for the people" I think the outcome of the "Monsanto-way vs natural-way" debate will be in favor of (companies like) Monsanto.

There's already a bit of proof pointing in that direction. Like the lawsuits that Monsanto recently won. And the fact that RoundUp is not taken off the market even though we now know the devastating effects of glyphosate on bees and other insects.

Universities may focus on alternatives for natural pollination. But I don't know if it's worth the trouble. I already see a downside to this; birds eating these little robots and dying from it. We would be best to tackle this at the source which is get our legal system to think for the whole biosphere, not just for homo sapiens. Or alternatively; reduce our numbers.

You know, we could also try to keep up with Monsanto, and produce insect specimens that are resistant to their crap. Here's a fun fact; some people are already doing that. But guess who's side the government is on: CLICK

The cause of Colony Collapse Disorder has already been identified - crop seeds which have been treated with a chemical produced by German Chemical Manufacturer, Bayer called "Goucho". The French have sinced banned it and the American Bee Keepers who were hardest hit, have sued the US Environmental Protection Agency for looking the other way - Bayer as far as I can recall has alos been sued for damages and the chemical is now off the market. Have a look at the movie documentary "The Vanishing of the Bees".