kittykat23uk

Do you drink the local water?

31 posts in this topic

Yes, I remember overdoing the shampoo while having a bucket shower and getting in a panic in case the water ran out before I could rinse it out.

Like you, we have also drunk boiled water from the river without any ill effect.

Whilst backpacking I remember drinking water from a spring that had a strong sulphur smell. No ill effects. We also let it stand in the sun for a few hours which reduced the smell considerably. We had to wait in line too and let the ellies get their fill before we could get to the water.

1 person likes this

Bottled water isn't necessarily the safe option.

There has been a lot of coverage in the Zim press over the last few months of heavily contaminated bottled water which has been found on sale in major supermarkets in Zim and neighbouring countries

http://www.newsday.co.zw/2013/04/11/consumers-fume-over-bottled-water-saga/

Kenya is the only place where I never drink the water, but I have ice, I eat loads of salad and I do brush my teeth with it, no problems but I too always take Imodium because Malarone anti malarial can cause "the runs" and nobody wants that on safari!!! I had it once between Nakuru and the Mara and that was NO JOKE ! That was the road trip not flying. OMG

@@owenshaffer have you are anyone you know got sick from Nairobi tap water ?

In Kenya I have only got that problem after fruit crumbles, but nothing else on a camping trip, and after salada at some Tsavo lodges.

Funny people should mention how clean the Okavango Delta is. While it looks pristine and filtered by all that gorgeous plantlife, agricultural and mining runoff is a massive problem in the delta and includes lovely stuff like DDT:

http://www.sewanee.edu/academics/biology/news/thea-edwards.php

I drink treated tapwater. Steripens are awesome and convenient and I'm not contributing to all the plastic on the side of the road.