See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Do you drink the local water?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 kittykat23uk

kittykat23uk

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 4,464 posts
  • Local time: 03:47 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

Just wondering,

Who here drinks the local water when on safari? Coming from the uk we are usually advised against drinking the local water/ice in drinks, and eating salad. So would be interested when you are outside your home country, where do you feel it is safe to drink the local water, where would you not do this? :)
If an experience is amazing enough to be "once in a lifetime," I want to do it every year.
Alex: "Whoa! Hold up there a second, fuzzbucket. You mean like, uh, the live in a mud hut wipe yourself with a leaf type wild?"
King Julian: “Who wipes?”

#2 Bugs

Bugs

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,478 posts
  • Local time: 04:47 PM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident
  • Category 2:---

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:28 PM

Not in Zanzibar!!

But the water in the delta couldn't be cleaner if you tried. 

There's none so blind as those who will not see.

#3 urologysteve

urologysteve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Local time: 09:47 AM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:05 PM

Namibia is usually safe as well.  Certainly in all the main camps.

Don't drink it in Tanzania or Kenya.  Agree about Zanzibar.  I think Zambia is out as well.  Not been to Botswana yet.  Uganda I wouldn't when I get to go.

#4 A&M

A&M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Local time: 02:47 PM
  • Category 1:Conservationist/Naturalist
  • Category 2:Born in Africa

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:54 PM

Not in Zanzibar!!

But the water in the delta couldn't be cleaner if you tried. 

@dikdik I had a wash in the Khwai river not so long ago. :P  

• Bugs likes this

#5 A&M

A&M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Category 1:Conservationist/Naturalist
  • Category 2:Born in Africa

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

Water in Bots and  Zim should be fine ,not sure for European and USA tourists though.I don't do water so never bothers me.  

I never get thirsty even on very hot days,except when the sun goes down. :lol:

Edited by A&M, 26 May 2013 - 08:59 PM.

#6 stokeygirl

stokeygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:23 PM

Generally in safari camps, I'll drink whatever water they give me- it may be purified water from their borehole or bottled water.  I don't worry about ice or salads.  I think those sorts of places don't want sick guests on their hands, so they're not going to give you anything bad.

If elsewhere, eg in cities, I'm more careful.  I'd drink tapwater in South Africa, and I think I've had tap water in Maun.  I usually drink beer or wine so ice isn't an issue, but I don't panic and fish the ice cubes out if someone gives me ice in a soft drink.

I've never been overly paranoid in Africa and the one and only time I've been violently ill from anything food/water related was on my first trip ever, in 1994, and I think that was down to some poor refridgeration of food on the overland truck.

This is sub saharan Africa- I think I'd be careful in Egypt, for example.

#7 Anita

Anita

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,708 posts
  • Local time: 10:47 PM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:56 PM

Safari camps - I see more and more treated water being given and thats fine (preferable) with me

mobiles & drives - is still bottled water as a default and only choice usually

cities- I usually ask for tap water at restaurants but if its not treated, my concern is not diaorrhoea, cholera, typhoid or any other water borne diseases as much as lead and other metals presence in the water through the storage tank, so if I can ask if the tap water is treated, then its fine.

You have to know that with the world changing, its not the same old issues with water, but probably newer issues in the form of toxic metals etc. Over the course of a 2-3 week holiday, it should not matter much. I have a very strong stomach to most things and need/drink very little water so not very picky about things.  

#8 Anita

Anita

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:00 AM

PS- In HK, when the guys come to fix the water treatment unit, they run an experiment in front of you, comparing two glasses of water- one treated and one straight from the tank and the coloration change due to ionisation of metal present in untreated water, has quite a dramatic effect. 

#9 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,024 posts
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:36 AM

PS: In India - the water is very dodgy (Sad state of affairs) .......

In Bots, SA I think the water is as pure as you can get anywhere in the world?  Kenya/Tanzania I would drink the bottled water and would have no problems eating salads while on safari.

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#10 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,024 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:55 AM

Generally in safari camps, I'll drink whatever water they give me- it may be purified water from their borehole or bottled water.  I don't worry about ice or salads.  I think those sorts of places don't want sick guests on their hands, so they're not going to give you anything bad.

If elsewhere, eg in cities, I'm more careful.  I'd drink tapwater in South Africa, and I think I've had tap water in Maun.  I usually drink beer or wine so ice isn't an issue, but I don't panic and fish the ice cubes out if someone gives me ice in a soft drink.

I've never been overly paranoid in Africa and the one and only time I've been violently ill from anything food/water related was on my first trip ever, in 1994, and I think that was down to some poor refridgeration of food on the overland truck.

This is sub saharan Africa- I think I'd be careful in Egypt, for example.

I was in Egypt for work many years ago - very brief trip ......... the pomegranates were amazing.  Food (don't think I ate anything memorable as I don't have any memory right now).

#11 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,024 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:57 AM

PS:  New studies of bottled water (in plastic) left in a hot vehicle is meant to be extremely toxic........... stay safe while on safari!!!!

Edited by madaboutcheetah, 27 May 2013 - 02:57 AM.

#12 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,666 posts
  • Local time: 01:47 AM
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:02 AM

I take advice from where I am staying, normally the water is ok it comes from treated bores, I have used it and have no problems

I have been told that you might find it salty , well I did not .  Perhaps people who used salt with their food would do so , but I did not and have not used  salt since 1987.

sometimes there is bottled water in the rooms for a good reason and in some of those  places you can give them a water bottle  to fill with ok to drink water, to avoid the environmental impact of bottled water.

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#13 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,666 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:08 AM

I have not had problems eating salads either.

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#14 Csaba

Csaba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:29 AM

I drank tap water in S Africa, Namibia and Botswana with no problems.  My guide advised me to stay away from it in Zambia though.

I strongly object to the bottled water industry in countries like Britain and Australia.  Tap water is perfectly safe to drink yet we're pumping out billions of plastic bottles every year.

• PT123 and A&M like this

#15 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,666 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:01 AM

@Csaba I likewise object to the bottled water industry on environmental grounds, it is also very expensive.  I wonder how much people end up spending when you look at how much of it is in their supermarket trolly. the local water is ok on health grounds, and when very occasional if have had bottled water it tastes just the same.

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 27 May 2013 - 09:02 AM.

#16 ZaminOz

ZaminOz

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,984 posts
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:14 AM

Some perspective:

I was born in and grew up in Zambia, while living there I drank tap water all the time ... as well as river water when I had occasion to fall in them. I didn't get sick and I even survived.

My family immigrated to Australia where I continue to drink tap water and continue to survive.

On a trip back to Zambia in 2004 I ate from the buffet breakfast in the overnight hotel in Joburg and had the runs for the next 5 days.

In 2010 I had a mildly upset stomach in a camp in South Luangwa.

In 2011 I had no issues what so ever in Zambia.

In every country there are micro-organisms in food and water, the only issue is whether YOUR body has built up a resistance to them at the time.

I have had bad reactions to food/water in Italy, Mauritius the US and even in Australia...

... Shit happens... just some times a lot more frequently than we would like :wacko:

• kittykat23uk and twaffle like this
Warning, if any safari camps wish to employ me as a guide, I expect a salary far, far, more commensurate than my actual experience!

#17 ZaminOz

ZaminOz

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,984 posts
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

... imodium... never leave home without it.

• PT123, twaffle and Anita like this
Warning, if any safari camps wish to employ me as a guide, I expect a salary far, far, more commensurate than my actual experience!

#18 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 8,626 posts
  • Local time: 01:17 AM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:57 AM

... imodium... never leave home without it.

Hallelujah

• ZaminOz likes this

… clarity in thought comes after challenge …

#19 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,666 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:19 AM

that medication is available on prescription now in australia in pharmacies and supermarkets.

when I went to get some the pharmacy offered me a generic brand with exactly the same amount of the active component, at a substantial discount.

some people migrate awy from Hong Kong and their attitude to water goes with them. I work with someone from HK , and asked her what is this only drinking hot water about ? well HK water is not the best.

someone from Shangahi does the same drinks hit water only

#20 Geoff

Geoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:49 AM

Yep, before being offered bottle water I had always drunk the local water and never had a health issue from it. Admittedly that has nearly always been at remote camps, concessions and National Parks far away from human populace. But after reading the Bilharzia post maybe I shouldn't have....

As with many things in life it is all about risk. I remember one client at a Sth Luangwa camp that would not drink anything other than Coke. I considered that more of a health risk than drinking the local water.

• ZaminOz and PT123 like this
Geoff.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.