See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

UN report tries to promote insects as food

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,635 posts
  • Local time: 06:55 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:06 AM

http://www.guardian....ood-security-un

They say that insects are good for nutrition, but some people might have emotional issues were eating them.

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#2 wilddog

wilddog

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 2,393 posts
  • Local time: 07:55 AM
  • Category 2:---

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:58 PM

Have eaten a few strange things (scorpion, grasshoppers and I think a moth) whilst visiting the street food sellers in Bangkok with no ill effects.

All good protein if you can find your way through the exoskeleton.

#3 Csaba

Csaba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

I bought some insects from a street seller in Cambodia.  Seemed nice enough but I was VERY drunk at the time so I would have found anything apart from a Pot Noodle tasty.

#4 ZaminOz

ZaminOz

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,981 posts
  • Local time: 03:55 PM
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:10 AM

Right... I'm off down to the local Woolworths to buy a bag of grasshoppers :)
Warning, if any safari camps wish to employ me as a guide, I expect a salary far, far, more commensurate than my actual experience!

#5 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,067 posts
  • Local time: 02:55 PM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:13 AM

Have eaten a few strange things (scorpion, grasshoppers and I think a moth) whilst visiting the street food sellers in Bangkok with no ill effects.

I ate a moth in Bangkok too. Dropped into my beer and I didn't notice. Scorpions? I haven't seen them, but doesn't mean they're not on the menu. If it moves it's food for sure.

Here is an enthusiastic article to help you identify some of your delicacies.... http://importfood.co...ai_insects.html

Much better for you than crisps as long as you ignore the effects of DDT.... although I can't say I really like them that much - especially once they get cold and soggy

Waiting again... for the next time again

#6 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,635 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:11 AM

A number of years ago I squashed a moth , there was a whole lot of fus in the news about them, and the comments were that the local first people  eat them.  it tasted of nothing.

Something else that many people would not been keen on  is a whole lot of garlic, I once saw a recipie from the appropiately named Stinky Rose for mashed potatoes with 1 head of garlic per potatoe.

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#7 wilddog

wilddog

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:54 PM

I ate a moth in Bangkok too. Dropped into my beer and I didn't notice. Scorpions? I haven't seen them, but doesn't mean they're not on the menu. If it moves it's food for sure.

Here is an enthusiastic article to help you identify some of your delicacies.... http://importfood.co...ai_insects.html

Much better for you than crisps as long as you ignore the effects of DDT.... although I can't say I really like them that much - especially once they get cold and soggy

It was a few years ago admittedly, so perhaps things have changed.

At least my moth was deep fried - not raw.

#8 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,635 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:43 AM

this idea continues to be promoted

This is a serious take on it, I also find it amusing , a bit of a diversion amongst reports of wildlife poaching, mass social injustice etc

this case Columbia university press  THE INSECT COOKBOOK

In The Insect Cookbook, two entomologists and a chef make the case for insects as a sustainable source of protein for humans and a necessary part of our future diet. They provide consumers and chefs with the essential facts about insects for culinary use, with recipes simple enough to make at home yet boasting the international flair of the world's most chic dishes.

The Insect Cookbook features delicious recipes and interviews with top chefs, insect farmers, political figures, and nutrition experts, including chef René Redzepi, whose establishment was elected three times as "best restaurant of the world"; Kofi Annan, former secretary-general of the United Nations; and Daniella Martin of Girl Meets Bug. The book contains all you need to know about cooking with insects, where to buy them, which ones are edible, and how to store and prepare them at home and in commercial spaces. 

$27.95 $19.57
Use discount code INSVAN at check-out
£19.95 | Cloth | 216 pages | 126 color photograps

* Customers in the UK, Europe, Africa, the Middle East, South Asia, and South Africa should contact customer@wiley.com 

FOLLOW COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY PRESS:
ic_fbk_22.png ic_twit_22.png

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.