See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

On tipping

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#21 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,183 posts
  • Local time: 11:06 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:49 PM

I didn't know but apparently you're supposed to tip more at the more expensive lodges.
Do you guys n girls do that?

http://www.tourismup...px?newsId=67933

J don't worry your little head off,I will only take half ,that the up market lodges want. You worry too much. :D Relax you will be in Africa just now. 

Ah-ha....Is the reason for the question? I would have answered differently if I had realized.

Waiting again... for the next time again

#22 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts
  • Local time: 02:06 PM
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:14 AM

perhaps some people have a lot to throw around on tips

I like a whole lot of others here do not, the trip itself is expensive

in sth africa I tend to tip go trackers as they are paid less

places say tipping is optional for good service and sometimes give a suggested amount, some visitors are keen to pay this level

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#23 Safari Cal

Safari Cal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Local time: 05:06 AM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:44 PM

In my experience tipping is always optional, and should be for excellent service.  I agree with @stokeygirl the laundry girl deserves a tip as much as anyone else.  I've been to the same Lodge in the Mara so many times because of the service... as well as location, and don't mind tipping when I think it's deserved.  

I had a Maasai guide out of the Sarova Lodge at Sekenani gate, Daniel Ole Soit, who helped me get my exhaust welded back on after it fell off, the welder wanted a couple of thousand shillings, I paid 500 after Daniel told them to charge me a proper rate.  He deserved a good tip for going out of his way to help me and also for being an excellent guide.

Now here's one for you, I ran out of cash after paying for the repair, and wasn't going to use my credit card to tip him, so I transferred his tip by phone using the M-pesa service in Kenya after I had returned to Nairobi. He deserved every shilling of it.   :D

• twaffle likes this

Cal Kerr

“We all have our alloted portions of black and white paint; how we lay it on is a question of temperament.” 
― Ewart GroganFrom the Cape to Cairo: The First Traverse of Africa from South to North

#24 Tusker

Tusker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Local time: 11:06 PM

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:06 AM

Always a tough question to answer.. tip what you are comfortable with. The one thing I do though, is if I get a private vehicle, and like the service, I will tip more.

#25 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:14 AM

on my first camping tour  of Kenya  the guide asked for and was paid by the clients a set amount  per client

on a  botswana camping tour  someone went around collecting , I declined to give anything  to the guide who made comments at the briefing dinner encouraging black market currency exchange and told people they could throw out fruit peels,apple cores etc out the vehicle on the game drives.

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#26 bushmaniac

bushmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:08 AM

I will always budget an amount for tips but this is based on what I can afford and not on any set guidelines. But I will only tip if I feel the service is worth it. Sometimes I will decide not to tip and other times I might even give double what I originally thought, depending on the service received. I do, however, always leave a cash tip for the general camp staff.

But the total tips given always remain within the budget I originally set, I just vary how it is allocated or have money left at the end (for my next trip)

#27 Bugs

Bugs

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,502 posts
  • Local time: 06:06 AM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:52 AM

Important topic. 

Considering that guides and staff at the lodges get free board lodging and rations, above their salary. One has to consider that in a normal industry, people come to work, work hard and don't get any form of tip at all. Do you tip your electrician, plumber, or boiler maker?

Most of these camps over employ people, and as a result the work load is spread pretty thin, and it would be a pretty cushy job for an average person. Some times I have seen staff outnumber guests by 2 to 1 or even more. 

The only real skilled staff are the cook and guide and the manager. These staff are key to the success of the lodge, and its the lodges responsibility to keep them from hopping next door. 

I am dead against tipping. But I tip anyway, as its expected, but I tip on the very last day, and prefer to drop it in the tip box. I remember having one shocking guide who made absolutely no connection with us, but tired to sugar coat us with comments like "I am going to miss you when you leave" etc.. Fact it I tipped him anyway, as it was expected. 

I would rather tip for exceptional service. That is when you get more than you paid for, or expected. And that would be $5 per day. Or $10 per day in the tip box. 

• wilddog likes this

There's none so blind as those who will not see.

#28 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:37 AM

well you don't always have to tip cash

some guides are keen photograpers but can't get to shops easly

I gave a good guide at Umkumbde lodge an unused SD card
  • PT123 likes this

#29 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:47 AM

ranger guides  don't always have it easy sometimes as well as doing gamedrives and hikes, they also host the guiest, remove l exotic plants  and do maintaince on the buildings and 4WD/ suv vehicles

#30 Csaba

Csaba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:24 AM

Tipping more at expensive lodges doesn't make sense to me.  I would have thought that the staff would be paid more than those at cheaper lodges.

Whether or not I tip depends on the quality of the service.  The guide I had at Kruger got what I could afford as he was good at his job.  How he spotted some of the animals whilst driving the car is beyond me.  On the other hand I did a tour in Indonesia where the entire group decided to tip the porters and not the guide.  The only time the guide was nice to us was at the end of the tour as he was looking for tips at this point.

#31 A&M

A&M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Local time: 04:06 AM
  • Category 1:Conservationist/Naturalist
  • Category 2:Born in Africa

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

I say ,rather not tip at all if you are just going to give a very small tip,as this is just an insult to somebody that has worked very hard.  

#32 wilddog

wilddog

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:17 AM

I say ,rather not tip at all if you are just going to give a very small tip,as this is just an insult to somebody that has worked very hard.  

..............but very small is relative................ to what the member of staff earns, and very few of us know what staff are paid; what the cost of living is and, finally, relative to what we can afford.

• Bugs likes this

#33 urologysteve

urologysteve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:39 AM

Wow-

Opinions all over the board on this one.  I sure view tipping differently, but tipping is very different here compared to other countries.  In the US, if you give a 5% tip on a meal, then the service was very bad.  10% was average.  15-20% for good to excellent service. The staff at restaurants are paid less than 1/2 of federal minimum wage standards.  They cannot come close to making a living off of the wages.  But, it is expected and common practice here.  Everyone knows it and it is part of eating at a restaurant.

I don't have a problem with a lodge asking for hundreds of dollars a day in tips, but it has to be advertised as part of the cost and expectation.  If they list it in their price, then you have the option of going there or not.  But, if tipping is truly optional, then the staff should already be making a minimum satisfactory wage.

When I view a few dollars to me verses a few dollars to someone that makes USD $20-50 per month, I try not to get too concerned over it.

Anybody that has used a good tour operator or done an ounce of research should understand this prior to going on the vacation.  It is the only courteous thing to do.  Understand common customs and practices where you are going.  I'm not perfect at it, but try...

#34 marg

marg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • Local time: 09:06 PM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:21 AM

I agree that our viewpoints regarding tipping depend on where we live. Here in the US we always tip in restaurants as there is not a service charge...if you cannot afford the tip, you should not go to the restaurant  As far as camps are concerned, even in the expensive camps, it is not hundreds of dollars a day...unless someone is just throwing away money.  We have always felt that with giving tip money they need it more that we do.  And, we give it for good service and for taking care of us.

• Anita likes this

#35 stokeygirl

stokeygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:33 AM

To be honest, I think how tipping is done in your home country is irrelevant.  Is it not the golden rule of responsible travel that one should try and respect local customs?  It may be normal in the US to tip 15-20%, and if I went to the US, that is what I would do.  How would it go down if a tourist from the UK were to tip 10% in a restaurant in New York, or if an Australian tourist didn't tip at all?  I think they'd be chased down the road by their waiter.  I don't think anyone from the US would think it was an excuse to say "well that's how we do it in my country".

So what's the normal tip in a restaurant in Nairobi or Cape Town?  I bet it's not 15-20%.

So why is it OK for people to overtip?  Overtipping is just as bad as under-tipping. It instils a greed culture and, if camps see staff making more money in tips than their wages, it gives camps no incentive to pay decent wages- in fact it gives them an excuse to pay staff less, assuming they will make it up with tips.  The lodges that are now setting these high expected levels of tips are doing so not because it's genuinely the norm in South Africa- it's an expectation that's been spawned by too many overtipping tourists.  The whole point of the original article was that South Africans are shocked at what now seems to be "expected" in their own country.

#36 Anita

Anita

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,721 posts
  • Local time: 12:06 PM

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:00 AM

Well if you overtipped by local standards in Australia or Europe am convinced you won't be chased down the road by the waiters. :) There is no standard anywhere in the world which says this is the maximum you should tip including Nairobi and Cape Town.

And a lot of assumptions about what the tip does in terms of employers paying less, greed culture etc without knowing how much is really true or any concrete statistics. Tipping is not a substitute for your bread, water, rent, basic education etc. but it is a big contributor for someone to be able to take a meaningful jump in life which even with fair salaries you cannot.

I don't comment on anyone for tipping less or nothing- infact don't want to know any such details, so why is there so much passion coming in when people tip well or even overtip? Do whatever you are comfortable with. I think someone who saves hard for a holiday should in no way feel pressurised or even guilty if their tip is just a token. On the other hand you can't really have sets of rules if someone wants to be generous even if its over the top by your standard. Only the tipper's means and intent matter. If someone tips more, it is not about someone who tips less. What you are saying is if a guide from Botswana is posted for a year working in Disney in the US, even without the means, he should tip as per local standards. The amount you would tip- big or small will not dent your life but there is a chance you could help someone move ahead over time. It's not burning or throwing money because then you would run out of it pretty quickly, I would rather people are happy and have chances to do something bigger than stick to some adhoc rules about what is right tipping and how to tow the tipping line. But if the tipping amount hurts me financially, then for sure I don't want to feel pressurised to tip either.
  • AKR1 likes this

Ask not what a park/an organization/a country can do for you; ask what you can do for them ;-)

#37 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:06 AM

I don't normally tip on anything at home or elsewhere. only when things are very good, yes some places say it can be done on credit card and even have dorms to record what was given.

some people tip regulary, I can't afford it and don't. The trip itself is a major cost.
  • misato4me likes this

#38 ZaminOz

ZaminOz

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,988 posts
  • Local time: 12:06 PM
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:28 AM

The trip itself is a major cost.

I hear ya!

• twaffle likes this
Warning, if any safari camps wish to employ me as a guide, I expect a salary far, far, more commensurate than my actual experience!

#39 urologysteve

urologysteve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:55 PM

Wow-

Anybody that has used a good tour operator or done an ounce of research should understand this prior to going on the vacation.  It is the only courteous thing to do.  Understand common customs and practices where you are going.  I'm not perfect at it, but try...

To be honest, I think how tipping is done in your home country is irrelevant.  Is it not the golden rule of responsible travel that one should try and respect local customs? 

I think you and I are on the same page. 

China would be a good example.  For many people in China, if you tried to tip them, they would be offended.  Even if they had given exceptional service, they would not want a tip.  It would be an insult.  They were doing their job.  Understand the common customs and pratices where you are going.

#40 Csaba

Csaba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

When I was in China I met a couple that had been chased down the street by a waitress as she thought that they had forgotten their change :D 

Edited by Csaba, 21 May 2013 - 03:25 PM.

• wilddog and stokeygirl like this

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.