See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

On tipping

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 Jochen

Jochen

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,632 posts
  • Local time: 02:40 PM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Travel Agent

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

I didn't know but apparently you're supposed to tip more at the more expensive lodges.

Do you guys n girls do that?

http://www.tourismup...px?newsId=67933

#2 africapurohit

africapurohit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • Local time: 01:40 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

I do remember giving my largest tips at most of the private concession camps in Botswana and at Chiawa Camp in Zambia - but the service was fantastic. I also give larger tips to the guides/trackers when I have a private vehicle.

#3 PT123

PT123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts
  • Local time: 08:40 AM

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

I tip guides, trackers, porters waiter and room stewards based on the service received and am happy to do so.  But ZAR 750 - 1000 (USD 80 -110) per night is pretty high.

#4 Safari Cal

Safari Cal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:36 PM

In Africa, I tip guides, room stewards and my waiter. How much always depends on the service received, but generally it's around KSh1000 for most and maybe double that for a guide (which I normally only hire for 1 drive to give myself a rest).  

Not hard and fast rules, but more of a guide for myself.

In Borneo, the guides are with me for a lot longer it's normally between MR200 - 400 (£20-40) and a combined tip for the lodge staff of maybe MR100 - 200.

Cal Kerr

“We all have our alloted portions of black and white paint; how we lay it on is a question of temperament.” 
― Ewart GroganFrom the Cape to Cairo: The First Traverse of Africa from South to North

#5 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,065 posts
  • Local time: 07:40 PM

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:21 AM

I generally tip less at the more expensive places. If they don't think their staff are worth a decent salary out of what I pay to stay there, who am I to argue with them? Serioulsy, my assumption is that they do receive a decent salary already.

• Bugs, PT123, twaffle and 3 others like this

Waiting again... for the next time again

#6 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 8,623 posts
  • Local time: 11:10 PM

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:51 AM

Tipping the world over is out of hand and is my particular bugbear.  It is a copout for many employers to not pay their employees an adequate wage, knowing that it will be topped up by grateful guests who are mesmerised by the safari experience.

Pay your staff a good, solid wage commensurate with their value to your business.  If I feel that the service is extraordinary and I want to give a gratuity for this, then it should be an extra to their salary, not the reason that they can afford to send their children to school.

As far as tipping extra at expensive luxury camps … JUST NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!   :angry:

• Bugs, ZaminOz, PT123 and 5 others like this

… clarity in thought comes after challenge …

#7 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,627 posts
  • Local time: 11:40 PM
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

well it happens for some a rep of a major african tour wholesaler in australia told me that clients tip their guides at mombo camp at USD 400

that is each gest tios USD 400 for a stay

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#8 Geoff

Geoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • Local time: 11:40 PM

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

No way. I tip for extraordinary service.

• Bugs and ZaminOz like this
Geoff.

#9 kittykat23uk

kittykat23uk

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 4,457 posts
  • Local time: 12:40 PM
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

I have a few thoughts on this really.

First of all, there is a big difference between those of us who have to scrimp and save to even afford to get out to these places and those of us who have money to burn. I think this is an important distinction to be made. There is an expectation that if you can afford the price of the lodge then you can afford a tip commensurate with the style of the lodge. This may be the case but it may not be, because one may have already blown the budget just by staying at that lodge and have done so because of the expected level of game viewing.

Personally, I don't like to be told what to tip or feel pressurised into tipping more that I can reasonably afford to budget for. Pressure can come from both the lodges, the guide and from other people I am travelling with.

I think also that those people we would like to tip the most, I.e. our guides, are those that probably need the tip the least because we are already paying their wage through the guiding fees. Meanwhile the camp and lodge staff who probably don't get paid anywhere near as much as the guides don't get much of a tip.

I have noticed that many Europeans seem to avoid tipping!
  • ZaminOz, twaffle, Anita and 2 others like this
If an experience is amazing enough to be "once in a lifetime," I want to do it every year.
Alex: "Whoa! Hold up there a second, fuzzbucket. You mean like, uh, the live in a mud hut wipe yourself with a leaf type wild?"
King Julian: “Who wipes?”

#10 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 8,623 posts
  • Local time: 11:10 PM

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:08 PM

Right on!!  We have it the right way around here in Oz.  :D

• ZaminOz, Kavita and misato4me like this

… clarity in thought comes after challenge …

#11 Paolo

Paolo

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

Right on!!  We have it the right way around here in Oz.   :D

I would guess you are in for a shock when you travel to the States....

• twaffle and Anita like this

#12 stokeygirl

stokeygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

I like the safari camp system of a tip box where the tips get divided amongst staff equally.  I've never understood why a waiter or a porter is any more deserving of a tip than the person who does the washing up or the laundry.  I think I also like the tip box because whilst I don't object to the concept of tipping, I always find the actual act of handing over cash to be vaguely uncomfortable.  For the same reason, I wish all camps would provide envelopes in their information packs in the rooms.

I also don't really like discussing tips.  On my last trip, another guest decided to ask me, in front of other guests, how much I thought he should tip, and persisted in asking even though I thought I was noticeably uncomfortable and just told him it was up to him.

I don't tip any more at more expensive camps than less expensive ones.  However, I've noticed in the Botswana private concessions that quite a few guides have some very nice camera gear, so they're obviously doing pretty well out of their tips.  I don't think I've noticed so many guides elsewhere with the same level of gear.  But I've heard about wealthy guests who have splashed out on expensive camera gear or binoculars just for their "once in a lifetime" safari, and then give them to guides at the end of a trip.  Some people have money to burn.

• twaffle and Safari Cal like this

#13 A&M

A&M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Category 1:Conservationist/Naturalist
  • Category 2:Born in Africa

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

I didn't know but apparently you're supposed to tip more at the more expensive lodges.

Do you guys n girls do that?

http://www.tourismup...px?newsId=67933

J don't worry your little head off,I will only take half ,that the up market lodges want. You worry too much. :D Relax you will be in Africa just now. 

• ZaminOz and pault like this

#14 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,011 posts
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

I like the staff tip box too ...... There are so many behind the scenes people that we may not get to meet (the tent ladies, the laundry staff, the mechanics, the kitchen help) etc etc.,

I think in most camps, the folder in the room is meant to hold envelopes too (I find camp managers at times forget to replace them after a departing guest, so I normally ask the manager for envelopes for guide/tracker etc etc., if i can't find them in the room).

A couple of times, I was asked for tipping guidelines at the brunch table by other guests about to depart on their flights out ......... Wasn't really comfortable answering their question, especially in a common setting like the brunch table - I just pointed them to the in-room folder in the tent.  I'm guessing, their travel agent either didn't do their job or just gave them a lot of reading material that wasn't utilized ........

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#15 wilddog

wilddog

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

I have never been a big tipper and like others have spent a large amount of my income getting there at all.

I like the tip box for domestic staff who work away in the back ground but are so important to a good stay. I do tip guides but not a lot and usually at the end of a trip. But what happens if you are on a tour where you have different guides everyday, do you pay everyday?

Like @stokeygirl I think tipping, particularly the amount, is very personal. We can only give what we can afford and we should only tip those we want to tip.

Edited by wilddog, 29 April 2013 - 03:00 PM.

• ZaminOz and Kavita like this

#16 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

While on this thread, I've read in several tipping threads on Fodors - to use a Credit Card for tipping .......... NO NO NO!!!  If there was a dislike button, I would "click" that!

• twaffle likes this

#17 stokeygirl

stokeygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

I also directed this guy to the guidance in the folder in his room, but he wasn't having any of it and kept asking "yes, but what do you normally do?".  I was with my parents and didn't want to embarrass them, otherwise I would have told him to mind his own business.

Using a credit card for tipping sounds bonkers.  I even prefer not to do that in the UK, as I never really 100% believe the staff actually get the money- but in Africa?

• twaffle likes this

#18 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:15 PM

I also directed this guy to the guidance in the folder in his room, but he wasn't having any of it and kept asking "yes, but what do you normally do?".  I was with my parents and didn't want to embarrass them, otherwise I would have told him to mind his own business.

Using a credit card for tipping sounds bonkers.  I even prefer not to do that in the UK, as I never really 100% believe the staff actually get the money- but in Africa?

Exactly!!!

#19 michael-ibk

michael-ibk

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,825 posts
  • Category 2:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

I really think tipping is quite difficult for someone new to safaris like me because one has no idea how much is expected. As others have already mentioned customs and practise of tipping are very different in different countries. It´s by no way consistent in Europe, though,  German speaking countries tip about 5 - 10 % max for waiters. In Italy, Spain or France tips seem to be generally lower. In Northern America or the UK, however,  tips are apparently considered part of the income and are therefore much higher. 

It´s even more complicated when you´re far from home and have no idea what the regular income of your guide/waiter/driver is and what is considered a good tip for him. I´m really wondering, what would actually be the regular salary of a guide, a waiter or say a cook in Botsuana, Tanzania or India, for example?

I´m also expecting travel operators´advice for tipping also depends on their nationality, my German operator for Botsuana recommends USD 5,-- per guide per day und USD 3,-- per day for everyone else for example.

So it´s no wonder people like to know from someone more experienced and are therefore asking. I agree, however, that it´s really not showing good manners to ask in front of others or even a guide, it is a private matter and should be treated as such. 

And some of the rates mentioned here or in the article seem just absurd to me. Yes, I´m prepared for tipping to a certain extent in my budget but just to a certain extent - and certainly not hundreds of dollars a day.  B)

• misato4me likes this

#20 marg

marg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Local time: 05:40 AM

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

I don't understand that travelers would go to camps in Africa and not have an some idea of tipping.  How do you  know how much cash to bring?  Credit cards.....what a terrible idea!  After the fee is taken out there is less money to be given,  We give the same at an expensive camp as a lesser costly camp.  I take little cards and envelopes and use those.  The camp boxes are great for the staff but we like to give the tip directly to our guide.  Great guide, better tip.  Mombo...it 's hard to believe that amount but not surprising that some people might do it.  We go there and tip just like anyplace else.

• twaffle likes this

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.