The Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park (KTP)

Panthera Pardus

For those who prefer the less travelled path, I'd suggest you take the gravel road from Kuruman to Kgalagadi, via Van Zyl's Rus and Askham. You can get fuel at both places.

And Red Sands Lodge on the Sishen side of Kuruman, is a good place to stay. If you do, give my regards to our old friend Big Jake Kaufman, who owns and runs the place.

Edited by cannedlion

Panthera Pardus

@@cannedlion - we sometimes break the journey at Red Sands. Wonderful stop over place. Will give your regards to Jake when we next there in April 2014

Where exactly is the rehabilitation center you run - may just drop in to say hello to you too.

Panthera Pardus

09 August 2013

The day started at a freezing -8 Celcius and the morning drive was very quiet. Not surprising with those temperatures. In the afternoon we saw 3 cheetah cubs near Sitzas Waterhole

CB7A3334_zpsa30596ca.jpg

But they ran off when Mom called and disappeared ovevr the dunes

CB7A3339_zps4898ad4c.jpg

CB7A3352_zps012be5ef.jpg

We drove further south and got the best sighting of this or any trip at 14 Borehole. I wrote about it in the link below

http://safaritalk.net/topic/11371-leopardafrican-wildcat-interaction/

The difference in size between the male and female in the earlier lion shots really jumps out at you! Lovely meerkats, esp the photos with the babies.

Even without the leopard-wild cat encounter, it doesn't look like a very quiet trip to me, PP and Sharifa :)

Panthera Pardus

@@Sangeeta, it was a good trip but cannot compare to trips we have in months of Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec and Jan. Apr and May are also good. Have not done Feb and Mar and will not do Jun/Jul/Aug in a hurry again - too cold for our liking.

• 1 month later...

@@Sangeeta, it was a good trip but cannot compare to trips we have in months of Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec and Jan. Apr and May are also good. Have not done Feb and Mar and will not do Jun/Jul/Aug in a hurry again - too cold for our liking.

Looking forward to more when you have time. Pen

Reaching back a ways that jackal in front of the springbok at the waterhole is a prize shot. The roller and scorpion is tremendous work. It looks like the roller was flipping the scorpion around in the air. Meerkats, way to go! And more meerkats! And more brown hyena, a study of both ends. You've got a jackal and honey badger matchup, jackal and brown hyena matchup--I'd bet on honey badger against both the jackal and brown hyena.

"In my opinion the KTP is arguably the best Park on the planet for big cats (you can get really close to these)" Not just big cats. You have dogs, birds, many critters that you captured well in your shots.

Edited by Atravelynn

however, the difference between Mara / Serengeti on one side and KTP on the other side is that in the latter you usually (!) (not always) share your sightings with much less vehicles

having been to both eco systems numerous times I must, however, admit that the chances to see big cats are much much higher in East Africa than in KTP

• 2 weeks later...

Great write up Panthera Pardus. I haven't been to any part of the Kalahari desert yet but it is the place in Africa I most want to go to. When I someday do I'm sure your words here will be very valuable!
Though I noticed you didn't seem to write much on Spotted Hyaena? They appear in your photos a fair bit but there isn't as much sighting and location advice as with the cats. Are they ubiquitous through the park or do you not consider them as photogenic for visitors?

Also, from the latest posts, would you say the colder winter months greatly affect sightings?

Panthera Pardus

@@Big_Dog - spotted hyena are regular visitors to Urikaruus and Grootkolk camps and it is not unusual to get them apperaing at the waterhole after sunset, therefore difficult for photography.

They are found throughout the park and there usually are dens close to Urikaruus and also near Houmoed and Lijersdraai waterholes.

Brown hyena are aslo regular visitors at Grootkolk and Kiliekrankie camp.

We have only one winter trip (the last one in July/August) and although we had some great sightings we find Apr/May and Sep/Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan to be better. Have not been in Feb/Mar but also said to be good.

@@Panthera Pardus Thanks for the reply. That's good to know.
Can you also go offroad at all in Kgalagadi or do even guided tours stick to paths?

you can absolutely not drive off road in KTP, not as a private visitor, not as a guide; however, some of the SAN Parks guides sometimes use maintenance roads for guided drives

• 1 month later...

Thanks so much for putting together this excellent resource, especially for a newbie like me. . I am so looking forward to visit there in September 2014 and hope to see just a fraction of your many incredible sightings. Your photos are excellent and tell a great story. Thanks also for the details on the wilderness camps. Very, very helpful material. Great job!

• 1 year later...
Tom Kellie

post-49296-0-16865800-1431906206_thumb.jpg

~ @@Panthera Pardus

Ever since reading the term ‘pronking’ I've wondered what it looked like.

Thanks to your excellent image, I now know.

That's surely one of the more distinctive behaviors which might be observed on safari.

Thank you for posting it on Safaritalk.

Tom K.

• 3 months later...

This is a very informative topic with regards to KTP.

Well be making our first visit to this park in March of 2016.

I do have have question: Would a 4x2 Fortuner suffice for KTP or would it need to be the 4x4 version. We'll only be going along the standard roads and not be exploring the eco trails. Why the question - we'll be picking up a rental from OR Tambo and drive then drive in via Upington.

Regards

Riaan

@@Riaanf31

we have just completed our 7th trip to KTP and our rental vehicles of choice were always 2x4s - however, March is part of the rainy season, so if things come from bad to worst, you might get stuck even on the main roads. Happened to us once, but wasn't a big deal, with the help of another car we got pulled out, so imho absolutely no need for a 2x4, especially since our incident that part of the Twee Rivieren - Nossob road has been upgraded

Towlersonsafari

Hello @@Riaanf31 the only thing I would add is that although the roads running alongside the rivers are usually fine, in our experience, the 2 roads across thew dunes are very rutted, have lots of holes, and we were glad of a 4x4-but we are failry rubbish drivers! Having said that there were all sorts of cars,caravans tec. we wnated a 4 x 4 just for the reassurance

• 1 month later...

@@Panthera Pardus, I just realized that despite of the fact that I have read this report numerous times, I have never mentioned how well structured and how priceless from reference point of view your report is. I also enjoy very much your outstanding images! The same is valid for your (and your wife's) report about Kruger NP, which I consider also a "reference grade" source. Thank you to both of you for sharing your amazing safari experiences here!

• 3 months later...
Jaycees2012

@@Panthera Pardus

Stunning TR with some beautiful photos. But couldn't help but go OUCH !! for the one of the male Lion with the Porcupine quills.

We're planning to go to KTP for the first time later this year so will probably reread this several times to get a feel for the different locations.

Thanks again for a great TR.