The Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park (KTP)

Panthera Pardus

Penolva- why can't you ring yourself from the UK?

It's very expensive and if you are left on hold it's stressful cause you can see all your money dripping down that telephone wire! Pen

You can easily buy a phone card for calling overseas- for South Africa, calls this way would probably cost 2-3p per minute. BT have an international friends and family option for about £1 a month- if you add that to your plan, calls to South Africa are 2.7p a minute.

There are loads of ways these days to make cheap calls overseas. Here's another option-

http://www.cherry-call.co.uk/africa.jsp

2p a minute to South Africa.

It's very expensive and if you are left on hold it's stressful cause you can see all your money dripping down that telephone wire! Pen

Yep Pen, you can be on hold for about 15 minutes. For August, you should still be OK to get what you want if you send email the evening before.

Thanks for your help. It's going to be a great trip. Pen

You can easily buy a phone card for calling overseas- for South Africa, calls this way would probably cost 2-3p per minute. BT have an international friends and family option for about £1 a month- if you add that to your plan, calls to South Africa are 2.7p a minute.

I will get that BT deal probably and make the call early on the 1st of the month. Overall it's not going to be a big part of the cost of the trip. It's just I am so used to booking everything by email. Thanks again Pen

There are loads of ways these days to make cheap calls overseas. Here's another option-

http://www.cherry-call.co.uk/africa.jsp

2p a minute to South Africa.

@@penolva, I see you want to enter at Mata Mata. Book for Kalahari Tented Camp, move on to Urikaruus. Next at Nossob where you will get electricity from 5.30am to 9.30pm so you can charge camera batteries and transfer photos to your laptop, hard drive. Move on to Grootkolk and Gharagab and then head south to Kieliekramkie and Twee Rivieren.

Panthera Pardus

Thank you Kavita for liking the cheetah post. I did say that the KTP is arguably the best Park for raptor and cat sightings for the price you pay. Next up raptors which include eagles, owls, falcons, kites., goshawks and more

Panthera Pardus

One of my favourite raptors is the Balck Shouldered Kite, those enchanting ruby red eyes B) so I will start with that one

IMG_4619_zps9b1a4d5e.jpg

IMG_1202b_zps43729ce2.jpg

Tawny Eagle

IMG_9939a_zpsf2cecda0.jpg

Black Chested Snake Eagle

IMG_1185a_zpsa25636a1.jpg

Bateleur Eagle

CB7A6196_zps2cfc08d9.jpg

Immature bateleur eagle

CB7A6393_zpseab0266c.jpg

kittykat23uk

Hi @@Panthera Pardus are these birds resident or are there particular times of the year when they are more plentiful?

What are the areas around Twee Rivieren, Nossob and Mata Mata like for predators and birds etc during August and September time? The prices for a guided trip, staying in chalets presumably at the main rest camps seem pretty reasonable. So it might be another idea for combining with Moz, though would require a flight from Johannesburg. At the moment it's a toss up between that or Kruger and Sabi sand, but open to exploring other ideas.

Panthera Pardus

@@kittykat23uk The black shouldered kite is resident, so are the tawny, bateleur and martial eagles. All the owls and goshawks, most of the falcons are resident as are the vultures - will be posting pics in next few installments. The best time though for raptors is March/April as all the migratory ones will also be in the KTP - red footed falcon, booted eagle, steppe buzzard, black kite, yellow billed kite, to name a few.

Panthera Pardus

Cubitje Quap waterhole just north of Nossob is great for Raptor sightings so is the road from Mata Mata to Urikaruus. Generally you could see them in any area of the Park.

kittykat23uk

Thanks for the info! :)

PP - this report gets better and better as the days go on... Delighted to hear that May was a great month for you at KTP. I am very encouraged and have hopefully convinced a fellow STer to do this trip together in 2014. I have not been to Etosha or other places where one waits at waterholes for the wildlife to come in but had always thought that waterholes would limit the range of behaviors you could see. Evidently not, as illustrated so beautifully by your photos :)

Panthera Pardus

You welcome kk23uk.

@@Sangeeta, the waterholes are about 10km apart from each other. You can see some spectacular action near the waterholes, we have seen a Lanner Falcon take out a dove, a cheetah kill, a Pale chanting Goshawk kill a dove. Some of the action, you will pick up driving from one waterhole to the next. Please always bear in mind that nothing is guaranteed and there will be days that will be slow.

Panthera Pardus

More raptors - let us do some of the owls you are likely to see. These can be in the camps, just ask the shop assistants at Nossob and Mata Mata where the white face scops owl and Pearl spotted owlets were last seen and they will point you to the tree you have to search for them. Scan the trees carefully when you driving around.

The white faced scops owl

IMG_1210_zps1d2832fe.jpg

The giant eagle owl (Verreaux's eagle owl)

IMG_39022_zpsf1f351d1.jpg

Spotted eagle owl chicks - these usually are seen on the floor before sunset about 15km south of Mata Mata

550A1842_zpsfcd4e01f.jpg

IMG_1658_zps937a3fca.jpg

Barn owls - these normally take over the nest of socaible weavers but also ask at camps if there are barn owls around

S2032_zps6bce494f.jpg

IMG_9643_zpsceb58d12.jpg

Pearl spotted owlet

IMG_0556a_zps3d9870a7.jpg

africapurohit

@@Panthera Pardus thank you for the great information and wonderful photos - the diversity of animals seems incredible.

Hi Sharifa thanks that's exactly what we will try to do. Any problems bringing meat etc from Namibia? Can we do SA immigration at Mata Mata or can it wait until we leave from Twee R? Pen

uote name="Sharifa" post="95745" timestamp="1367140746"]@@penolva, I see you want to enter at Mata Mata. Book for Kalahari Tented Camp, move on to Urikaruus. Next at Nossob where you will get electricity from 5.30am to 9.30pm so you can charge camera batteries and transfer photos to your laptop, hard drive. Move on to Grootkolk and Gharagab and then head south to Kieliekramkie and Twee Rivieren.

Panthera Pardus

you welcome @@africapurohit and I think you will love the installment about little critters coming up soon

Panthera Pardus

@@penolva - there is a shop on the Namibia side just before you enter Mata Mata where you can stock up. Carrying meat through Botswana is a problem but not Namibia. You just have to spend two nights in the Park which is not an issue for you - this is to prevent the Park being used as a throughway. Your immigration will be done at TR when you leave.

Panthera Pardus

Final episode on Raptors

Pygmy Falcon

CB7A6346a_zpse36fd4ad.jpg

Cape, lappet faced and white back vulture - seen frequently at Cubije Quap waterhole

CB7A6120_zps69c4469b.jpg

Lanner Falcon

CB7A8326_zps4b1acd86.jpg

S2446a_zps34f22858.jpg

Brown Snake Eagle

IMG_7465_zpse7a4341b.jpg

Seretary Bird

IMG_4308_zps9274c6be.jpg

Red Necked Falcon

S26482_zps7e02267e.jpg

Immature Gabar Goshawk raidung a nest

226_zps321ffe87.jpg

Melanistic Gabar Goshawk

0122_zpsdce2adc5.jpg

Greate Kestrel

IMG_95562_zps821c693e.jpg

Immature Martial Eagle

IMG_9086_zpsb5d8dcf7.jpg

The signature bird of the KTP - Pale Chanting Goshawk

IMG_9777a_zps8af08029.jpg

Panthera Pardus

Thank you Dam2810 and Sverker

Panthera Pardus

Carrying on our drive south from Lijersdraai waterhole, Polentswa waterhole is always worth a stop for both predators and raptors. Another good spot to see a Lanner Falcon on the hunt.

Langklaas and Kousant are usually not productive but Bedinkt, Kwang and Cubitje Quap are all very good. We were delighted to find these two one morning at Bedinkt and had 30 minutes with them.

018.jpg

041.jpg

031.jpg

IMG_9342.jpg

046.jpg

IMG_9351.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Your report gets better and better with each post - enjoying this report very very much!!!

We have the Black shouldered Kite here in India too ....... looks exactly alike. I wonder if they migrate here in the winter?

Edited by madaboutcheetah

africapurohit

@@Panthera Pardus, 30 minutes with the most awesome animal in Africa (and two of them) - you are very lucky :) . They are fabulous photos as I know how hard it is to get good HB photos. These two seem quite relaxed with your presence?

I love the multi-vulture image with all three looking in the right direction.

Panthera Pardus

@@madaboutcheetah - thank you. The BSK is resident to Africa and Eurasia off the top of my head

madaboutcheetah

@@madaboutcheetah - thank you. The BSK is resident to Africa and Eurasia off the top of my head

Cool - thanks for the info! Around here in Coimbatore, I mainly see them during our winter months.