Indonesia

Csaba

All of the photos in this thread were taken during a backpacking trip in 2011. They were all taken with a £100 point and click that had a big scratch in the middle of the lens so picture quality isn't the best :) They should give a decent idea of the sort of stuff you can see though.

Sumatra

Bukit Lawang is a small village on the edge of Gunung Leuser National Park. It's about 4 hours drive from Medan. As far as I could tell their economy depended on the nearby palm and rubber plantations and taking tourists into the park. Everything there is very basic but it's a nice place to relax for a few days

SAM_2555_zpsc3f8c389.jpg

SAM_2578_zpsb5e082e5.jpg

There's lots of livestock and monkeys wandering around:

SAM_2582_zps31553764.jpg

SAM_2580_zps362cf52f.jpg

SAM_2565_zps36b99d61.jpg

Gunung Leuser National Park

I have no idea what this guy is

SAM_2616_zps5e024ebf.jpg

Onto the orangutans now :) I saw 5 adults, all of whom had a child with them. We had to run away from an orangutan called Mina as she doesn't like people. When I was in Bolivia I met a Canadian girl that did the same trek. She said that Mina stole the bag from someone in her group, climbed up a tree and proceeded to take pot shots at them with the bag's contents.

SAM_2648_zps17807dd8.jpg

SAM_2675_zps534bc31c.jpg

SAM_2677.jpg

SAM_2683.jpg

This orangutan is called Jacki. Our guide fed and touched her. I'm assuming that they shouldn't do this due to the chances of transmitting diseases and so on.

Orangutan1.jpg

SAM_2725_zps78f79fcc.jpg

SAM_2729_zps37f96a15.jpg

Where we slept. The roof did a surprisingly good job of keeping the rain out.

SAM_2767_zps5c1380ee.jpg

Komodo National Park

Both Rinca Island and Komodo Island are part of Komodo NP. Apparently it's a lot harder to see dragons at Komodo than Rinca. I saw lots of them at both.

DeerKomodo.jpg

This guy walked within a few meters of a 2.5 meter dragon. Nothing happened unfortunately.

Waterbuffalo2-1.jpg

Dragons3.jpg

Dragons2.jpg

Dragons1.jpg

Our guide was quite surprised that this guy was still small enough to climb a tree. A minute or two later a 2.5+ meter dragon came along the path so he had quite a bit of motivation!

SAM_4080_zps6e14496c.jpg

Great set of photos, it looks like you got really close to those Dragons.

The little guy looks in Leuser like a Thomas's Leaf Monkey. Looks like you had a great trip.

Great set of photos, it looks like you got really close to those Dragons.

The little guy looks in Leuser like a Thomas's Leaf Monkey. Looks like you had a great trip.

I nearly tripped over one I hadn't seen whilst taking a photo. You've got to love Indonesian health and safety laws.

Thanks for the ID.

Edited by Csaba

kittykat23uk

Nice! Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome for the ID, looking forward to seeing more of your photos and reports

• 2 years later...

@@Csaba thanks for the link to this report. this was before I joined ST so i'm glad to have a chance to see it, even if it's 2 years late!

I've read about Leuser parks and stored it for future plans. I had read that it used to have a OU rehab centre and that the OUs in the forest now are released OUs and their wild offsprings. Glad they are doing well. I read there is a feeding station there as well - did you see the station?

If there are only 7,000 Sumatran OUs left, you were very fortunate to see them in the forest!

The dragons are still on my to-do list! How did you travel to the islands, if I may ask?

Thanks @

Csaba

I am actually very interested in your contact as I am considering visiting Sumatra in 2017 (Gunung Leuser and Way Kambas). I have been trekking in Chitwan, Nepal looking for wildlife in 2012 during 8 days, but we had to go out of the park all the days and lodge in basic home stays.

How long did you trek in the jungle? Would you say it is easy to see mammals and birds there?

Please give me any information you have about Kay Wambas. I would love to receive any other jungle trekking destination in South-East Asia!

Concerning Komodo NP which I am also considering, I would love receiving further information (contact, access, prices, snorkeling possibilities, etc).

Thanks

Edited by jeremie

Truely authentic indonesian safari...

@@Csaba thanks for the link to this report. this was before I joined ST so i'm glad to have a chance to see it, even if it's 2 years late!

I've read about Leuser parks and stored it for future plans. I had read that it used to have a OU rehab centre and that the OUs in the forest now are released OUs and their wild offsprings. Glad they are doing well. I read there is a feeding station there as well - did you see the station?

If there are only 7,000 Sumatran OUs left, you were very fortunate to see them in the forest!

The dragons are still on my to-do list! How did you travel to the islands, if I may ask?

I didn't bother going to the feeding station. There didn't seem to be much point after seeing them in the jungle.

For going to Komodo I got the ferry to Labuan Bajo then arranged a day trip through one of the tourist shops there. I also took a multi-day boat tour between Flores and Lombok that stopped off at Komodo and Rinca.

Thanks @

Csaba

I am actually very interested in your contact as I am considering visiting Sumatra in 2017 (Gunung Leuser and Way Kambas). I have been trekking in Chitwan, Nepal looking for wildlife in 2012 during 8 days, but we had to go out of the park all the days and lodge in basic home stays.

How long did you trek in the jungle? Would you say it is easy to see mammals and birds there?

Please give me any information you have about Kay Wambas. I would love to receive any other jungle trekking destination in South-East Asia!

Concerning Komodo NP which I am also considering, I would love receiving further information (contact, access, prices, snorkeling possibilities, etc).

Thanks

I was in the jungle for 2 days/1 night. I'd love to go back to Indonesia as the scuba diving there is meant to be world class. If I did it again I would go into the jungle via Ketambe rather than Bukit Lawang.

Getting to Komodo was easy and cheap. If memory serves the day trip was around £15 each for four of us.

You can do snorkelling around Komodo. However,you should be aware that the currents can be very dangerous. The divemaster I had in Borneo said that Komodo is the best diving she's ever done. However, I plan to get a lot of drift diving experience before I go anywhere near the place.

Edited by Csaba