See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

What birds are you excited to see on Safari?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 kittykat23uk

kittykat23uk

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 4,500 posts
  • Local time: 04:13 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:33 AM

In my last trip, Purple crested Turacos were quite abundant and I loved trying to photograph them. I also really like Batis and Barbets. :)

If an experience is amazing enough to be "once in a lifetime," I want to do it every year.
Alex: "Whoa! Hold up there a second, fuzzbucket. You mean like, uh, the live in a mud hut wipe yourself with a leaf type wild?"
King Julian: “Who wipes?”

#22 owenshaffer

owenshaffer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Local time: 10:13 PM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:17 AM

There are many birds which I would love to see yet haven't. Yes, I'm planning to go to safari mainly to go birding. Of course part of the reason why I want to visit Ethiopia and Madagascar is to see the incredible birdlife.

#23 owenshaffer

owenshaffer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:27 AM

I have to say that I've really enjoyed seeing the colonies of carmine bee eater at Kaingo or Mwamba camp in South Luangwa National Park. I've also enjoyed seeing crowned cranes and Lillian's lovebirds there as well. I've also enjoyed see the white fronted and little bee eaters. I love aquatic birds as well such as the sacred ibis, saddle billed storks, and many others.

#24 David-Baluku

David-Baluku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 06:13 AM
  • Category 1:Tour Operator
  • Category 2:Tour Operator

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:43 PM

Thanks for your interest in birding and particularly in TZ. I have a colleague Mr Tony running a birding company called "Birding tanzania" , He could be know when the bee eater would be arriving in Selous or Ruaha. Try http://www.tanzaniabirding.com/

#25 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,477 posts
  • Local time: 11:13 AM
  • Category 2:---

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:31 AM

I have never planned a safari around any particular animal, avian or terrestrial, and I doubt I ever will (to be honest I have never understood doing that... Or I guess more accurately never imagined having the finances to do that).

There are many african birds that I love to see while on safari, but of all, Guinea Fowl are probably the ones I perhaps enjoy seeing the most in the bush. Guineas always bring a smile to my face and warm the heart.

~ Hi, ZaminOz!

I laughed when I read your comment on Guinea Fowls. Like you, my heart is warmed when I see them running about or gathered in the shade of a tree.

The helmeted Guineas have a certain zaftig quality that appeals to me. Their Vulturine Guinea cousins seem a bit more staid.

Glad to know someone shares my love of Guinea Fowl zaniness.

Tom K.

#26 Peter Connan

Peter Connan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts
  • Local time: 05:13 AM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:41 PM

I have only fairly recently developed an interest in birds, itself a consequence of a developing interest in photography, and now I often mourn the missed opportunities!

I am not really into LBJ's yet, and as many have admiited before me, it's the flashy ones that excite: Bee-eaters, Kingfishers, Rollers and Sunbirds particularly. But I have long held a soft spot for vultures and owls of all sorts.

However to some extent the sounds are even more evocative than the sights, and for me a safari is not complete without the sound of a Scops or Pearl-spotted owl, a francolin of some sort (particularly Swainson's) and like @Tom Kellie and @ZaminOz, the dotty spotty is a particular favourite, as well as the Fish Eagle.

I have not yet planned a whole trip around a specific species, but have done several day-trips of this nature and do now choose safari destinations with birding opportunities as a serious selection criteria, and I won't say never as never is a very long time (I hope)...

There is a bird book in my car's dash bag almost all the time, but I tend to do my identification after the end of the trip, on the hand of photos (my memory is not good enough for any other method).

• ZaminOz and Tom Kellie like this
Ek oefen skelm.

#27 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:50 PM

~ @Peter Connan:

I can't say that I set out on safari with birds as a target.

They're just there.

The safari itself is the target. Being outdoors.

If birds it is, then birds it is.

Likewise butterflies, dwarf mongoose, lionesses and reticulated giraffe.

I'm easy to please...

Tom K.

• ZaminOz, graceland and Towlersonsafari like this

#28 graceland

graceland

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,379 posts
  • Local time: 11:13 PM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:44 PM

Well since I am perusing this afternoon after a lovely time with my brother, who I have hopfully turned on to ST to give him some insight into why his little sister is Africa crazy, I saw this thread.

Funny I ignored birds my first safari, though  I thought them colorful. After about the third one, in Botswana and I came across the most amazing sight ever. A colony of carmine bee eaters carpeting the bush floor. I was mesmerized. There must have been hundreds....looked like a red velvet carpet.

From then on I've kept my peripheral vision in tact checking here and there a branch or two for some interesting color or behaviours. I like the water birds quite a bit and enjoyed the Hatchery in Botswana with a guide at Little Kwara, Hobbs. He was quite the guide.

• Tom Kellie likes this

#29 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,421 posts
  • Local time: 04:13 AM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:39 PM

Certainly for me the kingfishers especially the Malachite.

• Tom Kellie likes this

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#30 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 09:28 AM

Well since I am perusing this afternoon after a lovely time with my brother, who I have hopfully turned on to ST to give him some insight into why his little sister is Africa crazy, I saw this thread.

Funny I ignored birds my first safari, though  I thought them colorful. After about the third one, in Botswana and I came across the most amazing sight ever. A colony of carmine bee eaters carpeting the bush floor. I was mesmerized. There must have been hundreds....looked like a red velvet carpet.

From then on I've kept my peripheral vision in tact checking here and there a branch or two for some interesting color or behaviours. I like the water birds quite a bit and enjoyed the Hatchery in Botswana with a guide at Little Kwara, Hobbs. He was quite the guide.

~ @graceland:

This is good news!

I say that because a heightened awareness of and interest in birds in a sense doubles the pleasure of a safari.

That's because in lulls between animal sightings, very often our feathered friends are present.

The last of the dinosaurs, birds are highly intelligent, not the ditzy ‘bird-brains’ about which I heard in childhood.

They have personalities, such as drongos, no two of which seem to react alike.

Best of all, when your dear husband agrees to your next African safari, we might note a slight uptick in bird photos or comments.

Tom K.

• optig likes this

#31 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 09:31 AM

Certainly for me the kingfishers especially the Malachite.

~ @Game Warden:

You like Malachite Kingfishers, too!

I saw my first in Amboseli, two and a half months ago.

Look forward to seeing the next.

Intense plumage color — zapping the rods and cones in the blue spectrum.

Tom K.

#32 gagan

gagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Local time: 08:43 AM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:54 AM

I prefer big 5 of africa....ostrich, kory bustard, maribou stork, secretary bird ..and...flamingo/ brown eagle...

Edited by gagan, 09 April 2015 - 08:54 AM.

#33 gagan

gagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Local time: 08:43 AM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:55 AM

Owls and vultures also fascinate me..

#34 armchair bushman

armchair bushman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:Born in Africa

Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:13 PM

Next month I'm heading up to Kitale/Kapenguria area for the following birds (and all others I happen to see): White-crested Turaco, Chestnut-crowned Sparrow Weavers, Borana Cisticola.  I'll be accompanying two expert bird guides so I trust we'll come back with a very good list.

• twaffle, optig, offshorebirder and 1 other like this

#35 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:11 AM

Next month I'm heading up to Kitale/Kapenguria area for the following birds (and all others I happen to see): White-crested Turaco, Chestnut-crowned Sparrow Weavers, Borana Cisticola.  I'll be accompanying two expert bird guides so I trust we'll come back with a very good list.

~ @armchair bushman:

That sounds like great fun, especially as the expert birders will accompany you.

What is ‘Borana Cistacola’? Is that Cistacola bodessa?

Before reading this post, I hadn't heard of ‘Chestnut-crowned Sparrow-Weavers’. I hope that you see them.

I've never yet visited far western Kenya, yet feel as if by not doing so I'm missing something.

May your trip be pleasant!

Tom K.

#36 armchair bushman

armchair bushman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:Born in Africa

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:08 AM

@Tom Kellie,

Yes, sorry, I meant to type "Boran Cisticola", not "BoranA".  Cisticola bodessa.

Chestnut-Crowned Sparrow-Weaver is Plocepasser superciliosus

I should get quite a few "Lifers" as I've never done any birding in that area before.

Cheers all.

#37 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:16 AM

@Tom Kellie,

Yes, sorry, I meant to type "Boran Cisticola", not "BoranA".  Cisticola bodessa.

Chestnut-Crowned Sparrow-Weaver is Plocepasser superciliosus

I should get quite a few "Lifers" as I've never done any birding in that area before.

Cheers all.

~ @armchair bushman:

Thanks for that. I'm such a novice at East African birds that I wondered if there might indeed be some other Cisticola species.

The only place heretofore where I've photographed Cisticolas was in the bushes near the Succulent Garden of the National Museum of Kenya in Nairobi.

Looking at an image of Plocepasser superciliosus, it's a beauty!

I hope that you're able to observe it during your visit.

Tom K.

#38 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,856 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 01:59 AM

I always like to see the Common Hoopoe because it was the first cool bird I saw on safari.  When the crest is up that's a bonus.

If we can include Peru, I stayed 3 nights at the Cock of the Rock Lodge in Manu, hoping to see a Cock of the Rock and I saw several.  That bird was the catalyst of the last Peru trip, along with the macaws at the clay lick.  I am exciting about some day seeing the Andean Condor in Colca Canyon.  Have I become a Peru pusher?

In Samburu I'd like to try to get some photos of the Golden Breasted Starling.

• armchair bushman likes this
When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

#39 Alexander33

Alexander33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:46 AM

I'm looking forward to the bird life when we are at Phinda in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa this September. Narina Trogon as well as any kingfishers (Malachite especially) and sunbirds are on my wish list. Also, after seeing @ Peter Connan's spectacular photograph of the black egret in an umbrella formation while hunting, how about one of those, too?

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."  -- Unknown 

#40 graceland

graceland

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,379 posts
  • Local time: 11:13 PM

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:09 PM

I always like to see the Common Hoopoe because it was the first cool bird I saw on safari.  When the crest is up that's a bonus.

If we can include Peru, I stayed 3 nights at the Cock of the Rock Lodge in Manu, hoping to see a Cock of the Rock and I saw several.  That bird was the catalyst of the last Peru trip, along with the macaws at the clay lick.  I am exciting about some day seeing the Andean Condor in Colca Canyon.  Have I become a Peru pusher?

In Samburu I'd like to try to get some photos of the Golden Breasted Starling.

@Atravelynn

I'm looking forward to the bird life when we are at Phinda in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa this September. Narina Trogon as well as any kingfishers (Malachite especially) and sunbirds are on my wish list. Also, after seeing @ Peter Connan's spectacular photograph of the black egret in an umbrella formation while hunting, how about one of those, too?

I am a newbie to looking for birds on safari; now that they have been appearing regularly I appreciate them so much more; and since moving to a river, I have developed much more of an interest (as well as married to a birdwatcher, binos always ready) .

In Africa I'd love to see a Shoebill.

I was excited to see the kingfisher in Matusadona;

IMG_0689.jpg

I thought it just beautiful. But I have simple tastes; I am sure there are much more exotic birds I have yet to discover!

Always learning here on ST 

Next stop...Birding Forum :D

• Tom Kellie likes this

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.