What birds are you excited to see on Safari?

Game Warden

post-49296-0-88502200-1441188881_thumb.jpg

Samburu Superb Starling

~ Photographed on 22 July, 2015 at 3:19 pm in Samburu National Reserve, Kenya, with an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens.

ISO 200, f/5.6, 1/400 sec., 400mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

*******************************************************************************************************

There's no bird which more tells me that I'm back in Kenya on safari than a Superb Starling. From the first safari in August, 2011 to the present, sighting a Superb Starling is a thrill.

Yes, they're ubiquitous. Numerous times I've mistakenly thought I'd sighted ararity only to be calmly told by Anthony “It's another Superb Starling”. Such is life on safari.

Nevertheless, I like their cheeky character and over-the-top satin finery, shining under bright equatorial skies. This starling was the first sighting after entering Samburu in July, 2016.

madaboutcheetah

Lynn, just saw your post above - the rosy throated longclaw is really really small and quick - I failed in my attempt to get a decent picture last year in Bots.

attachicon.gifSamburu Superb Starling.JPG

Samburu Superb Starling

~ Photographed on 22 July, 2015 at 3:19 pm in Samburu National Reserve, Kenya, with an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens.

ISO 200, f/5.6, 1/400 sec., 400mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

*******************************************************************************************************

There's no bird which more tells me that I'm back in Kenya on safari than a Superb Starling. From the first safari in August, 2011 to the present, sighting a Superb Starling is a thrill.

Yes, they're ubiquitous. Numerous times I've mistakenly thought I'd sighted ararity only to be calmly told by Anthony “It's another Superb Starling”. Such is life on safari.

Nevertheless, I like their cheeky character and over-the-top satin finery, shining under bright equatorial skies. This starling was the first sighting after entering Samburu in July, 2016.

Tom, what a stunningly superb photo!

One day, I would love to see one myself.

Tom, what a stunningly superb photo!

One day, I would love to see one myself.

~ @@Peter Connan

What?! Superb starlings don't live in South Africa?

I didn't realize that. As many mammal species range over much of sub-Saharan Africa, I muddle-headedly supposed Superb Starlings did likewise.

They're a striking bird, no matter how many times observed. Small flocks of them turn up out in the middle of nowhere.

Chatterboxes, they put their vocal abilities to full use throughout the day.

Many thanks for your kind comment.

I hope that you and your family do someday have an opportunity to drive through East Africa to see them firsthand.

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie, while we have several different Starling species here, the Superb is not one of them.

The behaviour you describe does however tie in exactly with a number of our local Starlings, but I guess the closest we have is the Cape Glossy in terms of it's almost ubiquitous presence.

A beautiful bird in it's own right, it's a poor showing when compared to the Superb.

post-24763-0-02088800-1441253152_thumb.jpg

@@Tom Kellie, while we have several different Starling species here, the Superb is not one of them.

The behaviour you describe does however tie in exactly with a number of our local Starlings, but I guess the closest we have is the Cape Glossy in terms of it's almost ubiquitous presence.

A beautiful bird in it's own right, it's a poor showing when compared to the Superb.

~ @@Peter Connan

The Cape Glossy Starling looks mighty fine to me!

If I happen to spot one next month, I'll think of you, who first mentioned it to me.

That one starling species behaves similarly to another reinforces their ‘starling-ness’, which is comparable to Plato's ‘theory of forms’.

Thanks for posting the image, which may well be of use one month hence.

Tom K.

Tom, if you don't see at least one in Sabi Sands, I will eatr my hat.

Guess I'd better go make a chocolate hat and put it in the freezer so long...

Tom, if you don't see at least one in Sabi Sands, I will eatr my hat.

Guess I'd better go make a chocolate hat and put it in the freezer so long...

~ @@Peter Connan

My eyes will be open...

Tom K.

• 11 months later...

Woodland kingfisher for me - i Love his call in the Bush. Sounds of africa.close Second is the Fish eagle and ground Hornbill.

• 3 weeks later...

GW , the Martial eagle is my favorite bird,as it is very rare here in SA and the rest of Africa.While out on my trips I always keep a look out for them.

A&M, go to Kenya. I nearly always see them there. Last March, Ol pejeta, there were a pair we found regularly along the Ewaso nyiro river not far from the Bridge.

post-50530-0-21844500-1472036781_thumb.jpg

post-50530-0-04970100-1472036927_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

I would have love, love, loved to have seen flamingos in Tanzania. They were at Lake Manyara but merely a pink haze on the horizon. Hopefully another time!!

xPcOWnVh.jpg

I have a long list of dream birds which I would love to see on safari. I would love to see a lammergeier and of course a shoebill stork. I'm going to post a list of all my dream birds on Safaritalk because there are so many of them.