See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

What birds are you excited to see on Safari?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,407 posts
  • Local time: 04:14 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:12 AM

Have you ever planned a trip to see a specific bird species? What is your favourite eagle for example? Are you keen to spot a real rarity? Do you devote a specific day of your trip to birding, or just keep your eyes open and bird book close to hand in case you see something special?

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#2 Paolo

Paolo

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:38 AM

Have you ever planned a trip to see a specific bird species?

Not really, the one exception so far being certain localities in Uganda which I have chosen specifically for seeing Shoebill.
  • optig likes this

#3 A&M

A&M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Local time: 03:14 PM
  • Category 1:Conservationist/Naturalist
  • Category 2:Born in Africa

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:53 AM

GW , the Martial eagle is my favorite bird,as it is very rare here in SA and the rest of Africa.While out on my trips I always keep a look out for them.

#4 kittykat23uk

kittykat23uk

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 4,459 posts
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:59 AM

We planned to see the penguins and albatrosses when we visited the cape. We also tried other sites for specific birds, with varying degrees of luck. I tend to get excited by the colourful, by large gatherings of birds and the unusual. I'm not so bothered about lbjs.

In Madagascar we planned the trip for the lemurs but birds also featured highly. unlike someone I know I don't have a fit if I don't see every endemic bird on the list! I am happy to see a good variety of birds.

Ifi make it to Borneo next year then more time will be spent birding there.
If an experience is amazing enough to be "once in a lifetime," I want to do it every year.
Alex: "Whoa! Hold up there a second, fuzzbucket. You mean like, uh, the live in a mud hut wipe yourself with a leaf type wild?"
King Julian: “Who wipes?”

#5 stokeygirl

stokeygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:27 AM

I tend to get excited by the colourful, by large gatherings of birds and the unusual. I'm not so bothered about lbjs.

Me too-  I like bee eaters, but especially carmines and the nesting colonies in South Luangwa are spectacular.

I also like owls.  It's always exciting to see a Pel's, but I like the little ones- the Pearl Spotted, Barred and Scops.

I also have a soft spot for black crakes- funny little cartoon birds that make a hell of a noise for such a small bird.

• optig likes this

#6 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,018 posts
  • Local time: 03:14 PM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:40 AM

I am not an avid birder ......... What i really like about birds are the soundscapes that adds to the quintessential safari experience. Nothing like the sounds of birds chirping away, especially early in the morning.

There are some birds that do catch my fancy - all raptors, carmine bee eater colonies, the LBR(how can you resist the colors), saddle billed stork, Kingfishers (esp the woodland, Giant), Secretary bird (have some good images from ndutu - some very relaxed specimens there), crimson breasted shrike ...........

Still awaiting a relaxed Martial Eagle at close range.

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#7 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 8,623 posts
  • Local time: 01:44 AM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:16 AM

Well, I had planned a safari around flamingoes and Fish Eagles but have been distracted and am going for hirolas instead.  I love birds but can't say I've planned a trip around a species however I intend to factor in Shoebills for my Uganda trip.

… clarity in thought comes after challenge …

#8 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:20 AM

I would think Shoebills are a big draw in Uganda, a must see?

• twaffle and optig like this

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#9 Paolo

Paolo

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:22 AM

Well, I had planned a safari around flamingoes and Fish Eagles but have been distracted .

Really....??! ^_^

• twaffle likes this

#10 Geoff

Geoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • Local time: 02:14 AM

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:24 AM

I've never planned a safari around birding but the little owls are always a great find, ~ Pearl-spotted, Barred & White-faced Scops.

Martial eagles are an impressive bird too. 

Attached Images

• African-Barred-Owlet-Savuti-Botswana-2-IMG_0602.jpg
  • WF-owl-Selinda-2005-CRW_1032.jpg

• Game Warden, twaffle, JohnR and 10 others like this
Geoff.

#11 Treepol

Treepol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  • Local time: 02:14 AM

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:11 PM

A Shoebill would be a must-see in Uganda for me, although I probably wouldn't plan a whole trip just to see a Shoebill or any other bird. I usually tell the guides mammals first, birds next...

I've certainly added particular locations to itineraries to see birds for e.g. Lake Nakuru for flamingoes, Manu Cloudforest for the Andean Cock of the rock and the Pantanal and Manu for macaws.

This year I've heard that a young Harpy Eagle has been seen along the Transpantaneira in the Northern Pantanal and that is worthy of a detour, or several. I'm also including Shamvura in our Namibian itinerary next year specifically for Carmine bee-eaters.

Like kittykat, I'm most interested in 'flashy' birds rather than lbjs.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

#12 Jochen

Jochen

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,632 posts
  • Local time: 05:14 PM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Travel Agent

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

I'm with André; Martial Eagle.

Saw one in Botswana... right after we passed the fence line. My cam was still in the bag!

Then we heard that one was spotted by another vehicle (this was in Klaserie). We rushed over. It was a juvenile sitting in the shade.

Later that trip, we saw another one, but it flew off even before the car was stopped.

Grrr...

I really really REALLY would like just ONE shot of a mature Martial. In sunlight please. If it's not too much too ask.

Come to think of it; Pel's Fishing Owl would be cool as well.

• Sharifa likes this

#13 ovenbird

ovenbird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Local time: 10:14 AM

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

We're with kittycat...we really enjoy eye-candy birds and pretty much say "meh" to LBJs.  We also sometimes play at setting fun goals like seeing all the penguin species.  We've not planned a trip around any specific African bird yet, but we might in the future as we're half-heartedly trying to see all the bird families.  The eye-candy birds in Africa are too numerous to list here, even if just families.  I guess we'd have to say we get excited about any bird which is not a LBJ!

But we have done specific trips for 3 specific birds....Snow Hill Antarctica for the Emperor Penguin (our final penguin species), Gujarat India for the monotypic Grey Hypocolius, and Bukit Tinggi Malaysia to photograph the Silver-breasted Broadbill (see Dave's pics below).  The upside is we got to see much more than just birds on those trips.

Male Silver-breasted Broadbill

large.jpg

Female with pearl necklace

large.jpg

• kittykat23uk, JohnR, inyathi and 7 others like this

#14 Sverker

Sverker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:16 PM

I do not plan a safari to see a certain bird, but being a keen birder I really want so see species not checked already.

Of the unchecked raptors I long for, the crowned eagle is number one closely followed by the Taita falcon.

• optig likes this
Slower is better!

#15 Tracks Berg Travel

Tracks Berg Travel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Local time: 06:14 PM
  • Category 1:Tour Operator
  • Category 2:Tour Operator

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:43 PM

Favorite eagle i would have to say the Martial eagle but on safari i would also probably look out for the Paradise pin tailed wydah, Kori bustard, Red and Yellow barbets, Bishops and Verreux eagle owl.

Am not sure what happened to the beautiful Lammergeir eagle in Hells gate National park (Kenya), had an impressive wing span.

#16 Sharifa

Sharifa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Local time: 05:14 PM
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

We have planned holidays just to see the Bearded Vultures but that you can only see in a small area in South Africa.

On safari to the game reserves we stop for everthing we see.

My favourite is the Gymnogene which I was lucky to see a few times. A bird I would give up  a few other sightings for is the Pel's Fishing Owl. We have gone on guided walks just to get a glimpse of one but have had no luck so far.

@Sverker - we were lucky to have one sighting of the Crowned Eagle in Kruger. The Taita is still on our wish list. Went looking for it in the Blyde River Canyon area of South Africa but were not successful.

#17 africapurohit

africapurohit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

I've noticed that I've become more of a twitcher with age. Although I've never planned a trip around a specific bird species, I may have to deviate from this in my pursuit of the shoebill.

• Sharifa likes this

#18 Tdgraves

Tdgraves

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,725 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:09 PM

I'm with André; Martial Eagle.

Saw one in Botswana... right after we passed the fence line. My cam was still in the bag!
Then we heard that one was spotted by another vehicle (this was in Klaserie). We rushed over. It was a juvenile sitting in the shade.
Later that trip, we saw another one, but it flew off even before the car was stopped.
Grrr...

I really really REALLY would like just ONE shot of a mature Martial. In sunlight please. If it's not too much too ask.

Come to think of it; Pel's Fishing Owl would be cool as well.

You should go to the kruger - they were almost BBJs there in jan. Around every corner and sitting in most dead trees was a martial eagle! They would never fly off though :(

#19 ZaminOz

ZaminOz

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,981 posts
  • Local time: 11:14 PM
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:12 AM

I have never planned a safari around any particular animal, avian or terrestrial, and I doubt I ever will (to be honest I have never understood doing that... Or I guess more accurately never imagined having the finances to do that).

There are many african birds that I love to see while on safari, but of all, Guinea Fowl are probably the ones I perhaps enjoy seeing the most in the bush. Guineas always bring a smile to my face and warm the heart.

Edited by ZaminOz, 01 September 2013 - 04:13 AM.

Warning, if any safari camps wish to employ me as a guide, I expect a salary far, far, more commensurate than my actual experience!

#20 janzin

janzin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Local time: 11:14 AM
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:21 AM

I am currently planning a trip to Southern Tanzania, and while I can't say I'm planning it specifically for this bird, I really, really want to see Carmine Bee-eater, and I'm trying to time it so that they would have arrived. The plan now is for mid to late November 2014 but if that's too early I could move it up a bit, to late Nov-early December.  Anyone know when they might arrive in Selous or Ruaha?

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.