See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

LUGGAGE SPECIFICATIONS

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 samburumags

samburumags

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  • Local time: 03:12 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

I have never read that wheels are not allowed on the bush flights.  As I am travelling from France through London (and across London) I need wheels as I found the 15Kg bag far to heavy last time.  I will check with Safarilink about wheels but I am sure other folk have them.  Thanks for all your info - the search is on!

But, in the gathering darkness, deep behind my soul, someone, something whispers "Africa"" (Mark Owens "Secrets of the Savannah")

#22 stokeygirl

stokeygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts
  • Category 2:---

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:00 AM

Wheels probably are fine on Safarilink as these are bigger planes (I think).  In Botswana, a lot of the flights are in tiny Cessnas, with only 4 seats behind the pilot and one next to the pilot.  These have really small luggage compartments, and it's important that the bags be squishable and not have hard edges, handles, wheels etc.

#23 samburumags

samburumags

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

For general information I received an email from Safarilink (within an hour!) and they do permit wheels on soft bags.  Maybe this would be an interesting thread for GW to put on the forum for general information purposes. 

But, in the gathering darkness, deep behind my soul, someone, something whispers "Africa"" (Mark Owens "Secrets of the Savannah")

#24 samburumags

samburumags

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

I am still puzzled as to why they use litres for bag capacity but anyway I found the perfect bag today in a sale at our local Carrefour store. 45Euros very soft, very light and with wheels. Cant wait to fill it up! Thank you for all your advice. When I have hung up my safari boots I will see if it holds enough Tusker for Tusker and I to have a good evenings entertainment :rolleyes:

That was the 900th post, only 1,100 to go before I take the Pith.

Edited by samburumags, 27 March 2013 - 08:32 PM.

#25 Ed Grant

Ed Grant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Local time: 08:12 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:39 PM

The company that I will travel with supplies duffel bags (if you choose to use them).  They are "regular" duffel bags with fold-up wheels on one end but no internal frame nor extending handle at the other.  If a person is tall (as I am), then the wheels become useless, "dead" weight since you'd have to bend down to haul the bag along.  I'll probably use my own duffel which is much stronger than the ones they supply (and which I know won't blow out seams or zippers when it gets tossed onto the ground...thereby eliminating the need to take a roll of duct-tape!)  They also use both 4-seat and Cessna Grand Caravan planes but allow the bag size to be up to "regulation airline checked bag" size (62" cumulative) but "not rigid" and with a weight restriction of checked + carry-on = 20kg max.  There may be some heavier electronic stuff traveling in my photo jacket pockets (chargers, GPS, sound recorder, camera,) which do not get weighed!

Samburumags; Here in Canada retailers list most luggage by L+W+H in cm. but with litre capacity stated as well.  The reason is that as the bag dimensions approach a "perfect cube" (L=W=H), the volume increases so the shape becomes important.

#26 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,755 posts
  • Local time: 12:12 PM
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:32 AM

If you explain that you are not able to carry much weigt would they allow a small hand trolly of the type used for hand luggage for you to take your bag to check in?

how would this go along with the Wilson airport security ?

best to get an email answer in advance

The smaller Katmandu bag is a good choice , with the few things I was taking to Lewa it came in at about 7 kg.

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#27 bushbaby

bushbaby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Local time: 06:12 AM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 17 April 2016 - 10:56 AM

I thought I'd update my experience here since I used this thread to finalise my new kit. Even with all the good advise I went and got myself an 80 L tatonka (There was a super deal on it) - must confess its much more than I would ever need. I could be on the road for a month if I wish with that bag. I also got a 40 L North Face summit series which I find to be much more flexible and will be using it definitely a lot more. So learning is - 80 L is way too huge for a safari trip ! If you are really interested in taking your house with you, buy 60 L :-). 

Edited by bushbaby, 17 April 2016 - 10:57 AM.

#28 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,755 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 06:57 AM

30 Litres  is fine for a light plane trip , 60 L for a  trip with luggage restrictions

I pack my smaller bag inside  my 60 L , take the 30 L to Lewa , and leave the larger bag in hotel storage

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 18 April 2016 - 07:09 AM.

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#29 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,755 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:28 AM

I decided to try google for a conversation 

• Quora is a Q AND A , they  have some information on backpacks
  • Go to google  search under converting backpacks to liters  go you will come up with   https://www.quora.com  and why is the capacity of backpacks measured in  liters
  • The authorities set standards
  • for selected backpacks  Quora filled them with small plastic balls , took them out and measured them
  • They give the results in cubic inches, I converted by 2.5  to get it into cm a 30 L bag is 720 cubic cm , a 50 L BAG 1200 cubic cm , a 60 L bag 1480  cubic cm
  • a suitcase would be relatively easy to measure , but not an empty soft bag
  • hopefully the bag tag  or the maker's internet site would have the size in both L and cm
  • bags have to be measured flat , without anything which adds height like wheels or handles

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 18 April 2016 - 08:32 AM.

#30 Lois Hild Photography

Lois Hild Photography

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Local time: 07:12 PM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:45 AM

Check out the A Saks line of luggage. All very lightweight, some with wheels. Very reasonably priced. They have a large line to fit most needs. It might not hold up for 20 years of use, but I would expect it to at its price point.

"I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up that I was not happy." ~ Ernest Hemingway

#31 plambers

plambers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Local time: 10:12 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 25 August 2016 - 04:28 PM

for the ll bean duffle bags, what size would we need for the fly in camps and their weight requirments? thanks

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.