samburumags

LUGGAGE SPECIFICATIONS

31 posts in this topic

If you explain that you are not able to carry much weigt would they allow a small hand trolly of the type used for hand luggage for you to take your bag to check in?

how would this go along with the Wilson airport security ?

best to get an email answer in advance

The smaller Katmandu bag is a good choice , with the few things I was taking to Lewa it came in at about 7 kg.

Posted (edited)

I thought I'd update my experience here since I used this thread to finalise my new kit. Even with all the good advise I went and got myself an 80 L tatonka (There was a super deal on it) - must confess its much more than I would ever need. I could be on the road for a month if I wish with that bag. I also got a 40 L North Face summit series which I find to be much more flexible and will be using it definitely a lot more. So learning is - 80 L is way too huge for a safari trip ! If you are really interested in taking your house with you, buy 60 L :-).

Edited by bushbaby

Posted (edited)

30 Litres is fine for a light plane trip , 60 L for a trip with luggage restrictions

I pack my smaller bag inside my 60 L , take the 30 L to Lewa , and leave the larger bag in hotel storage

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

Posted (edited)

I decided to try google for a conversation

• Quora is a Q AND A , they have some information on backpacks
  • Go to google search under converting backpacks to liters go you will come up with https://www.quora.com and why is the capacity of backpacks measured in liters
  • The authorities set standards
  • for selected backpacks Quora filled them with small plastic balls , took them out and measured them
  • They give the results in cubic inches, I converted by 2.5 to get it into cm a 30 L bag is 720 cubic cm , a 50 L BAG 1200 cubic cm , a 60 L bag 1480 cubic cm
  • a suitcase would be relatively easy to measure , but not an empty soft bag
  • hopefully the bag tag or the maker's internet site would have the size in both L and cm
  • bags have to be measured flat , without anything which adds height like wheels or handles
Edited by COSMIC RHINO

Check out the A Saks line of luggage. All very lightweight, some with wheels. Very reasonably priced. They have a large line to fit most needs. It might not hold up for 20 years of use, but I would expect it to at its price point.

for the ll bean duffle bags, what size would we need for the fly in camps and their weight requirments? thanks