samburumags

LUGGAGE SPECIFICATIONS

31 posts in this topic

I am going to buy a new soft bag for safari and it is difficult to judge the size on the internet. The one I am looking at is advertised as holding 140 litres. Not being a mathematician I wonder if this is big enough or too big to carry 15KG of items which is the weight allowance for safari flights. Of course I could fill it with Tusker and being liquid I would know exactly how much beer I could carry! Please help if you can. I want a soft bag with wheels so if there are any recommendations for best manufacturer etc this would be much appreciated (not the luxury price range please)

140 litres is MASSIVE. My big rucksack is 65 litres, and when I bought it I was advised not to go any bigger as it would just tempt me to fill it and then it would be too heavy to carry. You could get bigger ones up to 85 litres, but realistically it would take someone a lot stronger than me to carry that when full.

So 140 litres is huge.

For 15kg you'd want more like 40 litres- I think the bag I use for my safari main luggage is a 35 litre holdall.

1 person likes this

yup its massive -it will be too bulky to lug around. My safari duffel is 60-70L- That gives me large 2 side pockets and more than enough room to carry gifts etc. Have taken a 25-30L as well and it was enough for all personal items if didnt need to stow any photographic stuff but nowadays need the bigger one for the tripod and clamps etc

I'm just trying to picture how big 140 litres would be- probably the size of a body bag!

I looked on Amazon for bags that big and I can see it's hard to tell without anything for scale. However, I found this 140 litre bike trailer. Next to the back wheel of the bike you can see how big it is-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/KMS-Folded-Luggage-Utility-Trailer/dp/B0046SGA56/ref=sr_1_4?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1364221997&sr=1-4

Mags unless you want to bring back Notch in it, might be a bit too much :)

Apparently this is a 140L ( Though the demo guy says its 155L, the website and description at the bottom of the vid says its 140L). This doesnt look THAT big.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je6yox8Pzeg

Thanks everybody, can you recommend a make and internet supplier?

I have fitted changes of clothing, equipment, boots, sleeping bag, mess kit, water bottles, electronics, batteries,... into a 90litre bag. That reached about the 20Kg weight limit on many international flights. I also took a 35litre carry on bag with valuables, cameras and a change of clothing.

I like Outwell bags. They're reasonably cheap so can be chucked when the airlines have destroyed them

Of course I could fill it with Tusker

@samburumags

You sound like the perfect woman....

1 person likes this

You might take a look at Eagle Creek. My husband and I travel with one each of the medium duffle 24x12x11 and capacity of 3600 cu in or 59L. It holds a lot and and after two trips they are showing no sighns of wear.

I agree with Marg. My husband and I also used Eagle Creek's medium duffel when we travelled carry on to Africa in 2011. They are great sturdy bags and weigh just over a pound. We managed to pack a lot in them.

Posted (edited)

I have this bag that I took on both of my trips to Africa and it made it into the tiny storage area of the small bush planes - I know you said you preferred to get one with wheels. I don't know if you'll be on little planes like that but, if so, they prefer you don't have wheels or a handle as they are not flexible to stuff into the small luggage area. Or at least the companies in South Africa prefer no wheels anyway and I can see why as these spaces are really small and they have to literally stuff the bags in! I've heard of luggage with wheels getting damaged due to that.

Anyway, this is what I've used and you can carry it on your back with the straps or you can tuck those away and use a shoulder strap or just handle.

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mother-lode-tls-weekender-convertible/143101?productid=10150072

Edited by SafariChick

Those of you in the US, LL Bean has duffel bags that lasts for literally forever!!!

I think there are bags and bags today that tick so many boxes , you didn't even know those boxes exist! Just don't do what I did- forgot to check if the duffle had zips and ended with this now useless Velcro + strap thing

no wheels....if you see the way the duffles get crammed into the small spaces for bags, wheels do not fit.

If you just want a small bag to carry a few clothes,toileteries etc 30 liters is fine.

rhat is what I have.

I got my 30 litre bag at a Katmandu outdoor shop discount sale , which folk here have problems believing that I walked in by chance when things were going at 1/2 price. I insist that I did.

it is made of a very solid fabric, is very light being only 610 grams empty , well made with great zips and a carry strap.

Well if you get this one at a cheap price it will not be by chance.

I have cheched their site ---- they have an Easer sale australia with a delivery cost added is no good for you, but there is also a British branch see http://www.katmandu.co.uk

I can thoroughly recommend it it goes by the name tanker cargo and can be found with search or under the bags and packs heading at the top. it is now on sales at British pounds 31.49.

their next choice is a 60 L bag for British pounds 59.49 (73 cm high X 33cm wide X 33 cm deep ) which the unsed space will just collaspe

I have rechecked the katmandu site for some reason they don't have measurements for the 30 L bag but if you want a small bag that's the one for you. The external zip can be locked and there is a webbing storage pouch innside the bag's lid.

I highly recommend the Tatonka Barrel Bags - I used to use North Face bags but have now switched to Tatonka. They come in various sizes/colours, are fantastic quality, easy to find in Europe and they look good too: http://www.tatonka.com/Products/Backpacks-and-Bags/bags/Barrel-XS/1996

My bag is something like this-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Karrimor-Cargo-Holdall-Black-Cinder/dp/B005CFDX66/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364212487&sr=8-1

Although mine doesn't have the straps that enable you to carry it like a rucksack- they look quite a handy addition. Mine has a clip on/off shoulder strap (looks quite similar to that Tatonka one actually). It has no wheels but typically only weighs about 7kg when full of clothes, so I don't really feel wheels are that necessary- my hand luggage usually weighs more! Also, as SafariChick says, often on the very small planes (especially the ones in Bots) they don't like luggage with wheels.

I have never read that wheels are not allowed on the bush flights. As I am travelling from France through London (and across London) I need wheels as I found the 15Kg bag far to heavy last time. I will check with Safarilink about wheels but I am sure other folk have them. Thanks for all your info - the search is on!

Wheels probably are fine on Safarilink as these are bigger planes (I think). In Botswana, a lot of the flights are in tiny Cessnas, with only 4 seats behind the pilot and one next to the pilot. These have really small luggage compartments, and it's important that the bags be squishable and not have hard edges, handles, wheels etc.

For general information I received an email from Safarilink (within an hour!) and they do permit wheels on soft bags. Maybe this would be an interesting thread for GW to put on the forum for general information purposes.

Posted (edited)

I am still puzzled as to why they use litres for bag capacity but anyway I found the perfect bag today in a sale at our local Carrefour store. 45Euros very soft, very light and with wheels. Cant wait to fill it up! Thank you for all your advice. When I have hung up my safari boots I will see if it holds enough Tusker for Tusker and I to have a good evenings entertainment :rolleyes:

That was the 900th post, only 1,100 to go before I take the Pith.

Edited by samburumags

The company that I will travel with supplies duffel bags (if you choose to use them). They are "regular" duffel bags with fold-up wheels on one end but no internal frame nor extending handle at the other. If a person is tall (as I am), then the wheels become useless, "dead" weight since you'd have to bend down to haul the bag along. I'll probably use my own duffel which is much stronger than the ones they supply (and which I know won't blow out seams or zippers when it gets tossed onto the ground...thereby eliminating the need to take a roll of duct-tape!) They also use both 4-seat and Cessna Grand Caravan planes but allow the bag size to be up to "regulation airline checked bag" size (62" cumulative) but "not rigid" and with a weight restriction of checked + carry-on = 20kg max. There may be some heavier electronic stuff traveling in my photo jacket pockets (chargers, GPS, sound recorder, camera,) which do not get weighed!

Samburumags; Here in Canada retailers list most luggage by L+W+H in cm. but with litre capacity stated as well. The reason is that as the bag dimensions approach a "perfect cube" (L=W=H), the volume increases so the shape becomes important.