See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
marg

US birding update in the California desert

57 posts in this topic

@@marg I'm just in awe of your photos, since like @@Tom Kellie and @@Kitsafari that there were such beautiful birds in California.

SUCCESS! My last observation of a successful sighting and fledge of a Red-tailed Hawk was seven years ago. For several years I spotted a nest in one of the palm trees behind a green. In my golf cart travels, and I go everywhere in my cart, I would look and wait. One year the nest was blown down in a strong wind. One year the ravens got into the nest and a juvenile hawk was found dead on the ground below the nest. Several months ago I spotted twigs and branches up in one of the palm trees. I watched and waited, worried after each big wind. An adult was seen on the nest and occasionally flying around. Then a head and then a juvenile sitting up in the nest. Two days ago I took these photos... in the nest, leaving the nest, unhappy with me and a Western Kingbird on a branch, flying away. While writing this my husband said that there was something floating in the pool. I just pulled out a little mockingbird. It came from a nest in the yard next door and must have been in flight training. With the ravens being such a menace, then to down. It is a shame and not easy becoming an adult bird here in the desert.

post-17651-0-83884600-1493492817_thumb.jpeg

post-17651-0-67900100-1493492872_thumb.jpeg

post-17651-0-83485400-1493492921_thumb.jpeg

post-17651-0-57522300-1493492964_thumb.jpeg

3 people like this

Lovely series!

Is there nothing one can do about crows and ravens? I must have seen several hundred in the last 24 hours.

an update and sad news. The bird in the last series of photos was an adult. Late last week I spotted this....

Then last weekend we had very strong winds. I checked Saturday afternoon and everything was okay. Monday morning when I went by most of the nest was gone and there were no signs of life in the tree. I did find a downey feather on the ground.

post-17651-0-61241400-1494611211_thumb.jpeg

@@Peter Connan...ravens are a real menace. This time of the year we see them being chased by smaller birds just trying to protect their nests.

Sorry to hear the sad news about the hawk nests @@marg

another first sighting.....Last Sunday I was in our back yard and spotted what I thought was a hawk being harassed by two ravens. Got the binos and found the "hawk" sitting on a chimney. But it was not a hawk. It was a Turkey Vulture. Went inside to grab a camera and could only get it in flight.

post-17651-0-20761000-1495216606_thumb.jpeg

post-17651-0-95340100-1495216644_thumb.jpeg

1 person likes this