Trip Report Self-Drive in Zambia & Zimbabwe 2012 - Kafue, South Luangwa & Mana Pools

cheetah80

Hello,

After all the information I have gleaned through the years from this forum I would like to repay the favor by sharing a trip report from our self-drive safari to Zambia and Zimbabwe in August/September 2012: covering Kafue, South Luangwa and Mana Pools. It is very long and has a lot of pictures - hope you enjoy it!

Unfortunately I am not able to post it directly to the forum as I need to share it in a couple more places too and I don't have time to post it individually everywhere.

But anyways, here is the link: http://www.alisonbuttigieg.com/zambia-zimbabwe-self-drive-2012/

Great report. Good reading and some lovely images. Some of the links for South Luangwa are not working.

Thank you Geoff! Especially for pointing out the problem with the links - they are now fixed.

Still reading. But just wanted to say; that photobombing puku just made me LOL.

I read through the whole thing in one go because it was so absorbing.

A bit disappointed by what you saw (or did not see) in Kafue. Based on your report and other reports, fast concluding that Kafue is not a good self-driving park, even with the roads and camps etc. Still think that the park has amazing stuff to offer, but you may need a great guide with good knowledge of the park to show you that. Pity about having to miss McBrides because of the bureaucratic problems because that took away the entire northern section & Busanga :(

I plan to put myself in the hands of Tyrone and Phil to come through on Kafue for me :)

Zikomo sounds very nice - good location and good sightings, but the night drives around Mfuwe and Flat Dogs do not sound appealing at all - even with the genets and leopards and what not.

You have captured Chitake beautifully - both in your photos and in your writing. I agree with you totally - Chitake is an audiovisual feast for the senses. The mopane forests near Vundu look as spectacular as I remember. A week in Mana is honestly equivalent to many weeks elsewhere.

A great report, Alison. I enjoyed it very much.

Edited by Sangeeta

Hi Sangeeta, glad you liked the report!

Kafue is indeed a place best experienced with a good guide - or else lots of time of very patient self-driving. But it is a park under pressure - not sure if it is bouncing back as I have never visited before but certainly it still has a long road ahead, especially in the south where the animals are particularly sparse and skittish. Of course the Busanga area is probably in a class of its own compared to the rest of the park - pity I missed it due to budget constraints. In the central parts between Mukambi and Lufupa the animals are more relaxed than in the south - except for the elephants, which are all angry. There is so much potential and I really hope it is harnessed as it could really be an outstanding destination - the main reason I visited was to contribute towards the park.

The night drives in South Luangwa were depressing - but I would imagine that when you stay far from Mfuwe it would not be that bad as the traffic will be much thinner. However I do hope they enforce the use of red light soon throughout the park.

I can not tell you enough how valuable your information is in deciding where to go and what to do. I know it is a lot of effort to put together such a detailed report, and as a previous poster mentioned, once you start reading it, you just cannot stop. Thank you again

Glad you found it useful xcrunch!

• 3 weeks later...

I have to agree with my countryman from Quebec: a wonderful and very thorough write-up. "Thank you" for your efforts. (Your friend doesn't take bad pictures neither!) :)

(I've sent you an email regarding something you mentioned in your TR)

Edited by Ed Grant

• 3 weeks later...

Great report! Makes me want to do another self-drive. Beautiful pictures and an exciting adventure. Thanks!