Eight Glorious days in the Mara- a new appreciation for a quintessential safari destination

AKR1

Super LEEDS

Awesome report and pics, AK. Was nice reliving those plains!

P.S. Please post a reply to Robert!! :D

• 3 weeks later...

You had some great cheetah activity and grabbed the shots! That one running with the wilde herd was fantastic. Only to page 1 so far.

The leopard-charging genes won't be passed down to future impala generations. What WAS that antelope thinking?

africapurohit

Thanks for the brilliant report with lots of useful information - many wonderful leopard images but my favourites have to be the cheetahs in the rain.

Finally caught up again with this (just another 20 trip reports to go!). Outstanding 8 days for you and I really like all the details here.

I left off with the harrowing tale of the lioness deciding to go cheetah hunting and her foiled attempt.

You had a bountiful trip. Your herds were all so big whether eles, buffalo, giraffe, etc. Those symmetrically bending giraffe are great. And the tree climbing lions!

I hope the call you placed to the rangers helped squelch the bad behavior. Though they can't do much about that male lion's boorish behavior of clumsily spraying his female companion who was following in his footsteps. More brawn than brains for this guy.

Can you comment on vehicle (actually behavior of the occupants) in the conservancies? Should be better controlled I would think than the park in general.

This is more Mara ammunition in that ongoing Mara - Serengeti War where sand is being kicked into faces and such.

We saw very few vehicles in February in the conservancies. Literally one over 5 days in the OMC, one at Naboisho and maybe five at MNC. The only sighting where we had other vehicles was the cheetahs in the rain at MNC and they all kept good distance from us and oddly left prior to the main event, the hunt.

In the park there were several vehicles a few times but most of the time we were alone. Only bad behavior was with the lion cubs which was outrageous, the guy with the ipad hanging out of the car near lions which was amusing, a crowd with the leopard Olive walking where everyone behaved well, and the lion vs cheetah where the other drivers quick thinking saved the cheetahs.

All in all no issues with bad behavior with the notable exception of the folks cutting off the lion cubs who were way too close.

Thanks for the additional info AKR1!

You haven't answered Robert. I want to know too.

Robert and I have been negotiating on his carrying my photographic equipment on my next safari. :rolleyes:

Have been skimming your thorough report and will need to go back and read carefully. I'm petty sure I'll be following your advice and footsteps. Thanks for sharing your experiences and all those useful details

• 4 months later...

Six months later, still very fond memories.

Here is an update from Lorna & Richard at Mara Plains/Mara Toto

http://www.greatplainsconservation.com/bushbuzz/?p=8601

Recent Lion, leopard & cheetah sightings in the Olare Motorogi conservancy (OMC)

OMC-Sightings-log-Aug-2013.png

Edited by AKR1

• 4 months later...

Reading this is getting me excited for my trip :)

You will almost definitely have a great safari. Matt. You are going to Kenya, the original home of the photographic safari with @@Safaridude, a combination that's very hard to beat. !

Edited by AKR1

@@AKR1 - fabulous and very well organized TR, backed by amazing photos, which also brought back some memories to me - we spent quality time in Mara, Ol Kinyei and Naboisho last summer and also drove through OOC and OMC. Masai Mara + the conservancies to the North are a great combination for exploring the Mara ecosystem.