Tanzania 2013 - A Photographic Trip Report

BonitaApplebum

BonitaApplebum

February, 2013. Travelled to Tanzania for the migration, calving, and everything else along the way. Trip was more or less evenly split between Ndutu and the Serengeti, with a stop at the Crater to split up the drive back to Arusha. 4 nights in Ndutu and 3 nights in the Serengeti, both at Exclusive Camps & Lodges Wilderness Camps. The one night at the Crater was at the Sopa lodge, a most drastic change of accommodation from the week prior.

As with the last trip report I did here (my trip to Kenya), I'll let the photos do most of the talking!

The Ndutu camp on my first evening.

8494363160_1739b5266f_c.jpg

Not a lot of great sunsets as rain clouds were typically rolling in. We had some incredible thunderstorms at night which I really enjoyed. The sunrises however, were brilliant.

8494378294_0ff421768e_c.jpg

We were fortunate to catch the migration in full force. i had witnessed it in the Mara a few years back but seeing them walk at the lake's edge as far as the eye could see was a different, more powerful experience for me.

8494371628_ecde5310d9_c.jpg

A wing'd predator.

8493266241_f8691a8ba4_c.jpg

Lots and lots of babies alongside lots of anxious moms.

8494374434_45d68ef4f7_c.jpg

Not a lot of elephants on this trip. Certainly nothing like my last trip to Tanzania which included a few nights in Tarangire. But a few beautiful examples were still present.

8493281913_0f05c98da3_c.jpg

Came across two cheetahs lounging under a tree and spent some time with them. Then, without so much as a look, they both popped up and decided to go looking for food.

8493291947_c436dfe2fc_c.jpg

They headed directly towards a herd of wildebeest, making no effort to conceal themselves. I didn't see any obvious targets (babies), and perhaps they didn't either as they just seemed content to harass the herd.

8493293499_ee7e73a83d_c.jpg

With no success, they continued towards the Serengeti and another herd of wildebeest. We couldn't follow any further.

8494395398_deed4dccf6_c.jpg

Brilliant, love the cheetah chasing through the herd. The sunset/sunrises have a beautiful delicate feel to them. Looking forward to more.

8494371628_ecde5310d9_c.jpg

I really like this picture, it really portrays the sense of a journey...

Yes, please carry on. Great start. I've only seen this on the iPhone at the moment but I can tell it's going to be good. Any trip featuring a cheetah at speed is a good trip!

Your tree theme was a great start. Trees don't get the photographic respect they deserve. You've captured their elegance. Along with the 4 legged inhabitants of the Serengeti.

BonitaApplebum

Atravelynn, I agree that trees in Africa are too often overlooked. I truly love the flat top acacia trees that surrounded us in Ndutu and the yellow barked acacia trees throughout the Serengeti. Great photo subjects. I was also struck by the sheer number of stars that were visible in camp at night. Living in the city, I simply never have the opportunity to take in such a sight. Here is the milky way shining above an acacia.

8494403030_30cccf8372_c.jpg

We were also very fortunate with leopards in Ndutu. Two different viewings in two days with leopards, both of which were in trees and later moved to the ground. The first was a young female.

8493296503_a98b6a9701_c.jpg

8494399050_dc718c46a2_c.jpg

Being high season, there were often a lot of trucks at most of the good sightings. I try to focus on the wildlife, but it can often be a distraction. Most mornings we would try out a route less travelled, risking not seeing anything but also hoping we might catch a sighting in relative peace. Often we went with little to no wildlife, but there was one significant exception.

8494429456_bbdcc7c94e_c.jpg

8493305591_dcb6776cf0_c.jpg

8494433132_f6755b7c41_c.jpg

Mating lions was something I hadn't even considered witnessing. This was truly a great surprise and we spent a couple hours with the couple, most of it all by ourselves. Really an awesome opportunity.

Our second leopard in Ndutu was another stunning cat. I don't know if any other animal can look as comfortable in a tree as a leopard.

8493336097_7591f36942_c.jpg

This one came down the tree in dramatic fashion, curling her body as she descended.

8494438768_b8365d1a23_c.jpg

And with that, on to the Serengeti.

Fabulous images!

Brilliant photos of short tail leopard. She lives near small marsh and has two cubs. Cheetah hunting, Masak lions mating, migration along lakeshore and fantastic night sky. Ndutu is very special. Many thanks for superb photographs.

P.S. Male lion mating is Mr. C. Look at scar on end of nose. Great. Very pleased to see him still so vigorous. Many thanks.

madaboutcheetah

Lovely, and I look forward to more as the serengeti trip is round the corner for me!!!

Very beautiful images. Would love to see more star shots if you took more.

I always love leopards in trees, going up and down and finally peacefully lying down. Very good images of all. Love the stars with the tree; and the cheetah amongst the wildies. Waiting for more! Thanks.....

BonitaApplebum

Thank you all for the kind words!

The Serengeti was full of surprises. You never know what to expect but I certainly wasn't anticipating tree climbing lions and lots of baby cats!

8493354219_20b0978047_c.jpg

All told, there were 5 lions up in this tree. I watched the one at the bottom here climb up in a manner that was anything but graceful.

8494440954_130fe54a97_c.jpg

8494444072_412634901a_c.jpg

To be honest, I'm not much of a birder. Tanzania, however, is just filled with beautiful birds and it wasn't until too late that I started to take more than a passing notice. Next time I'll definitely take more time to enjoy them.

8493359811_1048bb0094_c.jpg

Spent a couple hours laughing with these baboons. Just complete goofs.

8493361827_3306ffbcee_c.jpg

Being in the Serengeti, you're often at the mercy of animals and their willingness to move close to the roads. This girl was kind enough to head right towards us.

8494456100_801da8010e_c.jpg

It wasn't until she was very close that we noticed the little tails bobbing in the air behind her.

8494457942_e4425a174d_c.jpg

They paused just long enough for a few photos, and then continued on their way.

8493358621_fd548f56c9_c.jpg

Very young lion cubs was a big treat for me and I was already content with my time in the Serengeti. Leopard cubs? Well, that's just too much to ask for!

8493364927_bcfc29942f_c.jpg

Leopard cubs doing what leopard cubs do.

8494468902_837ab495cf_c.jpg

8494467302_33617b7f32_c.jpg

Spent one night at the Sopa lodge on the Crater rim. I loved being in the bush for the last 8 days, but I won't lie, a lodge was a comfortable break at this point.

8493370681_303d437e7e_c.jpg

Had some beautiful morning light in the Crater.

8493371705_025b0c644f_c.jpg

Enough with all the telephoto shots. How about a wide angle?

8494475702_e201ff759f_c.jpg

Overall I was really happy with this trip. The only significant hiccups had to do with coming and going, mostly due to the interesting management of Ethiopian Airlines. In the end, I got everywhere I needed to be along with my luggage so I can't complain too much. My first time to Ndutu, I think I'll have to make it a staple of any future visit to Tanzania's northern circuit.

Thanks for looking!

You've got some great sightings in this post: love the leopard cubs. You'd have expected to see the tree climbing lions in Lake Manyara. Some great use of different perspectives and focal lengths with the images :)

Leopard cubs! How lucky were you?!

Some stunning images. Lions in trees is always nice, especially when there are so many of them. A young cats .... money shot for sure!

You have mastered sleeping lions, even in trees. Even when sleeping you have caught interesting angles and expressions. You are right about babies everywhere. Even baby cats! How very fortunate!

Cracking images with a very interesting and entertaining report!

The young cats and cheetah action particularly stand out!

My, I have never seen lions in a tree, ant 5 at that! Where was this; we have to go! You mentioned Serengeti?

And the adorable leopard cubs. What superb shots.

Thanks, those pics were even appreciated by my husband, and planted the thought (that I am always thinking)~ we may have to go find them next year.

Lovely Photos, great sightings but not enough photos, there must be more to to share, please?

Loved the leopard cubs, how fortunate. And the tree climbing lions. And the others ...... :)

Beautiful pictures. I especially like the lions in the tree and the lion and leopard cubs. Thanks for sharing these.