See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Game Warden

Calvin Cottar, Cottar’s 1920’s Safari Camp. Kenya

27 posts in this topic

I agree @@johnkok. I am one of those ( and one in a majority here on ST) who abhors hunting and killing of wildlife for sport. It will always be my last refuge. However the threat to wilderness and wildlife has ceased to be hunting (if it ever was) and the economic opportunity cost of the land in this hungry rapidly growing world is the biggest threat. To that end, the line drawn in between hunting and photo tourism must be blurred so that the line can be clearer between saving the wilderness or giving it up to farming, wind power projects, industrial activities etc. If this is done in a way where hunting is an option, but kept as a last resort option, I think its only fair to be open to the ideas Calvin has spoken about in this thread.

2 people like this

What an interesting and thought-provoking interview.

I'm in the early stages of my safari addiction, mowing through books and articles about Africa. I recently finished "White Hunters" by Brian Herne, where I first learned some of the Cottar history. So, as soon as I saw this thread title, I knew I needed to read.

This conversation marks another point in my continuing education about the political/economic elements of conservation.

Growing up in Alabama, I'm used to a culture of hunting, though it was never an interest for me. I've happily eaten venison freshly taken by a friend. I fished often through my adolescence, and we threw back or ate what we caught.

However, I was reflexively appaled by the idea of someone wanting to kill an elephant, lion, or leopard. Perhaps because of their inherent beauty--perhaps because I've never had to live in contact with them long enough to see them as a nuisance/threat.

The more I've read on this site, the more I'm evolving into a pragmatist on hunting. I'm also coming to believe that wildlife management decisions should be made by the people who live daily with the wildlife. If some hunting is what will create the best chance at wildlife conservation, then it should be part of the equation.

Thanks to GW, Mr. Cottar, and others who chimed in with questions. This website is such a great resource, and I appreciate the opportunity to keep learning more about Africa and conservation.