Kruger National Park - Self Drive

Riaanf31

Hi All,

As somebody who loves a good safari, I would like to share how we do a Kruger Safari when planning to visit this magnificent park.

We're not from the Johannesburg/Pretoria area of South Africa, but rather from Cape Town.

For the sake of argument I'll place Kruger safari's in two boxes. The self drive option versus the tailored or packaged option.

But before I go there please see below a few links to core information that could assist with planning a trip:

a) Travel information from airports to gates and camps: http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/get_there/distances.php

b ) Gate/camp opening and closing times: http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/get_there/gates.php

c) Camp Availability: http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/tourism/availability.php

d)Travel times between the camps: http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/get_there/KNP_distances_beween_camps.pdf

Time and money is at the heart of the key factors when most people decide on how and when to plan any holiday.

What we try to do:

1.Book overnight flights from London Heathrow to OR Tambo Airport in Johannesburg

2.Pick up rental car and head straight out to Kruger National Park

3.Stop en route for a breakfast about 2 hours in to the drive and refill with fuel

4.Stop for food and other provisions in Nelspruit (usually the Riverside Mall) This mall has two choices of big grocery shops. Pick n Pay or Checkers, For those in the UK think Sainsbury's or Tesco.

5. Drive to Paul Kruger, Numbi or Malelane Gate depending on which camp we have booked for our first night.

There are a few things we've learnt through the years. to ensure that firstly we can book the camps that we enjoy.

a) Firstly is to book directly with SanParks (South African National Parks). This ensures that we can book the camps that we like.You can book accommodation over the phone and also a month more in advance than if you did it online. No payment is necessary when making the booking, you can also make as many changes as you like until you make payment.

b ) Lower Sabie camp is the hardest to find accommodation with if you don't book early.

c) Plan your food lists and also extras you'll need (this will depend on what accommodation you book as some have all the crockery and cutlery)

d) The camps in the South of the park have the best facilities all have petrol stations, all have shops with most basics (prices a bit more than Nelspruit), but don;t rely on fresh vegetables; Skukuza is the only one with a reliable bank facility to withdraw cash.

e) Gas Skottles (dish to cook breakfast on) is available for rent at all picnic spots. On last count this was circa R20 or less than £1.60

It would fantastic to hear from other members on how they plan or mange similar trips.

Edited by Riaanf31

Hi,

I think our planning pretty much mirrored yours. Here is a link to my trip report:

http://safaritalk.net/topic/6038-jos-cape-to-kruger-safari/?hl=%2Bcape+%2Bkruger

I would like to do Kruger this way again, but unfortunately my dad wasn't that impressed with Kruger so not sure if she'd be up for a return trip. I would love to go back in August or sept this year if I can manage it, to combine with some whale watching and diving in Mozambique.

Hi kittykat,

I've had a quick look at your trip report and it very well done. What specifically was it that didn't impress your old man?

Your eye for birds clearly comes through in your report. I would suggest you visit the north of Kruger with a trip to Punda Maria and Pafuri picnic spot. There is a local guide who will show you many birds whilst you stretch your legs.

If you do head to Kruger in Aug/Sept it isn't as hot as in Nov/Dec, but you do lose out on a few of the migratory bird species that travel South for the SA summer. Summer can be a bit toasty, but nothing that a dip in the camp pool and cold drink can't sort out.

Hi,

Her only previous experience of a safari was Kenya, where the animals are everywhere and easy to see. In contrast, the area between phalaborwa and letaba was not particularly game rich, which is where we entered the park. Also, I think she preferred not to be the one driving.

So as promised I’ve raided the planning list for our last trip.

We planned our trip food around 3 meals, breakfast, lunch and then dinner. The only difference is that our breakfast wasn't breakfast and lunch was more like brunch and our dinner was just a lavish BBQ under the African sky.

Breakfast:

We both packed our tin 500ml coffee flasks. This is to house the coffee that would awaken us at the 5am or earlier gate departure time, but also double up as a warm drink to for the stomach. Breakfast was is a very light meal of Ouma Rusk’s (a hard baked SA favourite) consumed along with the warm coffee.

Lunch:

We would drive around at a snail’s pace until about 10am or 11am and then stop at one of the many picnic spots within Kruger. My personal favourite is Afsaal. Once there we’d hire one of the aforementioned Gas Skottles and then proceed to cook up a storm. Each morning we’d have either cheese grillers sausages or Vienna’s, bacon, grilled onion , mushroom and tomato mix. Topped off with scrambled eggs and toast. A hearty feast that takes very time to prepare and cook. This all whilst listening to the drum of wildlife all around you. At Afsaal they sell an assortment of pancakes and other foods so you can have that too. At the main camps you can always eat at the restaurants if cooking your own meal isn't to your fancy. Skukuza can get very busy but they do have big selection and Lower Sabie has got an amazing view from the restaurant deck which overlooks the Sabie river.

Dinner:

Well this is the tricky one. I say that because meat preservation needs to be taken in to account. As meat lovers we’d buy the following for a 6 night stay. 3 packs of boerewors, 2 packs of chicken, steaks ,2 packs of lamb chops and also ribs. Not forgetting a small pack of lamb and beef/chicken skewers (sosaties).

Night 1:chicken with lamb chops, green salad & potato salad.

Night 2: Steaks, boerewors, green salad & Corn on the cob.

Night 3: Chicken, lamb chops, corn & baked potato.

Night 4: Ribs, potato salad and corn on the cob.

Night 5: Lamb chops, tato’s, skewers

Night 6: All the food should now either be fit for the dogs or have been consumed. Time to head to the camp restaurant (hopefully Salati in Skukuza) for one last relaxed meal.

We try and take along one or two small plastic containers so that any leftover foods can be packed away in the fridge for use the next day or for consumption in the car whilst on a drive.

Another thing that we rather enjoy is a juicy type drink in the warm weather. We buy a fruit juice mix along with one small and one larger water bottle. Once mixed we place these bottles in the freezer overnight. As we head the car for our morning camp departure we wrap the water bottles in small towels to stop them defrosting to soon. Once the sun makes the road shimmer, the small water bottle has got sufficient melted juice within it to quench the thirst. The bigger juice bottle soon comes in to play as the African sun bakes away. We also pack a few tins of coke, sprite or similar in the mini cooler-box.

More to follow later…….

Riaan, as a fellow meat lover can I recommend that you try Oom Kallie's Slaghuis in Hazyview if you need to replenish supplies or shop there instead of the mall. He does superb biltong and wors, as well as all the rest.

Oom Kallies is located in the very small cluster of shops at the first four-way stop on the Kruger side of Hazyview. There's a guy on the corner selling nice metal warthogs and other curios.

If you drive via Hazyview you can enter the park via Phabeni - we find it's a nice drive via the hills between white river and Hazyview than through the townships to Numbi.

Also, the Checkers in Hazyview (near the Perry's Bridge Centre, not in the Blue Haze Mall) is the best local supermarket in Hazyview. My wife and I have a place at sabiepark and we do all our shopping there.

Also, have you tried the food at the Skukuza Golf Club for breakfast or lunch? It's far superior to any of the stuff in the rest camp restaurants and cafes.

cheers

Tony

Edited by tonypark

Tony,

Top tip about a local shops and trusted butcher. Also for mentioning Phabeni gate which I'd not done.

The Skukuza GC does feature in our visits. It goes hand in hand with a visit to Lake Panic. My star spot from the GC restaurant is a Purple Roller.

We'll be visiting in Dec so these tips are most welcome.

Interesting note about the golf club too. Anyone else eaten there? (Or played 9 holes?)

Some info about the Golf Course.

• It's a 9 Hole (18 tee) Golf Course.
  • It's unfensed and close to Skukuza Camp which is the biggest camp in Kruger.
  • You pass Lake Panic when driving from Skukuza to the golf course. A must visit for any nature lover.
  • Last I checked there was a resident Leopard in the area. Loads of bird activity. Hippo's, Crocs etc.
  • The golf course dining area is perfect for having a quiet meal if the Skukuza crowds are too much for you. Whilst not restaurant service, the food is decent and you get to look out over the 1st and 9th holes whilst having the sun on your back.

I've heard it a good thing, not to play golf very early or very late in the day due to the residing leopard.

And never retrieve your sliced or hooked ball from out of bounds... and be careful in the rough too :)

I'd not be sticking my hand into any water hazard to retrieve a ball. Not unless I'm keen to lose a view fingers to the crocs that are about.

Rumor has it that two golfers have met their maker in the last 2 years by either playing alone in the morning or at late afternoon. I'd be very keen on hiring a golf cart for superficial comfort.......

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I think our planning pretty much mirrored yours. Here is a link to my trip report:

http://safaritalk.net/topic/6038-jos-cape-to-kruger-safari/?hl=%2Bcape+%2Bkruger

I would like to do Kruger this way again, but unfortunately my dad wasn't that impressed with Kruger so not sure if she'd be up for a return trip. I would love to go back in August or sept this year if I can manage it, to combine with some whale watching and diving in Mozambique.

Hi Kittykat. We wanted to combine the Kruger and Moz too and eventually did so last year, as mentioned in my beloved Kruger report.

We did a huge amount of investigating to work out how to do it. My girlfriend and I prefer to do things on our own if possible for that extra freedom. Which is fine obviously for the Kruger, but trickier to then combine with Moz. I looked into hiring a 4x4 in SA and taking it over the border (4x4 needed apparently for the roads to Moz through the Kruger) but that would have made the whole trip too costly. Likewise hiring a 4x4 vehicle in Moz is v expensive.

I then looked into flying to Moz from SA (v expensive) and even direct to Maputo and out of Jo'burg. I literally spent hours upon hrs looking at different permutations and in the end decided against doing self drive in Moz, partly by the cost, and partly by web reports of the state of the roads and police hassle and so after much deliberation we decided to do our own self drive Kruger trip for a few days and then do a separate tour of Moz from and back to Jo'burg for 12 days with a great little Pretoria based company that we found on the tinternet.

When in Moz we did meet a small group of people who had driven through the Kruger into Moz and said the roads were actually not dreadful, so maybe that is a goer, but you would need to have a few of you to spread the 4x4 cost amongst (or have deeper pockets). But, we had a great time with no hassle the way we did it and got to see all that we had wanted to, including swimming with whale sharks, diving and snorkelling etc.

Incidentally, the roads in Moz were actually not too bad, the main south north road was fine for a 2 wheel drive and even the perpendicular roads off to the coast although bad, were ok too. So another option would be to fly to Maputo and hire a regular car there.

Edited by Eagle Owl

kittykat23uk

Hi Eagle owl, thanks for this insight. The issue i have is that i have no one to go with and don't feel confident self driving alone.. So Last time I did this I booked viva safaris from Johannesburg, stayed at Tremisana lodge in balule game reserve and did days trips into Kruger. The great thing was road transfers were included from Johannesburg so the price was very reasonable for a short safari. The downside was not getting into kruger until mid morning. then they dropped me at a hotel and I flew Johannesburg to Inhambane the next day. I booked Tofo diving and whale shark safari via shark ray ally, that included the flights, transfers, accommodation on self catering basis and a diving package.

Ideally I would like to hook up with another person and that way self drive within Kruger staying in the public camps obviously contributing to fuel, food and accommodation. Preferably going from and returning to Johannesburg, but could also get an internal flight closer to Kruger, though these seem really expensive.

not directed to anyone in particular but next saturday I'm off to Botswana and South Africa, four weeks in the Tuli Block, in KTP, in Mokala and in KNP. My wife and my daughter will only be able to join for me for the two middle weeks, for Kruger (six nights) I do have space and accomodation to "share"...I know this comes with extremely short notice but if anyone is interested, feel free to PM me

kittykat23uk

That's a kind offer Ice, if it were later in the year I may well have taken you up on that. Unfortunately needs to be August or September to fit in with my Moz plans - that's when the whales are there. (assuming that happens of course).

no worries, I knew it was on short notice

Hi,

We will be in Kruger in 2 weeks time, can't wait!

A quick question for our Kruger experts - We will be staying at Bateleur for 2 nights. Would you recommend a picnic site somewhere in that area to stop for a cooked breakfast on one of the mornings? We will have all the equipment with us, so don't necessarily need skottel etc.

We will be starting in Berg en Dal, then Satara and then Bateleur. Any other tips and advise very welcome.

make sure to book guided morning, sunset or night drives and (if you're up to it) perhaps even a guided walk - they are darn cheap and great fun

Hi Kavita,

My countdown is for many days yet, until we visit Kruger next (Dec 2013). That drive from Berg n Dal to Satara is a long one, approx 165km or 6h35min according to the Sanparks website. I’d think if you see a few things it’ll take a bit longer. But one that still has a lot to offer.

Hopefully Tshokwane is in good repair as it's a good half way point for a relaxed stop. Just have an eye open for the monkeys that have been known to pinch a morsel or two from an unwatched plate. If you fancy a breakfast wrap then you might be tempted to rub shoulders with the masses at the Skukuza tourist trap. But it does go down a treat.

When driving from Satara to Bateleur I would suggest stopping at Letaba for a nibble and leg stretch. Not only does the restaurant overlook the Letaba river, but there is a decent shop to stock up on anything that you couldn’t get or forgot to purchase when at Satara. You can also refill on fuel. The best part is the Elephant Museum which is a must see.

Babalala picnic spot which is just North of Shingwedzi on the main road is a firm favourite. The setting is very simple, yet effective with a big tree in the middle of pic nic spot and open grasslands around. But it migiht be a bit out of the way depending on the routes you decide to drive.

You can normally only check in at about 2pm, so there is need to rush between camps.

I would second Ice that you should look at doing an activity or two. Satara is a place we tend to do a night drive with Civet, Genet and other animals often spotted. It’s a good way to spend 2hours in the dark searching for the elusive cats and other creatures. On our last visit we were very fortunate to see a Serval. Satara is Lion country so let’s hope you see plenty of them and also the Majestic and secretive Leopard.

Above all I’m jealous and I’d say just enjoy the moment. I’m sure you’ll have a fantastic trip.

I'm not sure the SANParks calculation should be used as a reference: 6:35 h for a 165 km, that's an average of about 25 km/h, half of what you are allowed on tar roads...personally, I'd do my morning drive in BED, return to camp shortly before check out time and then slowly move north, with possible stops at Afsaal, Skukuza or Tshokwane; that would give you plenty of time to reach Satara before gates close

another alternative is to check out at BED when gates open, thus having even more time to drive to Satara

off topic: anybody know how Satara got its name?

Here is a link with all the gate and camp opening and closing times. http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/get_there/gates.php

The best thing you could do to plan your drives is to pick up a map book (A4 in size) with all the roads, rest camps and picnic spots clearly marked on them. I’m unsure of the current prize, but I’d be surprised if it costs more than R100. Study it a little and also ask the Game Rangers around camp or on drive and walks for suggested driving routes. Our R40 copy from 2008 is help together by sticky tape, but still does the trick.

Ice does touch on a good point. We don’t tend to drive at 25km/h, but it does take that on average to complete the journey, provided that you don’t get stuck behind to many Elephant or Lion road blocks. Windows down and radio and music off does also bring the sounds of the bush in to the car. Often we’d here a few interesting things, like the call of a fish eagle in the distance to warm he heart.

Try out the different driving options. Either awake real early, pack up all things and then start the journey to Satara or do the ICE option. My preference is to head out and keep going. Stop at Afsaal for a toilette break or to look for the resident Scops Owl or continue along your merry way. I do prefer a nice relaxing unpacking and also swim in the camp pool, before a last short drive of the day.

Choose the option that bests suits you. I’m sure not everybody wants to awake at 5am like me and walk along the fence before the camp awakes.

@@ice, the name Satara comes from the Hindi word Satra.

An old Indian surveyor gave this name Satra, to the area in the early 1900's ,he was surveying this area to proclaim it for the old Tranvaal Republic.

Edited by A&M

hey A&M, you as a local should not have answered; ;-) I knew the answer as well, my question was meant as a "competition" ;-)

Game Warden

Okay, so other than @@ice and @@A&M, how did the name of the camp Punda Maria come about?

@@ice ,sorrrrrryyyyyy did not know it was a competition??