See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Discounted rates for locals - is it fair?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,486 posts
  • Local time: 11:06 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 27 October 2015 - 03:47 PM

It seems that most the countries are turning to the high rate fee model that Botswana used to have. Not exactly good timing, when less people are going on safari overall. These countries are cutting out a significant number of foreigners that travel on a lower budget.

~ @luangwablondes

Thank you for telling this. I wasn't aware that it was a trend.

I've heretofore prepaid all safaris in a package price, without ever asking for a breakdown, thus wasn't aware of the daily rates charged to international visitors.

If there are less safari tourists, the increased rates won't be attractive to uncertain would-be safari visitors.

Tom K.

#62 Bushfire

Bushfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Local time: 04:06 PM
  • Category 2:Ecologist

Posted 27 October 2015 - 08:10 PM

Reduced price or not: most (overnight) lodge safaris are still to expensive for most people, foreigner or not.

I don't think that a safari business model that only focusses on the reduced rates of lodges for locals is the way to go in terms of assuring locals access to their natural wonders.

The concept of a lodge safari is just  to expensive.

~ @Bushfire

Thank you for expressing your viewpoint about lodge-based safaris.

I hadn't realized that lodge safari rates were a prohibitive factor.

My experience in Kenya was that lodge accommodations were moderately priced, if one was selective.

I'm truly sorry to learn that the lodges may not seem affordably priced.

Tom K.

People won't protect their natural wonders if they don't learn to appreciate them.

You do the math: about 18 million children in south africa alone.... no way that lodges alone can reach such an audience.

I find it a pity, when reading posts about kruger, masai mara, big-ass camps, vehicle congestions etc... that a lot of people react quite contemptuous when in fact this large scale safari concept (overnight or day trips) probably  is the only option together with zoo's for most local people to learn to appreciate their indigenous nature.

Most lodge safari's are 1 to expensive for most locals and 2 bed capacity is just to small so most locals can visit.

Edited by Bushfire, 27 October 2015 - 08:11 PM.

• pault, KaingU Lodge and Tom Kellie like this

#63 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,486 posts
  • Category 2:---

Posted 27 October 2015 - 08:30 PM

~ @Bushfire

Thank you for forcefully expressing your perspective.

I needed that.

My natural complacency benefits from a swift kick in the patootie.

Your points are meaningful. I'm so glad that you wrote them as you did.

Tom K.

#64 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,161 posts
  • Local time: 03:06 PM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 28 October 2015 - 01:25 PM

@Bushfire - I don't think it's a fair comparison of Kruger to the Mara.  For example., there are a lot of self-drives in the Kruger that are local South African.  I'm not too sure that's the case in the Mara or that local Kenyan's book the huge hotels or book the mini-bus safaris originating in Nairobi. If so, the percentage will be very very small.

Edited by madaboutcheetah, 28 October 2015 - 01:26 PM.

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#65 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts
  • Local time: 01:06 AM
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 29 October 2015 - 03:27 AM

1 I take it that locals are Kenyan born and residents are those who have approval to live in the country longterm

2 some places like Lewa and Ol Pejeta conservancy have scheme to bring in school children in small busses for game drives and environmental education.  There are also trips organized by the wildlife clubs of Kenya

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#66 ZaminOz

ZaminOz

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,988 posts
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 29 October 2015 - 03:38 AM

The Bushcamp Company in South Luangwa have this initiative where once a year for a couple of days (in the dry season) they host school children from the school that the sponsor in Mfuwe village and put them in as guests filling up all of their bush camps. They take them on game drives, as well as show them the technical aspects of all the jobs in a bush camp from guide to chef to waiter. I assume that they are still running this? I think that it is a great initiative. It won't reach lots of people, but it directly targets those who live in close proximity with wildlife.

• madaboutcheetah and pault like this
Warning, if any safari camps wish to employ me as a guide, I expect a salary far, far, more commensurate than my actual experience!

#67 LastChanceSafaris

LastChanceSafaris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Local time: 05:06 PM
  • Category 1:Tour Operator
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 29 October 2015 - 07:45 AM

Interesting about the reduced SADC rate making it 'affordable' for wealthy SA businessman to travel to the best Botswana safari destinations..... 

In my general experience of trying to book SA citizens into the top camps in Bots, I have not managed to get a reduced rate (this may be a factor of high season demand) - the regular STO/Rack rates still applied!

I am all for local discounted rates, but by local I really mean local. One doesn't expect the operator/owner to make a loss, but, economically, a break-even rate should be offset by both the marketing and social responsibility benefits to be had from such a practice.

Now here is a thought....well actually an observation.

A lodge I am intimately involved with in Chobe, Botswana tries hard to attract Batswana in the quieter seasons and does offer a much reduced rate. When the city folk arrive from Gaborone the first thing they ask is where is the TV and why isn't there wi-fi in the rooms. So the expectations are really different. They may do one game drive and one boat (booze) cruise, but would rather enjoy a resort type (pool, spa etc.) experience as opposed to a bush experience. Over public holidays and school breaks, one resort type hotel in Chobe gets a LOT of local business. However, as I am reliably told, they make use of all the resort facilities and, and may do one excursion into their National Park.

Irrespective of this observation, differential rates are a good thing. As a Motswana I personally do enjoy (and wouldn't otherwise without the discounts) visiting both local and regional parks and facilities. And for those discounts I love to promote all Botswana's parks, Hwange, Kruger, Mana Pools, Matopos etc. 

• madaboutcheetah, pault and Peter Connan like this

Last Chance Safaris

www.lastchancesafaris.com

@lastchancesaf

reservations@lastchancesafaris.com

EXPERIENCE ~ AWARENESS ~ CONSERVATION

#68 KaingU Lodge

KaingU Lodge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Local time: 06:06 PM
  • Category 1:Lodge Owner/Manager
  • Category 2:Lodge Owner/Manager

Posted 29 October 2015 - 08:14 AM

The Bushcamp Company in South Luangwa have this initiative where once a year for a couple of days (in the dry season) they host school children from the school that the sponsor in Mfuwe village and put them in as guests filling up all of their bush camps. They take them on game drives, as well as show them the technical aspects of all the jobs in a bush camp from guide to chef to waiter. I assume that they are still running this? I think that it is a great initiative. It won't reach lots of people, but it directly targets those who live in close proximity with wildlife.

Wilderness Safaris do a very similar thing with their 'Children in the Wilderness' project.  

• ZaminOz likes this

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.