See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Discounted rates for locals - is it fair?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 PT123

PT123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts
  • Local time: 11:15 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

In my opinion discounted rates are partially intended to make reserves/parks more affordable to the people that live in the country (and are in a different socio-economic strata from the people that can afford to travel from far and wide to visit).  I travel from the US and have to scrimp and save to get there and pay for lodges, fees, etc.  Presumably I (and many others that travel from Europe, US, Asia, middle east and Australia) have higher levels of disposable income than people living in east or southern Africa.  I have no problem what so ever paying more to in effect help subsidize the accessibility of parks for local residents.  To hear people from the "first world" (US, Canada, Europe, far east, etc.) state that they are being somehow being treated unfairly because pricing is staggered seems quite callous and self centered. 

• KaingU Lodge and offshorebirder like this

#42 kittykat23uk

kittykat23uk

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 4,576 posts
  • Local time: 04:15 PM
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:10 PM

But I have to question whether we do, in fact have a higher level of disposable income to those people who live in those countries and who choose to safari there. Because certainly in southern Africa and India, the people I see who are local and who are staying in the same lodges as myself, seem to be of the same or higher socio-economic strata than myself. I don't get the impression that even the discounted rates allow the really local, poorer members of those societies to enjoy their own parks. Nor do I think that these groups of disadvantaged folk have the time to spare to enjoy their parks as they are too busy making ends meet.
  • russell, PT123 and Ed Grant like this
If an experience is amazing enough to be "once in a lifetime," I want to do it every year.
Alex: "Whoa! Hold up there a second, fuzzbucket. You mean like, uh, the live in a mud hut wipe yourself with a leaf type wild?"
King Julian: “Who wipes?”

#43 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,161 posts
  • Local time: 03:15 PM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:46 AM

And Beyond India, is offering a pay 2, stay 3 offer for Indian citizens right now ..... Still pretty steep their price point 

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#44 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,465 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:17 PM

Having seen a couple of posts recently relating to SADC and resident discounts, what do you feel the market is doing at the moment in terms of encouraging those perhaps wavering between booking a safari and some other experiential holiday, or leaving it till "last minute" to book? Should there be greater discounts on a sliding scale based on occupancy, the need to get bums on seats as it were, to enourage last minute clients? Should there be more discounts for overseas travellers rather than SADC resident discounts?

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#45 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,465 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:24 PM

If you are an operator/agent or represent a property please feel welcome to add your views...

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#46 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,161 posts
  • Local time: 03:15 PM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 07 October 2015 - 04:08 AM

GW, I think in East Africa they offer really good rates/specials even for overseas guests (atleast compared to normal rates).

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#47 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts
  • Local time: 01:15 AM
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 07 October 2015 - 05:05 AM

It would be appreciated if the rates overall were lower

this is not likely to happen, so I think it is desireable  to give residents' discounts  as having places priced so none of the local people could stay there would be unjust, a very bad look

Kenya is nearly always priced in USD and often  priced up with the most elaborate offerings  that rules it out for sth Africans except the very highest paid

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 07 October 2015 - 05:12 AM.

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#48 Bugs

Bugs

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,503 posts
  • Local time: 05:15 PM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 07 October 2015 - 05:06 AM

We just sit around and wait for special deals. Like Groupon etc. - thats the only way we managed to afford Madikwe, the Queen Mary etc. The result of this is that we are leaving our trip planning to the very last minute. When I see people planning for 2016 already, I smile. 

Many safari destinations simply cannot afford to offer deals suitable to South Africans, as even if they drop below their cost, its too expensive. 

There's none so blind as those who will not see.

#49 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:14 AM

the residents rates are still expensive

looking at online  chili and peacock Kenya offerings  on 7 camps  only  1 oct to 20 dec 2014  were between KSH 11,500 and KSH 24.500 per person per day

the current conversion is about 103 to 1 USD

add on reserve fees of USD 105 per person per day for Lewa , for other areas I am not sure but they are not cheap

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#50 TheKenyanCamper

TheKenyanCamper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Local time: 06:15 PM
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:Writer

Posted 07 October 2015 - 12:00 PM

I happen to be one of the 'locals' (Kenya based) being mentioned here and can I say I am quite surprised to see the opinions leaning toward supporting lower rates for local tourists. I agree with the reasons given here so I won't add on to them.

However I do disagree with some of the crazy prices I see foreign tourists being charged, it's enough to make me wince sometimes. Even though there is a disparity, charging someone 2 or 3 times the rate simply because they are not rersident in a county is ridiculous.

You have a camp or lodge, you know what it costs for every visitor you have, then you have your mark up. So now you have 2 choices, try to fill empty beds in order to turn a profit at the end of the year, or have empty beds and try to squeeze every last dollar from the few guests you have. Unfortunately i think most operate on the latter basis.

Edited by TheKenyanCamper, 07 October 2015 - 12:02 PM.

• ZaminOz, RichB and Tom Kellie like this

#51 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,465 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 12:06 PM

@TheKenyanCamper What suprises you? In a good or bad way?

#52 TheKenyanCamper

TheKenyanCamper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Local time: 06:15 PM
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:Writer

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:41 PM

@TheKenyanCamper What suprises you? In a good or bad way?

I should have said pleasant surprise. Im happy that it has so much support.

• Game Warden likes this

#53 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 06:43 AM

who needs high level lux ? 

if places did not have silly things like a personal butler service , and massive cabins/ tents they would not be so expensive to build and operate in the first place

#54 ellenhighwater

ellenhighwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Local time: 07:15 AM
  • Category 1:Safari Guide
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 08 October 2015 - 02:33 PM

While I agree that the intention of discounted rates for locals is generally a good thing and helps to enable locals to enjoy their environment, which is hugely important, this has been taken the the extreme in Ethiopia.  Parks there are moderately priced to begin with and I didn't mind a bit paying their slightly higher fees, but I was paying 4-10x the price of locals for hotel rooms.  Ethiopia is just now starting to become a tourist destination and hotel owners there are basically trying to figure out how much to charge for things, seeing what will stick.  It's a gorgeous, diverse country which is easy to love, but this practice seemed rooted more in greed than towards the advancement of the region.  I worry it creates a huge economic inequality amongst locals which can be disastrous for any hope of raising the entire nation out of poverty.  At the least it leaves a rather bitter taste in your mouth.

• Tom Kellie likes this

#55 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,486 posts
  • Local time: 11:15 PM

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:03 AM

While I agree that the intention of discounted rates for locals is generally a good thing and helps to enable locals to enjoy their environment, which is hugely important, this has been taken the the extreme in Ethiopia.  Parks there are moderately priced to begin with and I didn't mind a bit paying their slightly higher fees, but I was paying 4-10x the price of locals for hotel rooms.  Ethiopia is just now starting to become a tourist destination and hotel owners there are basically trying to figure out how much to charge for things, seeing what will stick.  It's a gorgeous, diverse country which is easy to love, but this practice seemed rooted more in greed than towards the advancement of the region.  I worry it creates a huge economic inequality amongst locals which can be disastrous for any hope of raising the entire nation out of poverty.  At the least it leaves a rather bitter taste in your mouth.

~ @ellenhighwater

You've confirmed what I've heard from a recent Ethiopia visitor.

I'm sorry to know that grossly inflated prices were also your experience.

It would also have left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Tom K.

#56 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts
  • Local time: 07:15 AM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:02 AM

I noticed on my recent visit to Meru National Park in Kenya, that there is a three tier system for locals, residents and foreigners. There was also a van full of school kids coming from Meru town to visit the park which I thought was wonderful.

Locals would never have the opportunity to visit their National Parks without this pricing scheme. In the future it will also encourage Africa's middle class which is growing in both numbers and affluence to visit the National Parks.

We all have to consider that by paying more for the park fees we are paying for the upkeep and anti poaching efforts in all the National Parks. What could be more important to all of us?
  • ZaminOz, PT123 and armchair bushman like this

#57 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,486 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 12:54 AM

I noticed on my recent visit to Meru National Park in Kenya, that there is a three tier system for locals, residents and foreigners. There was also a van full of school kids coming from Meru town to visit the park which I thought was wonderful.

Locals would never have the opportunity to visit their National Parks without this pricing scheme. In the future it will also encourage Africa's middle class which is growing in both numbers and affluence to visit the National Parks.

We all have to consider that by paying more for the park fees we are paying for the upkeep and anti poaching efforts in all the National Parks. What could be more important to all of us?

~ @optig

Does that mean that residents from other areas in Kenya are charged at a different rate from those living in the greater Meru County area?

Are school groups charged? When I visited Meru National Park in July, a large schoolbus was parked outside of the Murera Gate as the staff talked with the park entrance personnel.

I'm very glad that you visited Meru, which is such a lovely location.

Tom K.

#58 Bushfire

Bushfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Category 2:Ecologist

Posted 27 October 2015 - 12:35 PM

Reduced price or not: most (overnight) lodge safaris are still to expensive for most people, foreigner or not.

I don't think that a safari business model that only focusses on the reduced rates of lodges for locals is the way to go in terms of assuring locals access to their natural wonders. Definitely the local rates that the big players offer. The concept of a lodge safari is just  to expensive for most people.

Edited by Bushfire, 27 October 2015 - 12:41 PM.

#59 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,486 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 12:40 PM

Reduced price or not: most (overnight) lodge safaris are still to expensive for most people, foreigner or not.

I don't think that a safari business model that only focusses on the reduced rates of lodges for locals is the way to go in terms of assuring locals access to their natural wonders.

The concept of a lodge safari is just  to expensive.

~ @Bushfire

Thank you for expressing your viewpoint about lodge-based safaris.

I hadn't realized that lodge safari rates were a prohibitive factor.

My experience in Kenya was that lodge accommodations were moderately priced, if one was selective.

I'm truly sorry to learn that the lodges may not seem affordably priced.

Tom K.

#60 luangwablondes

luangwablondes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Local time: 05:15 PM
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 27 October 2015 - 03:39 PM

It seems that most the countries are turning to the high rate fee model that Botswana used to have. Not exactly good timing, when less people are going on safari overall. These countries are cutting out a significant number of foreigners that travel on a lower budget.

• ZaminOz likes this

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.