See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Show us your zebras...

photography zebra

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#21 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,087 posts
  • Local time: 08:15 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:29 PM

Safaridude,

It worked! You not seeing your uploads?  Lovely images.....

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#22 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,421 posts
  • Local time: 09:15 AM
  • Category 2:---

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

Wow, that lion (?) attack survivor was lucky: nasty looking wound. I wonder if it was later predated with such a visible injury.

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#23 Safaridude

Safaridude

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
  • Local time: 04:15 AM

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

Safaridude,

It worked! You not seeing your uploads?  Lovely images.....

Thanks.  A minor glitch fixed.

#24 Safaridude

Safaridude

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:39 PM

Wow, that lion (?) attack survivor was lucky: nasty looking wound. I wonder if it was later predated with such a visible injury.

I would agree that it was a lion attack.  It was moving very gingerly.  Probably had hours, not days, left.  It's rough out there.

#25 Panthera Pardus

Panthera Pardus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Local time: 10:15 AM
  • Category 1:Born in Africa

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:23 PM

The Cape Mountain Zebra (CMZ) – Equus zebra zebra.

The CMZ is a sub species of the Mountain Zebra. The other sub species is the Haartman’s Zebra (Equus zebra haartmanae). Haartmans’s Zebra is found in Angola and Namibia. The CMZ was near extinct with only about 80 animals left when the Mountain Zebra National Park (MZNP) in South Africa was proclaimed  in 1937 to protect this animal. Toady there are about 3000 CMZ, some of them relocated to other Parks where they occurred historically.

The stripes can be either black or dark brown and white. Their stripes cover their whole bodies except for their bellies. The mountain zebra also has a dewlap.

IMG_9741_zpsf8de706e.jpg

IMG_9758_zpsd3cabda7.jpg

IMG_9794_zps3691251b.jpg

The Plains Zebra or Burchells Zebra - Equus burchelli.

This species has a large range from Northern Kenya right down to the Southern Cape in South Africa. There are colour variations with location. The Plains Zebra in Northern Kenya are distinctly black and white and striped to the hooves. As one moves further south there is a tendency for the black and white coloration to become less distinct with a brownish background and the striping itself is reduced towards the hind quarters and on the legs.

IMG_8644_zpscc4d57af.jpg

IMG_0442_zpsd50ff732.jpg

IMG_0449_zps1b46a9b3.jpg

IMG_0443_zps91f74ed4.jpg

IMG_0438_zpsa1dee424.jpg

KNPApril2010sharifa166a_zps9aa9309a.jpg

Today it is known that the extinct Quagga (Equus quagga) and the plains zebra are identical genetically and there is a project in the Mokala National Park in South Africa to see if specially selected Plains Zebras known as Witgat Zebras (White Rumped) will eventually result in a Quagga.

White Rumped Zebras

IMG_0249_zps67a064f1.jpg

IMG_0261_zpscbe1e4c4.jpg

IMG_0254_zpsed1854ed.jpg

The project concentrates the still present, but diluted and dispersed Quagga characteristics from Plains Zebra.

The quagga had stripes only till the forelegs, plain white legs and a brownish back.

There is a third species of Zebra known as the Imperial Zebra or Grevy’s Zebra (Equus grevyi) which is found in Northern Kenya and Ethiopia. This is the largest of the zebra, has narrow stripes and rounded ears and is the most endangered one.

• JohnR, AKR1, africawild and 5 others like this

#26 Paolo

Paolo

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,892 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:05 PM

@Panthera Pardus

Common Zebra population are found even further north than Northern Kenya, specifically in the Omo Valley and southern Rift Valley in Ethiopia. Perhaps the population in Nech Sar NP is the most northern in the continent.

Boma NP in what is now South Sudan hosted 20,000 zebras in the early 1980s. If this population would have not become locally extinct, it would likely be the northernmost one.
  • Panthera Pardus likes this

#27 Panthera Pardus

Panthera Pardus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:19 PM

Thanks @Paolo.

#28 inyathi

inyathi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:31 PM

Thanks @Paolo you beat me to it I was about to make the same point myself.

gallery_6520_571_162528.jpg

gallery_6520_571_208887.jpg

Boehm's zebras (Equus quagga boehmi) in Nechsiar NP Ethiopia

I would think that these Nechisar zebras are the most northerly left in Africa but I guess their range in Ethiopia may have extended slightly further north in the past.

The race of zebras in South Sudan is Equus quagga borensis curiously these animals are generally maneless.

Very interesting to see your photos of the 'witgat zebras' in Mokala NP @Panthera Pardus it looks like they're still a bit too stripey for typical quaggas but the brown colouration on their rumps is definitely promising, I think the birth of a zebra with a coat pattern typical of a quagga is probably not too far away.

Here's a link to the Quagga Project for more info

The Hartmann's mountain zebra does just extend south of Namibia into the Northern Cape and are found in three protected areas, though I imagine all of the animals in Augrabies, Richtersveld and Goegap have been reintroduced from Namibia. I would be interested to know if there really are any of these zebras left in Iona NP in Angola as I can't find any up to date info on the web, since Iona is part of a Transfrontier park with Skeleton Coast I hope perhaps it will be restocked with animals from Namibia before too long to either replace missing species or just to inject new blood. In the current climate I can't see desert elephants or rhinos returning to Iona anytime soon but Hartmann's mountain zebras and some other species could certainly be moved to the park.  

For more info on the endangered Grevy's Zebra

Grevy's Zebra Trust

• Paolo, JohnR, africapurohit and 1 other like this

#29 Panthera Pardus

Panthera Pardus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:35 PM

Thanks @inyathi for the additional information and photos.

#30 AKR1

AKR1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:44 PM

Masai Mara, Motorogi Conservancy, 2013

IMG_3069.jpg

IMG_3070.jpg

Naboisho

_MG_0607.JPG

IMG_3217.jpg

OOC:

IMG_3291.jpg

Mara North Conservancy

IMG_9551.JPG

• JohnR, africapurohit, Pennyanne and 2 others like this

#31 Paolo

Paolo

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,892 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

The race of zebras in South Sudan is Equus quagga borensis curiously these animals are generally maneless.

Likewise the zebras in Kidepo. I think they are part of the same population.

It would be interesting whether the zebras in more southern parts of Karamoja (like Pian Upe) are the same or are linked to the northern Kenya population.

Interestingly, you find maneless zebras in northeast Kenya too, for instance in Ishaqbini Conservancy.

Edited by Paolo, 25 May 2013 - 07:49 PM.

#32 AKR1

AKR1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:51 PM

DSC_5842.JPG

• madaboutcheetah, Paolo, wilddog and 5 others like this

#33 Anita

Anita

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,709 posts
  • Local time: 04:15 PM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:08 AM

This is very interesting discussion and a chance for me to clear my own doubts for the last 1 year which after getting them cleared by one guide and then an argument with another, I had kind of shelved in my mind. So this is what I think I know.

The Equus Burchelli has been renamed Equus Quagga which is the same as Plains Zebra. Calling it Burchell's Zebra is a misnomer. Burchell's zebra ( Equus Quagga Burchelli) is a sub-species thought to be extinct after the last one died in 1918 in a german zoo, was later concluded to still occur in Kwazulu Natal and Etosha. It is so close to the Equus Quagga Antiquorum ( Damara Zebra) that they are infact the same and hence the earlier name of Equus Quagga Burchelli applies. So the Plain's Zebra is not really Burchell's Zebra. Burchell's is a sub-species of Plain's Zebra. 

So while Equus Quagga ( Plains Zebra or Common Zebra) is found from as far north as south Ethiopia to southern Africa, the Equus Quagga Burchelli is found only in the belt Kwazulu-Natal , Etosha. The confusion in names comes from the fact that the Plains Zebra was earlier named Equus Burchelli and the Equus Quagga was, a long time ago, thought to be a different species. This has now been corrected for a lot of years now with DNA sampling having proved them to be more a color variant or sub-species of Plains Zebra and infact the following link says that the Plains Zebra in southern Africa show more similarily to Equus Quagga Quagga than to Plains Zebra in east Africa. 

Equus Quagga Quagga is indeed thought to be extinct but this project in Mokala is very interesting ( thanks @Panthera Pardus). I think this paragraph from the link below shows why there is still doubt if the Witgat Zebras could be Equus Quagga Quagga

RETURN OF THE QUAGGA
Bringing back an extinct ‘species’ seems like a near-impossible undertaking – quaggas, after all, were thought to have died out more than a century ago. But then the DNA analysis of museum specimens proved that the quagga exhibited minimal genetic variation from plains zebras and was no more than a colour variant or subspecies. Furthermore, plains zebras from South Africa were found to be more closely related to the quagga than to plains zebras from elsewhere in Africa. In fact, the species’ black-and-white pattern becomes less distinct and more ‘quagga-like’ in the southern reaches of its range. In the wake of these discoveries, the Quagga Project was initiated in 1987 with the long-term objective of trying to concentrate the diluted and dispersed quagga characteristics from plains zebras. Quaggas were distinguished by having black-and-white stripes mainly on their forequarters while their hindquarters were almost solid brown, so the project focused on selecting for breeding only zebras with reduced striping and darker background coloration. SANParks joined the initiative in June 2000, making Vaalbos – and later Mokala – a hub. Young zebras with heavy striping are removed before they reach sexual maturity to ensure that only those with the desired quagga-like traits are kept in the Mokala gene pool. Interestingly, although these animals exhibit reduced striping towards the hindquarters and on the legs, they have a distinctive pale – rather than brown – rump. This aberration has led to the Mokala plains zebra (left) being dubbed the ‘witgat zebra

http://www.stevecunl...phic-Mokala.pdf

• Panthera Pardus likes this

#34 Panthera Pardus

Panthera Pardus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

It is very interesting @Anita and thanks for your input. Even the scientists are in disagreement about some of the classifications.

• Anita likes this

#35 Anita

Anita

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,709 posts
  • Local time: 04:15 PM

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

Zebras in the crater, April 2013. Nowhere have I found such relaxed zebras.

Attached Images

• zebra-eye.jpg
  • zebra.jpg
  • zebra-eye1.jpg
  • soft-zebra.jpg

• ZaminOz, Wild Dogger, JohnR and 8 others like this

#36 Wild Dogger

Wild Dogger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:10 PM

gallery_5715_811_229473.jpg

Stallion in the Ngorongoro Crater

• ZaminOz, JohnR, africapurohit and 2 others like this
Safaris and Ketchup are similar, sometimes you shake the bottle of Ketchup and nothing comes out, you shake and shake and shake and all of a sudden everything pops out.
So donīt stop shaking the bottle, thereīs a lot inside.

#37 Soukous

Soukous

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,010 posts
  • Category 1:Tour Operator
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:56 AM

cmz4.jpg

cmz3.jpg

cmz.jpg

Cape Mountain Zebra, Swartberg Wildlife Reserve, Western Cape

• ZaminOz, JohnR and Terry like this

"if you think you're too small to make a difference, try spending the night in a closed room with a mosquito."

Martin Dunn FRGS

facebook: Wildlife Photography Africa

twitter@wildphotoafrica

#38 Soukous

Soukous

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:59 PM

zebras-2.jpg

zebras-6.jpg

• JohnR, AKR1, Pennyanne and 2 others like this

"if you think you're too small to make a difference, try spending the night in a closed room with a mosquito."

Martin Dunn FRGS

twitter@wildphotoafrica

#39 Soukous

Soukous

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:02 PM

2 zebra stallions going at in in Addo

zebras-fighting.jpg

• Game Warden, Wild Dogger, inyathi and 5 others like this

Martin Dunn FRGS

twitter@wildphotoafrica

#40 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,421 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:28 AM

I know that there are some great zebra pics out there just waiting to be uploaded... how about some Grevy's for instance?

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: photography, zebra

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.