Show us your deer...

Game Warden

A few weeks ago, I decided to buy a used EOS 80D, ahead of my upcoming trip to Chad ( this time next week, I hope I will be safely sound asleep at the Radisson Blu Hotel in N’Djamena dreaming about the Sahara), the 80D is not very different to my EOS 70D that I’ve had for the last 8 years, but I thought besides checking it works, before zipping up my camera bag, I ought to take it out and use it a little bit, before next weekend. When I first spotted these two Roe Deer in the distance, I was only armed with my 70D and wide-angle lens, I wasn’t sure if I went back and got my 80D and 100-400mm, that they would still be around, however, I saw which way they were going and thought there was a chance I might be able to catch up with them. I wasn’t entirely confident that I would find them, but to my surprise I spotted their heads over the top of a rise, I then carefully stalked up behind a nearby tree, getting me much closer than I would normally be able to get to deer, and was able to photograph them for some time. There was a nasty cold wind blowing in my direction, so I knew they couldn’t smell me, I don’t think they could see me that well either or they just weren’t too bothered. Ordinarily, I would very pleased to have been able to get so close and would have wanted to stay there and watch them for as long as they would permit, but the cold wind was so awful, I was quite glad when they moved on, I could find somewhere warmer to be.   

51880589329_60b089c4dd_o.jpg 

Western Roe Deer, England 

51879307767_b22010ae21_o.jpg 

51880924430_7b55c562ec_o.jpg 

I think I should get on fine in Chad with my EOS 80D, and it has the advantage that it takes the same battery as my 70D and also uses SD cards, my 50D has a different battery and takes CF cards, as long as I am organised and safely stow away cards in my main camera bag when they are full, then if either camera needs a new card, I can just grab the first one that comes to hand from my small camera bag, that my 70D and wide-angle will live in and can just grab any battery when I need one, I hope than none are dodgy, but with six of them, if one is dodgy, I can just grab another one.  

• 1 year later...

recently returned from a wonderful Japan trip. really hoped to see brown bears while on Hokkaido island but missed out. still found a few cool wildlife encounters. posting some Sika and Yezo (sika subspecies) deer pics. first two taken at Nara Park near Osaka. the last three were taken traveling around Hokkaido and are the Yezo deer-much larger than the Sika. 

P1070234.JPG

P1070244.JPG

P1070394.JPG

P1070422.JPG

P1070423.JPG