Show us your worldwide arachnids and insects.

Game Warden

Macro is amazing for highlighting the eye detail: fantastic shots and classic against a dark background Rob!

Interesting spider Kittykat.

Yes Matt that's one reason I like macro, you get to see a lot of stuff you wouldn't otherwise see.

That's one ugly critter there dikdik, most of my mates are better looking although some are almost as bad. I've not seen one of them yet, hopefully one day.

Those are fantastic shots! I've nothing even nearly as good to share, but I want to see some more good ones so thought I'd add a few of mine that are already uploaded on my blog (usually with some stories to go with them, whilch I'll link in case anyone wants more information...)

Pardaleodes_incerta_Amani.jpg

Butterflies are certainly insects, so should be permissable here - I'm sure others will have lots of lovely shots? This is Pardaleodes incerta in Amani NR, East Usambara (no common name I know of I'm afraid). And who can't go to tropical Africa and not see an African Monarch:

African_Monarch_Detail.jpg

This one is one of my favourites - Golden-banded Forester. Again from Amani NR this time, but common on the coast.

Banded_Forester.jpg

I've loads more butterflies too (these are all from a post on butterfly familes here), but let's move on. How about a proper arachnid from Mwiba ranch - a place my kids know as "The scorpion place" (Don't think that's on the marketing...):

Scorpion_Mwiba1.jpg

And though the picture has no artistic merit scorpion flourescence is just so cool!

Scorpion_UV.jpg

Back to insects, and these guys really scare me: hope none of you have had any nasty experience of them?

Paederus.jpg

Weaver ants are pretty interesting things too:

Oecophylla_longinoda.jpg

And millipede sex is just odd:

Mating_Millipede2.jpg

There must be others with nice dragonfly pictures around too? This is a Jaunty Dropwing.

Trithemis_stictica.jpg

Anyway, that will do for now! Hope to see more minibeasts soon

Interesting spider Kittykat.

Yes Matt that's one reason I like macro, you get to see a lot of stuff you wouldn't otherwise see.

Thanks, it's a screen grab off my video. Here's another weird Madagascar critter.

8175794986_24ca1d0454_c.jpg

PA276194 Rainbow Bush Locust by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

@Kittykat

Those last bugs look like they have that insect-eating fungus.

@TZbirder
Nice shots and it's good to have some background as well. Your weaver ants looks and act exactly the same as our green tree ants.

27619.jpg
Green tree ants making a nest, Tyrconnell gold mine, near Dimbulah, QLD

Canon EOS 10D, 100macro, off-camera flash, 1/180s, f11

27622.jpg
Green tree ants making a nest, Tyrconnell gold mine, near Dimbulah, QLD

Canon EOS 10D, 100macro, off-camera flash, 1/180s, f16

27617.jpg
One green tree ant carrying another, Tyrconnell gold mine, near Dimbulah, QLD

Canon EOS 10D, 100macro, off-camera flash, 1/180s, f16

Any idea why it is carrying its mate? I doubt they are interested in helping an injured ant, maybe it's dead and becomes food for the nest.

27229.jpg
Green tree ants making nest, Tyrconnell gold mine, near Dimbulah, QLD

Canon EOS 10D, 100macro, off-camera flash, 1/90s, f16

29563.jpg
Green tree ant, Walsh Point, Port Warrender, Kimberley, WA

Canon EOS 10D, 100macro, off-camera flash, 1/60s, f16

Hard to get a sideways shot of them because they are really agro and arc up at anything, therefore they are normally facing the camera. Check the entrails.

@TZbirder (again)

I just spent quite a lot of time reading your blog, really interesting stuff. Now I know why you are so worried about those Nairobi bugs.

I agree about the lunacy of introducing elephants to Oz, but man I'd love to have them here all the same :)

Thanks! The similarities are because they are indeed very closely related, both Oecophylla ants. And your pictures where just the sort of set I was hoping to prompt! Kowing how fast they move, that's a truly amazing set...

@Kittykat

Those last bugs look like they have that insect-eating fungus.

Thanks, that is how they naturally look in their nymph stage. Then they transform inton these weird red things

8175754525_9db3834d4b_z.jpg

PA276313 Flatid leaf bugs by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

• 1 year later...

post-45513-0-20408400-1392035897_thumb.jpg

Caterpillars! (Peru, amazon, August 2007)

Sorry I don't know what they are but I found them fascinating.

• 4 weeks later...

Fruit chaffers, Tarangire NP, June 2008

P1000491.JPG?gl=AU

Neo-tropical Amazonian spider, Tambopata, Peru August 2013

P1030913.JPG?gl=AU

• 9 months later...

Who has more insect and arachnid photos to upload?

• 2 months later...
Game Warden

Let's see some more close ups...

• 2 months later...
offshorebirder

Aye, aye @@Game Warden.

@@graynomad has set the bar exceedingly high with his outstanding images, but I will paddle along in his wake:

Scarlet-Bodied Wasp Moth (Cosmosoma myrodora) nectaring at African Blue Basil. This moth is a wasp mimic, which helps protect it against predators.

8004606172_74e8b9d07f_b.jpg

8004606204_a382c3306d_b.jpg

8004606140_28dcf7cc81_c.jpg

Cow Fly (one of the giant Tabanus species) at Santee National Wildlife Refuge in South Carolina. This huge relative of Horse Flies is not one you want to bite you!

9743716582_8b9b0ea2db_b.jpg

Four-spotted Pennant (Brachymesia gravida) - male

9437400900_f6580df483_b.jpg

Four-spotted Pennant (Brachymesia gravida) - female

9434423299_930e0f9211_b.jpg

Orange Holomelina. This moth species has the most unusual eyes of any moth I have ever encountered:

9405579976_4097e1bfae_b.jpg

Bee Fly (Xenon tigrinus) family Bombyliidae. A Carpenter Bee predator.

14432262575_c2046bc0de_c.jpg

Giant Leopard Moth (Hypercompe scribonia) in a Red Mulberry (Morus rubra) tree, its host plant.

13897869750_f50014b7f3_c.jpg

13897832590_521e54c320_c.jpg

Centipede species, Santee National Wildlife Refuge.

15185494697_aabdf432c2_b.jpg

Hentz's Orbweaver (Neoscona crucifera). This charming nocturnal spider comes out and spins a web each evening and then eats the web and retreats into a hiding place at dawn.

14430954382_5a929b1528_c.jpg

Carolina Wolf Spider (Hogna carolinensis) - largest wolf spider in North America.

14467632507_f0ba1377e1_z.jpg

Carolina Mantis (a young one / early instar):

14245659478_c6de88456a_c.jpg

Mournful Sphinx (Enyo lugubris) nectaring at Mexican Bush Sage just before sunrise.

8050437686_7289a40c33_c.jpg

Pink-spotted hawkmoths (Agrius cingulata)

These last images were taken at night a few years ago with a Canon point-and-shoot (A630) so the quality is not the best. But it gives an idea how long their proboscis is!

1414033542_e58dcfccf6.jpg

1414033538_d6f6e419ee.jpg

1414033526_c66b2e4f3c.jpg

offshorebirder

A friend at work just came and got me to show me this marvelous scarab beetle he saw in the wooded patch behind our building - it is a male Eastern Hercules Beetle (Dynastes tityus). It is huge! I used an iPhone to take the photo, so the image quality is not the best...

In doing some online research, I learned that well-fed individuals are a darker color than this one, and that adults feed on fruit (especially rotten fruit). So I took an aged banana out and smeared a little on the tree bark above the beetle so he could feed if he wanted to. I will keep an eye on it in case the banana attracts ants - but the beetle can fly, drop to the ground, etc. if it needs to, so I figured it was a good move to offer it some food.

18930514129_69c25f0eef_o.jpg

18928915360_163c6b4dff_o.jpg

Edited by offshorebirder

Tom Kellie

A friend at work just came and got me to show me this marvelous scarab beetle he saw in the wooded patch behind our building - it is a male Eastern Hercules Beetle (Dynastes tityus). It is huge! I used an iPhone to take the photo, so the image quality is not the best...

In doing some online research, I learned that well-fed individuals are a darker color than this one, and that adults feed on fruit (especially rotten fruit). So I took an aged banana out and smeared a little on the tree bark above the beetle so he could feed if he wanted to. I will keep an eye on it in case the banana attracts ants - but the beetle can fly, drop to the ground, etc. if it needs to, so I figured it was a good move to offer it some food.

~ @@offshorebirder

SUPER!

Both the beetle and the photos!

There are such large beetle species in North America?

Didn't know that but delighted to learn about them.

Thank you for posting the images and information.

Tom K.