See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Do you always allow 3 hours for international check in on flights?

Flight Check-in Travel

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 kittykat23uk

kittykat23uk

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 4,483 posts
  • Local time: 03:13 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

Thanks for the advice Anita and Hari!

If an experience is amazing enough to be "once in a lifetime," I want to do it every year.
Alex: "Whoa! Hold up there a second, fuzzbucket. You mean like, uh, the live in a mud hut wipe yourself with a leaf type wild?"
King Julian: “Who wipes?”

#42 ZaminOz

ZaminOz

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,987 posts
  • Local time: 10:13 AM
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:06 AM

Anita,
I meant more expensive than non duty free outside the airport. In HK airport they should call it duty added or something ...
  • Anita likes this
Warning, if any safari camps wish to employ me as a guide, I expect a salary far, far, more commensurate than my actual experience!

#43 Anita

Anita

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,709 posts
  • Category 2:---

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:16 AM

True! I once was checking on a Steiner binocs being priced at around HKD8000. Thankfully I had no intention of buying binocs there and then, just passing time, but later checked the price online for the same model and it was something like USD 300(approx HKD2400)!!!

#44 penolva

penolva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • Local time: 02:13 AM

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:47 PM

Jo - couple of things for Mumbai airport, you might be aware of but in case....

1.) You will definitely have to clear immigration there, then customs and exit. Either before immigration or before customs you would need to go to the airline's desk and make sure you can get on a proper airport free coach transfer to the domestic terminal which is 6 km away from the international. I am not entirely sure if you have to collect baggage at the international airport and recheck in at domestic but they will announce that. Or Hari, anyone who has transited same day from Mumbai to another domestic city can verify.

2.) If you guys are planning to take a cab from international to domestic airport - which will be quite cheap ( not more than 4-5 USD payable in INR terms), only take it from the designated pre-paid taxi queue which has a counter on the left side of the exit (as you face exit, it should be on your left side). There will be lot of private cars/cabs/taxis and each will be shouting 'pre-paid taxi' but there really is just one official (pre-paid) counter for the real yellow and black taxis (well 2, but the other is outside the main exit). 

I am flying home from Kochin via Mumbai with Jet Airways. Will I be able to check our luggage through to London HR do you
think? Pen

#45 Anita

Anita

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:15 AM

Pen I have never done a transit in Mumbai.Hari will know much better but I think on the way out should be the same but can never say with our weird rules.

#46 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,077 posts
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:42 AM

Pen, yes you can if on jet thru to Lhr. However, it's a real hassle once you get to the international terminal. They need you to identify your luggage etc etc., not worth the hassle ..... Just clear your bags in Mumbai and go to international terminal for your international connection.

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#47 penolva

penolva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

Hi Hari, thanks for that I had no idea there would be all that hassle. We have about 7 hours between flights at Mumbai so plenty of time to recheck the bags. It was between this long time between the flights or leave Kochin at about 5am so decided to enjoy our last hours by the pool. Thanks so much for all your help re the trains and have a safe trip yourself. Pen

#48 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,077 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:26 AM

No worries!!! Enjoy!

#49 kittykat23uk

kittykat23uk

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

Quick question. My return flight to heathrow out of mumbai is at 0700. Should I aim to get there the full 3 hours ahead or would 2 hour be sufficient. Bearing in mind will be staying locally at a hotel the night before?
If an experience is amazing enough to be "once in a lifetime," I want to do it every year.
Alex: "Whoa! Hold up there a second, fuzzbucket. You mean like, uh, the live in a mud hut wipe yourself with a leaf type wild?"

#50 Anita

Anita

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

Jo, Air India I would say nothing less than 2.5 hours. A lot of middle east flights go through the early am and thats a busy route from Mumbai so expect crowd at check in, immigration and security. One tip for the security line which should be apparent to everyone there but never is - there is a separate ladies line. However at the start it is one line that forks into 2 later on-because everyone queues up together one after the other- I always see that and get myself in by unlatching the middle barricade and moving to the ladies line- usually there is a airport official there and he nods or tells me to go ahead.

Its my least favourite airport for a reason - I have never missed a flight but always got caught in traffic - either just below the new flyovers being built -which is really bad between 10 to 2 that I have experienced ( never gone later than that) , then a smaller security bottleneck just before Departure entrance which can be a bit of a pain - then in Mumbai one has to queue up to enter the building -through security and then its check in-immigration-security. There have been times I have breezed through but those have almost always been on priority check in. 

#51 Anita

Anita

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

where are you staying?

#52 kittykat23uk

kittykat23uk

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

Thanks, Not sure where I am staying as yet, have left that for Jo to sort out. :)

#53 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,077 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:37 AM

Outside of mid-day or super early evening, the Mumbai international terminal is AWFUL ........ definitely plan to arrive early.  Although, atleast the terminal infrastructure is a little better after the recent renovations.  They have outlets like, "Coffee bean and tea leaf" ......

#54 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:32 PM

~ Yes!

I've never arrived less than 3 hours before any international flight in more than two decades.

Given the vagaries of security procedures, I prefer to have as much flexibility as possible.

I don't mind quietly resting at the gate. If a bottle of chilled lemon tea is available, I'm set.

Tomorrow I'll certainly arrive more than three hours prior to check-in.

Tom K.

#55 ExtraordinaryAlex

ExtraordinaryAlex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident
  • Category 2:Tour Operator

Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:58 PM

Ah, @Tom Kellie you put me to shame. Once I arrived 45 mins before an Air Namibia flight from Gatwick. Although a rather dashing man did hold my hand as we ran through the airport, I would absolutely not advocate it, not least because, during the last minute kerfuffle, the seat map got confused and I was allocated a seat in the loo. And while I would have been fine with that, I was reliably informed that was not acceptable for the duration of LGW to WDH. 

• Towlersonsafari and Tom Kellie like this

#56 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:20 PM

~ @ExtraordinaryAlex

True confessions time.

I never imagined this would appear in a public forum.

Decades ago, in the long since faded flower of my youth, I was in Europe for several weeks, gadding about as the young will do.

My return flight to New York City departed from Paris Charles de Gaulle.

That was long, long before anything like mobile phones existed and were in general use.

On the night prior to the flight, staying in an ultra-budget hotel in the 4th Arrondissement, i.e. le Marais, I failed to telephone the airline to reconfirm my flight.

Very BIG mistake.

The next day I trundled out to the airport, blithely supposing that I was more than on-time.

WRONG!

The flight had been rescheduled to 75 minutes prior to the originally scheduled departure.

Hence, I wasn't early, but was LATE!

The check-in counter staff politely but firmly told me that there was “no possibility” as the gate was closing with departure imminent.

Panic.

What to do.

Having no shame and dreading loss of employment, I did what any other feckless young traveller would do — I turned on the hysterics, ginning up as much visual drama as I could muster.

The check-in staff were caught off-guard. My anguished face and body language, my cries of impending doom proved too much for their refined sensibilities.

“Can you run, monsieur?”.

Mais oui!

With the harried and lovely check-in agent, I became what is known as a “runner”. As if filming a television advertisement, we ran through the airport, past the light security of that era, all the way to the gate.

With profuse thanks and “merci beaucoups” aplenty, I stumbled onto the aircraft and into my seat, on my way back across the Atlantic.

As that experience was a wake-up call I'd rather never repeat, I now arrive three hours or more early for all international flights.

Tom K.

• PT123, JohnR, KathBC and 6 others like this

#57 Toffael

Toffael

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:58 PM

I have been travelling minimum 10 times a year for the past 15 years .... and I have never ever gotten to any airport anywhere in the world 3 hours in advance!!!!

I do my traffic research and always arrive anywhere between max 2 hours  to 1 hour 15 mins before the flight departure.  Normally I travel by train in a big city as that is most reliable.  

#58 lmonmm

lmonmm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Local time: 10:13 PM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:37 PM

I always arrive early. The stress for me is the packing and then getting to the airport. Once I'm there...I can chill. Besides, people watching in airports is fantastic.

• ZaminOz and PT123 like this

#59 JohnR

JohnR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:31 PM

@Tom Kellie Paris CDG is an airport where I've also had to run. I thought I had things under control as I flew Lufthansa from Birmingham UK but the flight was delayed so my good margin of a couple of hours to transfer to an Air France international flight to Cotonou had vanished. I could only run when not in the transfer buses and I'd wasted my effort anyway as many more came running up after I arrived. Air France anyway did their own security checks on the apron so I could see that my bag with its precious cargo of board chalk and erasers had made it to the flight too.
  • Tom Kellie likes this
What pays stays.

#60 Dave Williams

Dave Williams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 23 December 2016 - 10:50 AM

One of the big disadvantages of being a regular traveller is complacency! I guess if you travel often there's limit to how many hours of your life you want to spend hanging around in an airpot.

Not long ago I was attending a family wedding and promised my brother and his wife a lift to catch a plane at Heathrow back to their home in Germany. We were at my sister's house just off the M25 outside London. I kept asking if he was ready to leave and he kept saying no hurry.

Wrong.

As we headed to the motorway, just a mile or so away, we heard on the radio there had been a traffic accident. When we got to the junction you could see it was gridlocked. We headed across London instead. We arrived at the very same time the plane was due to take off.

He'd missed it.

To make matters worse he was travelling on a temporary passport because the regular one had been sent off to the Chinese Embassy to get a VISA for an upcoming business trip.

They had come to the UK on non flexible tickets from Frankfurt but there weren't any more flights that day. Given his temporary passport situation and the fact it was due to run out on that day he was advised to get back to Germany without delay. They had to book tickets to Munich, stay overnight, then find their way back to Frankfurt. 

Cost them a small fortune that could have been avoided if we had allowed more than the minimum check in time.

As for me, I like getting to the airport early, having a beer and relaxing( no matter what the time of day) as it's part of my holiday.

Edited by Dave Williams, 23 December 2016 - 10:51 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Flight, Check-in, Travel

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.