New bad weather visitors and identification requested

JohnR

Each bad winter of recent years has brought more birds into my garden such as blackcaps, reed buntings, grey wagtails. Yesterday's snow has seen two more new birds put in an appearance (I blame the bad photography on the weather :rolleyes: ):

a redwing, though it is being harassed by the resident blackbirds so may not be around for long

post-6125-0-92956300-1358609928_thumb.jpg

and a finch that is new to me (redpoll?)

post-6125-0-29124800-1358610043_thumb.jpg

Edited by JohnR

Intriguing title. I thought there was a problem at customs due to some kind of flooding or similar in one of our favorite Africa destinations.

I'm weighing in with Redpoll on #2.

Thanks, Lynn and Jo. It would be nice if they hung around for the Big Garden Birdwatch.

Get some video John and upload it to ST. We'll have our own Garden watch. What day is it on? I'll start a new topic covering the same period where members can upload images and video from their own gardens...

Video, GW, what's that?

Today I got a front view of the finch

post-6125-0-70416000-1358693589_thumb.jpg

I only put out some niger seed today and instantly the goldfinches were on it! Lovely pic.

From the front that finch does not look like a common redpoll which has a beige breast so I am leaning towards a Lesser Redpoll. I found a match in flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/indri_13/8168162525/ which a certain Rainbirder liked so a Lesser Redpoll is my best bet.

• 4 weeks later...

Today another first time visitor to my feeders: a siskin

post-6125-0-99562800-1361055432_thumb.jpg

and a returnee who had deserted me for a neighbour's garden

post-6125-0-19619800-1361055577_thumb.jpg

Nice. Like you John we've been getting new visitors over the past few years including Blackcaps and Redwings. 2 years ago we had huge (20 - 30) flocks of Redwings all over the SE London area, which was very unusual. Not had Redpoll or Siskin though - so I'm green with envy!

We saw a flock of waxwings on the way from work to the vets on Monday :) too late in the day and no cam to get pics though :(

I've never even seen a waxwing let alone photograph one. :angry:

There is a twitter feed to help you find them if that's of interest. #waxwingsuk.