See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Rabies Vaccination

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Tdgraves

Tdgraves

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,716 posts
  • Local time: 06:31 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

In the UK the recommendations are only to have it if you have a prolonged stay or are likely to be in close contact with animals (i.e. you are a vet) and so we have never even considered it

#42 wilddog

wilddog

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:10 AM

I too do not have the rabies jab but get advice from Local GP practice and everything is kept up to date that is legitimately required and rabies has never been one of these in 15 years of Africa travel.

I have  an acquaintance who is planning to return to Africa (he worked there some 35 years ago). He went to the GP practice, submitted his request for nurse advice, got no response so he  took himself off to  a private clinic who advised everything including rabies and one of the hepatitis (cannot remember which ). Then returning to his GP for something else he complained about lack of response (quiet rightly) BUT it transpires that he had already had 2 hep jabs with the GP  and the rabies would not have been recommended.

Money talks. :(

#43 GBE

GBE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Local time: 10:31 AM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:30 PM

There is NO reason for anyone to receive a prophylactic rabies (pre-exposure) rabies vaccination. This is a complete waste of money. If you should be bitten by any animal you can receive a very highly effective post-exposure series of vaccinations.

See here:

http://www.cdc.gov/r...mendations.html

Having just opted to have the vaccine I wanted to point out why there IS a reason.

Post incident treatment for those without the 3 shot vaccination series includes the RIG (Rabies Immune Globulin) shot at the same time as the first PEP (post exposure prophylaxis) followed by 3 or 4 additional PEP shots.  Without the RIG, the PEP is ineffective unless you've had the pre incident vaccine.  While RIG may be readily available in the US, it is in short supply world wide.  The shortage issue is compounded by the storage requirements of 35 - 43*f.  When in remote parts of the bush it's realistic to plan on 24 hours from incident to medical facility; perhaps longer to get to a facility that has RIG available.  Then still, there is the question as to how old the RIG is and was it properly stored.  The advance vaccine buys you a little more time (still time critical) but more so eliminates the need to get to a facility with RIG.

While not reckless, I believe an ounce of prevention gives me latitude to explore with one less concern on my mind.

I'm not a health care professional and only provide this additional/alternate view as a starting point for you to discuss your specific concerns and needs with your GP. 

• egilio, inyathi and SafariChick like this

#44 Safaridude

Safaridude

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,019 posts
  • Local time: 02:31 PM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:36 PM

@GBE

I agree.  No reason not to get it other than the cost.  Rabies occur in epidemics.  Just because there has been no incidents in an area does not necessarily mean there won't be.

I should mention the price tag of $800 or whatever seems insane.  I got my 3 shots many years ago, and I don't recall it being anywhere near that price.

Edited by Safaridude, 27 July 2015 - 09:37 PM.

#45 GBE

GBE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Local time: 10:31 AM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:41 PM

@Safaridude

$1,113 for each of us...  Hard pill to swallow.  Good thing it's an injection!

#46 Safaridude

Safaridude

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,019 posts
  • Local time: 02:31 PM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 01:03 AM

@GBE

Good thing I got my 3 shots 26 years ago!

• GBE likes this

#47 alien

alien

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Local time: 08:31 PM
  • Category 1:Writer
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 28 July 2015 - 02:04 AM

I need one injection in a series, so I plan on doing that during a brief layover at Joburg. There is a couple Travel Clinics near the airport. I think there is one at the airport too. Cost is just a fraction of what is charged in the USA. Because I will be in Malarial areas camping most the time, I plan on picking up my meds(like Coartem and doxy) after I arrive too.

#48 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,017 posts
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:12 AM

I think, if bitten/injured you get 5 shots?  A friend of mine was accidentally bitten when he got in between two of his dogs that were in a fight -

Don't remember details, but I think the shots are spread out over several weeks.

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.